1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is there something wrong?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Dgno, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Dgno

Dgno Member

I have been trying to mediate for 30 years, but I have never had any kind of "special" experience. I have been using LifeFlow for about a year and still nothing except background sounds. I have moved through the program and am now on #4. I've tried mantras, watching my breath and "just sitting," but nothing happens. I do this every morning and only experience "quietness" and satisfaction at being persistent. I really believe meditation is a "way", but it does not seem to work for me. I have never experienced anything like samadhi. I feel I am wasting mt time and money on Lifeflow. Is there any help fpr me?

2. Grey

Grey Member

may i ask what you expect to happen or do you expect something to happen during meditation?

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have been meditating with LifeFlow since december 2007, and I too haven't experienced a "samadhi" state. BTW with LifeFlow 10 to 1 that's almost impossible to achieve because samadhi is related to different brainwave states, just so you know. You are most likely to reach samadhi when listening to the gamma-entrainment products like Nirvana, which is offered only after you have completed LF 1. But even then, I have been listening to it for almost 2 years, and still no samadhi. It will come when you are ready. It is Grace, not something you can force, except with some Yoga methods that are recommended to do only with an experienced teacher.

But I have always enjoyed my meditation sessions, and felt great stress relieve, even when meditating without LifeFlow.
    If you don't even feel that, there has to be something wrong with the basics, that is the meditation itself.
    Some people expect miracles from LifeFlow alone, but it is only a meditation enhancer. If your meditation isn't giving at least some feeling of letting go of stress, then LifeFlow can't help either.

My recommendation is to do a little experiment.
    We need to do a process of elimination here, so it is crucial that you report back to us.

Try a meditation session of about 20 minutes WITHOUT LifeFlow.
    Do it any way you are used to or like best.

If after those 20 minutes you still feel the same, not rested, or fit, or able to take on the world again, stress free or however you want to describe it, I have to urge you to forget about everything you think you know about meditation, and with an open mind, take the free meditation course that is offered by this site.
    Follow it to the letter.
    Then report back here.

If you do feel better after this test-meditation, please report back here too.

4. olmate

olmate Member

Perfect stillness and silence is one of my favourite places.

Sometimes I find it. Sometimes I don't. Neither seems right or wrong. Where ever I am, just is. But everyday's contemplation seems fresh and new.

And for that, I am grateful.

Olmate

5. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

Dropping the story....

There is the often repeated Zen story of the monk going to the master believing they had experienced samadhi, kensho, satori or whatever and wanting to know what to do next. To which the Zen master would always respond 'So what ? Carry on meditating !' The teacher was in effect saying drop the wanting. So difficult though :mad:

Graham

Ps Ive been meditating for 35 years, no peak experiences but the valley is pretty amazing :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Interesting way to answer, Edwin :D

It is just, that the way of yoga is the way of reunion. It is through devotion and a certain way to live ones life, and through power ones prana up, so that one is able to withstand the power of samadhi, that brings these gifts. Meditation is the very basic form of these processes. And all those siddhis are only scenery on the way back to god, and i believe they are mostly attained when the theres no ego anymore who could abuse them.

I just can tell from my absurd short experiences with those practices, and ive never experienced such stillness and ecstasy. It is probably the stillness, i already brought from meditation, where pranayama just kicked in on a fertile soil, as Yogani would say :)

7. Midnight

Midnight Member

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~Lao Tzu

It's not Lifeflow or anything outside you that's the problem. What's happening is your mind is making too much noise. When you want something too badly your mind will watch, wait, try, struggle, watch again, wait, try, and keep struggling until it tries to get what it wants. It wants control. It wants to be able to reach these states whenever it wants. It will identify with its wanting and start thinking about it all the time, labeling it as a "problem" and such.

The only thing you need to do is realize that your mind is doing all this. Let go of the wanting. Let go of everything. Your mind will bargain with itself and think "If I let it go, it will never happen. I won't get what I want". This is an illusion. If you can accept that the "map isn't the territory" (or things aren't really the way your mind believes them to be) you can let go of these mind-created problems.

The best thing to do is relax. If you really relax, meditation will benefit you regardless of if you feel it right away.

Download the free Discover Meditation course and follow it. With time, the mindset will occur in your naturally. I recommend starting the series over too, and using a good pair of over the ear headphones.

8. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Edwin, (or anyone else in the know) do you have any more info on this?
    I'd love to know more....

Thanks
    Bhavya

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  9. Edwin

Edwin Member