1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

People Who Meditate Are Nicer

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Karmoh, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Spiritual egos and personal traits aside, it may be a controversial opinion or maybe I am being biased in that people who meditate are simply nicer people, we make better colleagues and neighbours. We smile more (<<<<just look at that avatar). ;)

Is it hard to believe people who meditate, regardless of spiritual denomination are more generous, selfless and more involved in community life than their nonspiritual counterparts.

Not only are we kinder. We are more likely to give blood, carry donor cards, be empathic to a homeless person, give willing to charity, and be self-sacrificing to family or friends, allow the elderly to take our seat on the bus or train, lend an ear to someone who is a bit down. We are people who were more likely to volunteer, and for more hours, than others.

Yet, despite what I'm saying here, I'm not really claiming that spiritual people or meditators are better people than non-believers. There are a few of my friends who have no meditation practice and would out do me on many aspects of what I saying. And we all know that Spirituality, healing modalities and meditation, just like any area of life attracts a mixed bag of the good, the bad and, the...well, slightly to fully insane.....No names please......;)

By becoming meditators we do not suddenly change nor do we morph in to saints, but as or involvement deepens and calmness becomes our normal day-to-day persona we tend to be more tolerant, we allow space for people and situations. We don’t take neither people nor material things for granted nor covet world goods....so much!

There are non-meditators out there who believe that practicing meditation makes you immediately abandon normal rationality and become radically different, masking the real life that surrounds us...

Strangely my wife who is a non-meditator is a better person through my meditation practice, we agree more and we share a loving kindness that wasn’t there before. Why is she better? It’s because I’m balanced and more empathic to her needs and she feels this. Meditation won’t cure marital problems, but I can assure you problems are less likely.

There is definitely something unique about meditators and this meditation community that has an impact on people for good and I believe that is a good enough reason to celebrate. :)

Peace :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Karmoh

When I read your post earlier today it started my day on a wonderful high. I have been thinking about your words and now realize what connects me to them so much.

It is that the space that we create with meditation practice becomes filled with what lies beneath the surface of our everyday reactions to changing circumstances.

And the tolerance and calmness that becomes uncovered in that space shows me again that that is the basis of our true nature. It is so nice to be reminded of that again.

Michael:)

3. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

This post has triggered deep reflection today for this Soul. Perhaps not just the post, it also being an anniversary of a terrible day in human history.

Looking into the reflection, this is what I saw...

The meditative state is my canoe ride on the river of being. The gentle ride into oneness where separation melts and all the labels fall away.

Most importantly the contexts of right and wrong evaporate. Instead, what lovingly emerges is an energy flow. There is a realisation that some thoughts and actions propell the canoe on the oneness of the water towards a light. Similarly, some thoughts and actions change the direction of the current and the canoe moves in a direction where light fades. Neither is right or wrong but each direction carries "consequences" for the Soul. Love is constant. The variable is awareness.

The 10th anniversary of September 11 context - my awareness was in a very different place 10 years ago. Ten years on, the panorama is very different. Of course there are constants of the past that never change. But also 10 years on, the canoe has moved where awareness increases under the light that gently reveals a very different terrain. Again, no labels to attach to it other than "is".

Emotions cause turbulance in the water. Silence and stillness calms the water. Volitional freedom provides infinite choices. But always there are consequences. Volitional responsibility therefore towers over the two-dimensional concepts of right and wrong.

Thanks for the post Karmoh.

Olmate

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Michael & olmate,

I often look in wonder at the words that appear on this site, all different perspectives, the angles sometimes convoluted, sometimes traditional, yet the underlying message is always the same...

Peace :)

5. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Karmoh,

Nice post, has been knocking around in my head for while now.

If you take the spiritual ring fence off this I think it hold true for all people, as per the friends you mention. I don't think people need to meditate or be into any spiritual pursuit to have a small ego.

Having said that I do think that meditation is one of those pursuits that tend to pull together people who are more sympathetic to other peoples suffering simply because it is some level off suffering that has pushed them to look for some help through meditation.

This rings very true to me. I certainly seem to have more space more of the time between my emotions and my reactions. Also I’ve got better at zipping it and giving others the space to speak. It’s amazing how grateful people can be just to have the full attention of someone and be given the space to speak.

I totally agree, I believe it’s a positive place and has some decent people contributing to it – happy days indeed! :D

6. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

I think meditation allows one to realize that the universe reacts to you as you react to it.

When you approach people with an open mind and avoid fully labeling/categorizing them immediately, people intuitively respond to you in a similar manner.

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Karmoh, just came accross this quote which reminded of this thread:-

“Acquire inner peace and a multitude will find their salvation near you.” - Catherine de Hueck Doherty

Wishing you much peace and joy :) :) :)

8. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Wow Karmoh, just watched the video in the latest Good Life and it totally relates to what you have stated here :)

Wishing you continued peace and joy :) :) :)

9. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

the bells, the bells

[ And we all know that Spirituality, healing modalities and meditation, just like any area of life attracts a mixed bag of the good, the bad and, the...well, slightly to fully insane.....No names please......;)

Not sure I'm fully insane, but getting there:D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. Midnight

Midnight Member

I have definitely fallen in the category of insane during some points of my life since I started meditation. :D

I watched the video from the newsletter as well, and I chuckled when the reporter started talking about enlightenment...and I was a bit shocked at the monk's (was it the Dalai Lama?) answer. Still a pretty cool thing to see meditation is catching on.