1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Yoga

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Peaceful Warrior, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of trying yoga as I believe it would be a great addition to my meditation.

Does anyone know of a simple guide, hopefully free :p

Also, would be interested to hear from anyone who actually does yoga daily? what are the main benefits you notice?

Cheers, PW ;)

2. ellen

ellen Member

Hi Peaceful Warrior, I did yoga about 4yrs ago for over a year and thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't believe that such simple looking poses were not that simple after all and actually required a lot of strength and agility!!!!
    After sticking to it I found it quite powerful as I really felt in control of my body, not only had I gained strength but actually got quite flexible.I followed a beginners -advanced dvd with Barbara Currie she's British (as I live in a foreign country which did not offer yoga at that time.) Actually I've been contemplating starting up again -as to this day none of my workouts leave me feeling quite the same as yoga. Yoga taught me to pace my self and was relaxing too and despite not having done it in a few years I have retained some flexiblity ! I remember at the time thinking that I really should pick up meditating too! Well 4 years later here I am ! Anyway I did come across this site check it out on my stumbleupon -eleanorigby is my username its in my favourites (as I dont know if allowed to show its web address here.)
    kind regards-ellen

3. dobdotcom

dobdotcom Member

I felt intimidated by the idea of yoga for years until I met a teacher who took me through it really effortlessly. A year ago I had trouble getting downstairs as I have (had?) arthritis and suffered badly in my knee joints. My teacher gave me a 15 minute regime which I do every morning (its no chore believe me) and I am so much more supple now, I am very grateful to her and her generosity.

I go to a class one evening a week and although I can't yet do every posture, I'm doing things I couldn't have believed even six months back. I have no hesitation in recommending yoga and find the meditational aspects of it dovetail nicely with my practice here.

Good luck....

4. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

Thanks Guys

You have inspired me to look further into Yoga..

I will post here if I find anything useful online that members can also make use of.

Cheers again , PW ;)

5. Maribo

Maribo Member

6. moonchild

moonchild Member

hi
    im new to this but i saw your comments and decided to comment myself.

my mother has quite bad arthritis in all of her joints but especially her knees and wrists, can yoga in anyway help her flexibility or help her ease the pain??

look forward to hearing your opinions

thanks

7. Maribo

Maribo Member

I would say rather not, for the beginning. May be some acupuncture could help.

8. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

I practice Bikram Yoga and find it a great companion to the more sedate forms of mediation. It is a moving meditation that really centers one in the moment, and you learn to feel your body and to relax muscles you didn't know you were tensing. The heat is not for everyone, but one you get used to it, it actually helps.

It is best in done in a class, but can be done at home. I find myself much more relaxed and calm if I get enough yoga in each week, and that doesn't even take into account the added flexibility and strength.

Bikram Yoga

9. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

I practice Bikram Yoga and find it a great companion to the more sedate forms of mediation. It is a moving meditation that really centers one in the moment, and you learn to feel your body and to relax muscles you didn't know you were tensing. The heat is not for everyone, but one you get used to it, it actually helps.

It is best in done in a class, but can be done at home. I find myself much more relaxed and calm if I get enough yoga in each week, and that doesn't even take into account the added flexibility and strength.

Bikram Yoga

10. Aghora

Aghora Member

Hi there!
    I practice a form of yoga using posture and breathing techniques to open chakras and channels of energy/nadis. Usually meditation comes after opening the energy systems. It is a massive difference when you practice meditation after you open your system of energy.
    It was in a book ( I think :confused:it was about quantum touch therapy ), where it was an interesting piece of information- it was said that in some islands where the Christian missionaries went to convert everybody to their religion, the locals named the white people using a name that in translation meant 'without breath', because they were extremely surprised to see the white people dropping on their knees to pray to their god without preparing themselves using breathing techniques-which in the local ancient culture were used to prepare the mind and energy to rise above the levels of materiality…
    Experiment for yourself... I think it is worth trying!

11. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thought i use old this thread for my question, as its title fits perfect :)

Im trying to find a yoga class or something similar atm, and i just dont find something suitable. Maybe something is waiting around the corner anyway hehe

My question is, is "Kundalini" yoga suitable for beginners? I thought this might fit somehow in my meditation progress, but im not sure if it can suit for yoga newbies.

Maybe someone knows more :)
    Pan

12. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

It is no secret around here that I had a bad encounter with Kundalini. But then again I was more of a newbie than you are, I did not have a guru or qualified instructor (I am not sure how qualified you can be in this area without being a guru though), and my kundalini reacted very strongly. This varies wildly from person to person and I don't know that it is can be predicted.

The more secular and westernized yoga schools are usually just doing the postures, breathing exercises and relaxation, and generally encouraging healthy living. These and Kundalini yoga can both be seen as derived from Hatha yoga, but in radically different directions.

As you may see from the Wikipedia discussion pages, there is an outright battle between those who claim Kundalini Yoga is pure good and absolutely harmless, and those who think it may lead to permanent brain damage if you don't do it closely with an Awakened guru. So, uhm, buyer beware?

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

I checked for you Pan, and the best advice would be not to rush Kundalini.

Basically what Itlandm said. Not bad for a pinnsvin ;) Itlandm !

Better realise the Self first, then Kundalini will come when it is time.
    Other forms of Yoga are a bit "safer".

At least that is what Wolter Keers used to say, the first Advaita teacher to bring Advaita to the Netherlands

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks guys, ill do as u suggested. Im sometimes a bit too curios and often get a bleeding nose from it. Itlandm, have you written down your experiences somewhere?

Found a nice place for asthanga yoga, which is more suitable for me. Realising the self, yes... sounds good :)

15. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

No, I haven't written any more anywhere than I have written here. It all happened long before the Internet age after all. I have posted short warnings in another place or two.

Don't get me wrong. Depending on who you ask, Kundalini is the Indian concept closest to the Holy Spirit, or the Authentic Self, or the Divine Energy in creation, or the Divine Presence / Shechinah, something like that. It is certainly seen as a good thing, and there seems to be a vague agreement that all spiritual practice - including that of non-Indian religions - will raise a person's Kundalini.

What I am referring to is a set of practices specifically designed to release the Kundalini in a movement from the base of the spine up to the crown. If the person is receptive to this, it could rapidly escalate into an orgasm-like (and then some!) experience in which the normal consciousness is blown out in a white-out of the mind for an unpredictable amount of time. For many people however the only thing that happens is that the microcosmic circulation begins operating more strongly, which is surely harmless and a good thing. Unfortunately there is no known way to foretell who will just be more awake and alert at their job and who will spontaneously make strange uncontrollable movement at random times for the next several years. (No, I did not get that far, but it certainly felt like something was trying to take over my brain.)

Since increasing the level of Kundalini is pretty much the purpose of any yoga, there may be schools that use the name "Kundalini Yoga" even if they don't focus on those particular practices I have mentioned above.

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for that info Itlandm, sounds fun LOL

Realising the self, and dropping ones ego might be a good start for raising the kundalini (maybe it will raise on its own at that time?). If theres nothing to drop, one might not go crazy *gg*

Looks sweet in this video... YouTube - Introduction to Kundalini Yoga

17. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

kundalini yoga - good stuff

Hi,

I recently got myself got stressed about money and stuff and I went back to Yoga. I have a kundalini yoga DVD by Maya Fiennes, 'Detox and De-Stress' which is so gently and beautifully meditative, she includes music and most of the postures are sitting, so it is ideal for a morning yoga practice when one is not 'wide awake'. It brings me into the day in such a spiritual way that I definitely recommend it. It is gentle enough for beginners and begins with a mantra and ends with a mantra, I do half of it in the week, and the whole hour at the w/end - the latter half is more strenuous.

She has an intro on there from Deepak Chopra who obviously respects her and enjoys being in her presence. If you are looking for getting into yoga you need a good teacher, a class would be ideal, but if not, I can recommend this, even for beginners, I have practiced yoga on and off, for 20 years, I went to class 4/5 times a week for years (if you are unsure of my experience in this matter). With yoga, it is all about the breath which puts one into a mediative state, therefore, remember, breathe in 'Let' breathe out 'go'. You should be breathing in and out on each posture to get the full benefit, breathe in deeply and then let go gently as you go into the posture, on the Maya Fiennes DVD she is very clear about this, so it is easy to follow. I would not normally be so firm about advertising a particular DVD but this one is so spiritually fulfilling I want to share it with everyone on here! :):):):)

Enjoy!:)

18. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for the tip! Does it matter if i use one week hatha and the other week asthanga/kundalini/whatever dvd? I like the variety!

On the other hand, its surely a difference to do kundalini yoga after 20 years of practice, or to get with it into yoga.

So after 20 years of yoga, whats the benefit? (my mind thinks in such patterns :) )

Thanks
    Pan

19. Panthau

Panthau Member

Just wanted to tell about my yoga experience. Im doing yoga now regulary for maybe 3 weeks, and its just a miracle. I and my girlfriend feel so better, i have much better access to blocked emotions, my meditation now is everytime like flying and its just pure fun and totaly relaxing, while my body gets a little workout. As everyone is different, everyone will experience different things, but i can only recommend it to anyone that wants to experience relaxation :)

Atm im doing Hatha Yoga (Ralf Bauer DVD´s) but want to change to Raja/Ashtanga when the time is ready for it.

20. JCG

JCG Member

Panthau,

This is a very uplifting post to read. I have been debating wether or not to begin yoga but you have just made up my mind. :)

It can't hurt to try these things.

Jack