1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Prisoners of our thoughts

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Jun 8, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Prisoners of our thoughts, a book I am currently reading, contains the following powerful quote:-

"Between stimulus and response, there is a space.
    In that space lies our freedom and our power to choose our response.
    In our response lies our growth and our happiness."

It really jumped out at me off the page because this is the space that gives us the opportunity to observe. When anger, resentment or fear etc. is stimulated within us, it is always accompanied with a feeling or sensation in the body somewhere.

Meditation allows us to become consciously aware of these feelings and sensations.

When we accept and unemotionally and consciously observe them they will fade away, leaving space for more creativity, peace and happiness.

Becoming proficient at this brings amazing freeing results - we all have the power to choose. I wish you an abundance of joy and peace :) :) :)

P.S. We all have the power to move beyond the old issues that are still hindering our freedom - through regular meditation we no longer need to be prisoners of our thoughts.

2. newyorker

newyorker Member

Awesome Book, Awesome Quote Pollyanna!! Viktor Frankl Was An Amazing Guy. Ny

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

He was indeed Newyorker. What Viktor achieved with his attitude and meaning for life puts many of our so called challenges into perspective. I wish you continued peace, joy and freedom :) :) :)

4. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

I have not read that book, but I know that a very similar statement in a small tract by a Christian mystic here in Norway changed my life in a matter of seconds, never to be the same again. Basically he said that what is done to you does not determine what you do. You determine what you do. Even though I was only 15 or so at the time, I suddenly realized that this must necessarily be true, and my life turned at that moment. In the years that followed, the revelation was often lost from sight in the dust whirled up by emotions; but when you couple this insight with more awareness and quiet inside, it becomes enormously powerful.

You could say that this small space in which we have freedom is the Now, and by meditation, prayer etc we allow a trickle of Eternity to flow into the Now, gradually expanding it from the pinpoint we start with. There is unlimited "Now" in Eternity, so there is really no upper limit to how much Now - and therefore freedom - one can have in one's life. But as the saying goes, timelessness takes time!

5. islovin

islovin Member

The Space Between

That is exactly what meditation is doing for me Polly.

Another way to say it is that a "reaction" is an unconscious response.

I find that if I take a moment and breathe I can make a choice in that moment...I can choose how I want respond. Then my response is an "action" hopefully when taking that space...my "action" or even "inaction" will be done consciously with love and care.

I am also beginning to understand in depth that meditation raises my level of tolerance. I am noticing that I am less emotionally charged, in certain situations, with certain people, who have triggered my emotions in the past. Every day my emotional tolerance gets greater and greater.

Here is another thought...increasing my own emotional tolerance allows me to become very aware what is my stuff and what is not my stuff. I think I used to think it was all my stuff.

This new found control over my thoughts and emotions is something I am truly grateful for.

Thanks Lifeflow and thanks meditation community for listening.

Irene

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Itlandm, I agree, the wonderful quiet place within, where awareness can be discovered, enjoying each moment and consciously choosing how to responsibly respond brings great freedom, peace and joy :) :) :)

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

That's perfect Irene, just perfect - I am so happy for you and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

8. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hey Irene,
    Really like your feedback about LF10 guided meditation. It somewhat mirrors to a good degree what my LF10 to LF8 "effect" has been. I seem to be calmer......even if i have'nt windsurfed since last year :eek:.

BTW - HUGE kudos on quitting smoking. :) :) :)

shine on

jim

9. islovin

islovin Member

:) :eek: ;) :D

Thanks Polly

Thanks Jim

:) :p ;) :D

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

avec plaisir :) :) :)