1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Work smart, not hard.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Jun 15, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

We're often taught to work hard, however we are seldom taught to work smart. For decades I tried what for me was the hard way, to learn to meditate with no success.

Then I met Michael Mackenzie and learned the smart and easy way. He showed me that Scientific research has proven that you can control your mental states by controlling your brainwaves through the power of brainwave entrainment.

He explained how several researchers found that different states, including those of super learning, enhanced creativity, problem solving and meditation correspond to certain precise brainwave patterns and that when you are in specific deeper brainwave states, your brain is able to naturally release serotonin which is your body’s natural happy drug :)

When he said you also release a multitude of healthy hormones and chemicals including Human Growth Hormone which slows down the ageing process I was sold.

I remember someone saying to me it was like cheating with meditation, however it has worked amazingly for me :)

Strangely enough, when I got a bicycle for exercise about a couple of years ago, I found the hills where I live were killers for me and sometime later I got an electrically assisted bike.

Once again, someone told me I wouldn't get fitter using assistance.

After enjoying cycling up and down hills to shop in the local village for the last nine months, I recently noticed how I now cycle up hills in third gear instead of first.

My husband was 65 recently and because I enjoy my bike so much, we got him one for his retirement gift. As we were cycling up a hill a few weeks ago he asked me which gear I was in - the outcome was I was in third gear and he was in first.

Now although he is 65 and I am 55 he has amazing physical stamina. He cuts down trees and looks after about 3 acres of gardens on top of doing our accounts.

A few weeks later however, (last night, to be exact) we both cycled up to our youngest daughters for tea and yes, you probably guessed, we were both in third gear :) :)

Had I have continued to work hard with traditional meditation or cycling I wouldn't have left the starting block.

When I read the statement "work smart, not hard" many years ago I didn't realize what good advice this was. Now, I highly recommend it because I'm lovin it and so is my hard working husband :) :) :)

2. islovin

islovin Member

Working Smarter NOT harder...Love it!!!!

That is my saying....For most of my adult life I have been saying "I work smarter not harder."

Love your analogy about the bike it is sooo true. I'll tell what else I have noticed with physical work outs that I am sure would also correlate to mental work outs...such as meditation. If you stop for some reason...like in the winter I exercise less or sometimes not for a month or two at a time. The following summer my body does not start back at zero. It starts at maybe one or two steps back from the level I had my body trained at the end of the previous summer. So there is a cumulative effect that goes on and we are able to build on our current level even if for some reason we had to stop or take a break.

I for one, don't ever want to stop meditating or exercising. The other aspect that I am experiencing is that physical and mental exercise actually help each other. If you do both you will acheive faster results. Not cheating just working SMARTER!

Great Post Polly...thanks for sharing!!!

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

If no one had thought of working smarter, we would still use the flint handaxe that was popular for a million years. :)

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

You're welcome Irene and I agree with you, a balance of exercise and meditation do go well together. :) :)

We would indeed Itlandm. We also would probably only know our own tribes and possibly neighbouring ones. Now the whole world is like a village :) it's amazing - so much to learn and discover :) :)

I wish you both much peace and joy on your journeys of self discovery :) :) :)

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Heh, one could almost say that lazyness is a blessing.

People have always been thinking " there has to be an easyer way "
    Unfortunately lately in the world the word "easyer" has been replaced with "faster". And most people don't notice.

Speaking of working smarter instead of harder, how is your plan going of recucing the amount of working hours for you Pollyanna ?

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Edwin, we cut 2 hours off each working day a couple of weeks ago which has made a great difference to us all. We did this only half way to hitting our goal because I felt we needed more balance in our lives.

If we need to put in a little extra time occasionally, we are prepared to do whatever is necessary, however, we seem to be as productive as we were before.

Personally, I put this down to clearly focusing on the present moment, whether it be work, rest or play.

Here's an example of how I used to "operate" a few years ago:-

I needed to sort out my kitchen cupboards, wardrobes, clean the cooker and catch up with my ironing. I'd think about this for weeks, which clouded my worktime and created guilt in my relaxation time :( My head was cluttered with everything, all the time, it seemed like a mammoth task to me and I kept putting it off.

When I finally began the cupboards, which probably should take 3 hours of effort, I would find myself, 4 hours later immersed in an old box of photographs I had found and the contents of the cupboards all over the place :eek: AND ONLY 2 HOURS LEFT BEFORE DINNER NEEDED TO BE ON THE TABLE!!!

I was constantly finding distractions away from something I wasn't enjoying doing and the state of my kitchen probably mirrored the state of my mind :eek:

The power of now is truly a revelation to me. Meditating with LifeFlow has allowed me to clear all the clutter, focus on whatever I am doing in the present moment and enjoy it.

A clear mind has brought me such peace and enjoyment and I wish you an abundance of the same :) :) :)

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks Pollyanna !

That is great to hear.
    I know what you mean.

Strange thing is, it used to be an effort to "stay in the now".
    Now it flows without effort, and I don't take things as serious as I used to.

Of course certain things need attending, but it seems as if they are doing their own work, as if my body and mind know what to do effortless, and I just observe it all happening, full of wonder about the beauty of it all.

No matter how much happens at the same time, inside there is a source of calm, of stillness as Tolle describes it.
    I used to have to look for it, but now I live from it. It is the basis from where I live my life.

The same with tasks like you described with your kitchen.

Just start working, and allow it to happen by itself, meanwhile the stillness makes you feel as if you are doing nothing, things are happening by itself.

And it has gotten quiet inside :)

8. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I'm so pleased for you Edwin - one other thing I notice is that because I am engrossed in whatever I am doing, time just flies - what seems like 5 or 10 minutes often, is actually an hour or two. I am often totally amazed with how fast the time has moved on - not that it matters - it's just really surprizing - do you experience this??

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yes, and sometimes exactly the other way around :confused:

Sometimes I check the clock expecting an hour to have passed, and it is only 15 minutes. And sometimes it's the other way around.

Time has no real meaning lately.

I know that it's not enlightenment, because I still notice my ego, but the egoless state sometimes 'happens' for an hour, 2 hours... weird stuff...

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Just remembered what Michael says in Discover Meditation about the woodcutter. If he had worked smart and taken a little time out each day to sharpen his axe he would have achieved so much more and felt good about himself.

Because he didn't realize this, he just kept working harder and harder until he became defeated, exhausted and able to achieve only a small percentage of what he had done initially :( A great analogy Michael, thankyou :) :) :)