1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

meditation posture

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by jada, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jada

jada Member

i m frustrated...lately i cant find the right posture to meditate, i use to do it in the half lotus position, but my neck used to hurt a little, so i tried it lying down, at first it was ok, than the pain came back again. it seems that when i get deep into meditation i find that i am tilting my head backwords without knowing...has anyone ever experience something similar with postures,? i m enjoying meditating with lifeflow, i don t want to stop meditating because of this. any advice is VERY appreciated...
    :(

david

2. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

You could try a few different things- try meditating in a comfortable chair with a high back such as a recliner type, or try sitting on the floor on a large cushion with your back and head against the wall (you would need to bolster your lower back and be in a very slightly reclining position), also do a few gentle neck-rolls to sort of warm up your neck before AND after meditating- this really helps. I used to get a stiff neck often after meditating-still do at times- the slight reclining positing with head support and the neck-rolls was the key for me. After I became more experience it all got easier.

3. M L K

M L K Member

Hi, David,

I am wondering if you only have the neck pain when you meditate or if it occurs throughout your day. If the latter, you might benefit from some bodywork, such as cranio-sacral therapy. Other than that, I can tell you that I often experience my head wanting to tilt back when I sit in meditation; I stay there as long as it is comfortable and then gently bring it forward. I also sometimes experience my head turning quickly from side to side. This seems to have to do with releasing something, and while it would look VERY strange to an observer, it isn't at all uncomfortable -- it feels strangely good.

And while it isn't the type of traditional meditation that most people on the forum talk about, I sometimes let myself "track" the somatic felt-sense, such as a sore neck, as that is one way the body-wisdom points out where we are holding trauma. Often simply tracking, i.e., noticing and then naming as best you can what you are noticing, then continuing to notice and name, notice and name, will support the nervous system in discharging the contraction. It's a relatively bare awareness, not analyzing what is happening, just noticing and describing what comes up. Anyway, I sometimes move into this type of noticing awareness while listening to the LifeFlow, and then move back to the quieter awareness when that feels appropriate. Best, Margaret

4. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

MLK... Great insight, which got me to thinking. I see a chiropractor for some spine issues I've had for a while. For example, if I sit and have to support my upperbody by myself without leaning back on a chair, I find my upper neck getting sore and uncomfortable.

I go to a chiropractor, but sometimes I feel like he's just setting me up to have to keep coming back. He says I have a reverse curvature in my neck. This causes me to need to meditate while sitting in a chair.

I say all that to ask if there's any meditation techniques that you recommend that could benefit my back and spinal cord issues?

5. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Perhaps Kriya Yoga which is essentially the same as what is called Spinal Breathing pranayam. In the Kriya yoga tradition there is also the Maha Mudra which is a sitting and bending forward asana combined with the Kriya Pranayam. Difficult to do but eventually really frees up the back and spine.

6. M L K

M L K Member

Hello Meditation Man and all,

I agree with Chillipeppa that yoga could be an important avenue to explore -- carefully -- for spine issues.

As for the tracking I described above, I learned it through a modality called Somatic Trauma Resolution (STR), developed by Sharon Porter of Health Wave Institute. Sharon draws from her background in Somatic Experiencing (SE, developed by Peter Levine) and Polarity. And I'll mention, too, that Levine was influenced by Eugene Gendlin's work on the felt-sense which has come to be called Focusing. Anyway, I would recommend looking for an STR or SE practitioner in your area. As you do the work with a practitioner, you quickly learn how to track, which you can do by yourself. I cannot exaggerate how gentle yet potent a tool the tracking is. I LOVE it! :)

Warm good wishes, m

7. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

I was doing yoga for about a year and a half, until I had my first child 2 months ago. I need to exercise my willpower and start going again. The sessions are just so darn early in the day. That's really an excuse, as I know deep down I could even do the yoga stuff that's On-Demand on cable.

I've been so consumed with increasing revenue for the household and seeking financial freedom as of late that my physical body maintenance has fallen-off tremendously. I normally worked out several days a week. Now I've lost muscle mass, as I haven't been in the gym as much, I'm used to looking at a nice body, now I feel skinny, my clothes are way looser.

I have to figure out a way to get back in the gym.

OK, sorry for the rant. :rolleyes:

8. jocopa

jocopa Member

Ah yes, I think a lot of people have problems with this.

I have actually had really good results by using a kind of stool thing for half kneeling on. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, I'll try to find out. But it is wooden and in the shape of a "T" You sit on it with your legs going back underneath in a kneeling position.

I also saw this interesting article about meditation cushions (meditationskissen) however, it's in german, so if you don't read german, you may have to translate it using google!