1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Intro - at Last

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Karmoh, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi All,

I have been posting here for awhile, but neglected to introduce myself.

To give you a clear picture of myself I thought it best to give an outline of what brought me to this point in my life

Nearly 5 years ago I awoke from somewhere to something. Not enlightenment or clarity but an acceptance of who I am and what I had become. For the first time in my life I was not scared, nor was I acting out the facade that had become my life.
    My wife asked me to attend a self help/spiritual guru type seminar in our local town hall. It was over 2 days and was free. Although the seminar was bible based on the parables of Jesus, a lot resonated within. It wasn't the religious rhetoric but rather an understanding that Jesus knew something, but nobody listened to what he was actually saying.

The shell cracked when surfing the Internet one evening. I came across a JPG of a Buddhist monk meditating. I was drawn to this image so deeply I thought I was in a trance, the peace and compassion emanating from that image had such a profound affect I was speechless, later I realised I was actually thoughtless. I saved the JPG to my hard drive and went to bed. I promptly forgot about that image or so I thought. The following weekend I was browsing a local book shop, I was an avid junk novel reader, but this day for some reason I was looking through the inspiration/spiritual section when I picked up a book called The Power of Now. Now! I thought there’s a novel concept, why hadn’t some thought of that before, I was that naive. I brought the book and read in one sitting and to be honest I was changed, that night I sort out the Image of the monk meditating and the cog turned and locked in to place.

For the next 6 months or so I thought a lot about meditating and tried unsuccessfully (or so I thought) I wasn’t able to sit for long, so soon gave up. I thought about the Christian God and Jesus, even went to church once, but that wasn’t the path I wanted. I read a few self-help books and started saying affirmations, took up Tai Chi and Qigong.

A few years ago, my wife was visiting her elderly parents; her father (now deceased) was terminally ill, it was during this time that I would have moments of clarity and was able to show compassion and honesty in dealing with the on-coming death. The words that would appear were clear and precise, sometimes they seemed slightly harsh as I was new to this, but my wife took comfort in these minor teachings on death and subsequently living on in others. I must point out at this time I hadn’t discovered Buddhism these where just my thoughts and openness.

The switch came when my wife picked up a book in the hospice and began to read, the book was a novel loosely based on Buddhist teachings, and she mentioned it to me. Umm, I thought! Buddhism heard of it, haven’t a clue what it’s about. I knew it was based on the teachings of Buddha, but in my mind it was a religion, chanting monks and sitting cross legged on the floor. Ah! Monk, sitting, Meditating, that Image again. Who is he and what’s he about. After an evening of research I had found Buddhism and Ajahn Chah.

I read books, scoured the Internet, listened web casts and audio books. All involving lots of different traditions of Buddhism, I read about meditation and Zen. I started to research local Buddhist groups and centre’s. I went to teachings and meditation days and weekend retreats by the local Kadampa Buddhists, but after 18 months of trying NK Buddhism I realised that their methods are not for me, not because they’re wrong but because I couldn’t find a true connection.

As a result, here I am. Each morning I complete some basic Qigong and Yoga (prefer Yoga to Tai Chi), and then sit in Meditation for about 45mins, sometimes less, sometime more.

I haven’t been able to forget the image of Ajahn Chah meditating and I have this image framed and close to where I meditate, why that image resonated so much within I have yet to understand.

Although I read a lot about Thai forest Buddhism, Western Buddhist Psychology, Meditation and Spirituality in general I have yet to find the glue that binds it altogether. Some days the path is clear and others it’s overgrown and hidden, meditation is clearing the path, but the undergrowth is deeply rooted.

Thanks for listening. :)
    Mark

2. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

Thanks for sharing that Mark. Eckhart Tolle has a lot to answer for !

Your story brought to mind the quote... 'One light, light that is one, though the lamps be many' I think it was by an English Christian mystic of about the C16 - Thomas Traherne.

Graham

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Karmoh and thanks for a wonderful introduction to yourself.

I can certainly resonate with where you are coming from, there are a lot of similarities between what you say for yourself and where I've been following in my own path.

Aside from the Tai Chi, Qigong, Reiki, NKT Meditation workshops (yes, I've been there too!) and lots and lots of reading on various subjects (scientific and 'spiritual'), the one class that I've been attending that has resonated with all the previous knowledge, including the buddhist teachings, and helped to put a framework of understanding around it, has been based around Vedic teachings (Advaita Vedanta). These teachings and the practical application of them has been given to me by a branch of the School of Economic Science (the course is called Practical Philosophy), and they have a sister charity called the London School of Meditation (and yes they teach Transcendental Meditation, but not by that name and have been doing so for longer than the TM organisation). They do seem to have a couple of branches in New Zealand looking at their website...

International Locations | Philosophy Courses | School of Economic Science | School of Economic Science

... so you may wish to look them up.

A search of the web will give various information about them, some good and some bad (they've been called a 'cult' in the past, but I've certainly not found that, and I have my wits about me not to get dragged into such things). Essentially they hold weekly teachings, allowing for group discussion and then some 'homework' each week, which is simply to take away a concept or idea and try to put it into practice or observation over the week to return and discuss the following week. You can take what you want from the teachings and the point of the practical homework is so that you can determine for yourself what is true and what works for you. Essentially the whole teachings are about living in the present moment (very much Eckhart Tolle's cup of tea), mindfullness, understanding the True Self, and leading to practicing meditation.

Not sure if there's a local course running near you or not, but thought you may be interested. ;)

Hugs

Giles

4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Oneflewover,

For some reason I read you moniker as oneflower

Yes that strange little man, he doesn’t say much we don’t already know, but allows us to understand the Ahh! Moments. :)

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the kind words and link, They do run courses in Christchurch, I'll contact them and find when the next starts. Hopefully the building is still there!

Sometimes a nudge in the right direction is all that it takes. I’ve come to understand that it’s not answers I seek; I feel I have the answers but do not understand the questions. If that makes sense. :confused:

PS I forgot, I have completed Reiki 1 too. (not 2)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  5. olmate

olmate Member

G'day Karmoh,

Thanks for your contibutions. I value your views and enjoy hearing your experiences.

Nothing but the best...

Olmate