1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Zen meditation - Concentrate or Empty mind

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by satsujin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. satsujin

satsujin Member

I am considering switching to the Zen mode of meditation while lying down but am unsure how to meditate while doing so. Do we concentrate on something? Like our sense of awareness? I know some recommend concentrating on breathing initially for zen but I've already done breath awareness and prefer to concentrate on my sense of self.
    Or do we empty our mind and concentrate on nothing? Different sites give unclear answers to this question. TIA!

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi satjusin,

here's something that may help you:-

"What you should avoid doing is “technique surfing”. Don’t try one for a few days and then switch to another. Decide which one you want to try first and stick with it for at least a few months. Give it a chance to start working. How will you know if it’s working? You’ll begin to experience some of those long term changes mentioned earlier.

Don’t switch back and forth between techniques. That’s like getting several dozen different books, reading only the first page of each chapter in every book, then wondering why the material you’ve just read doesn’t seem to form a consistent whole..." To read more click on the link below

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. MeditationBuff816

MeditationBuff816 Member

How long do we stick to a technique ideally?

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

I would say you should stick with it for a few weeks/couple of months to see if you are benefitting, before choosing another technique if it's not working; unless of course it is really obvious straight away that the technique doesn't suit you.

Hugs

Giles