1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Wondering if my Lifeflow 10 downloaded coprrectly.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by keithmay51, Aug 20, 2013.

1. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Hello all. I've been listening to the free demo for several days and today received the email offer of the discounted price of $7. for the lifeflow 10. So I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I've just finished downloading it and listening to it. . . And well, I've gotta say I'm a bit disappointed... Unlike the free demo, on this recording the water sounds, the squeaky cricket chirping sound, and the fluttering sound are very loud. And the chime sounds are extremely low. I mean they are just BARELY discernible. Like they are way way way out there in the far distance. It was these chiming sounds that I found so relaxing while listening to the demo. And quite frankly listening to this one I just downloaded, I find it rather irritating. And I'm wondering how is something that irritates me so gonna help me in reaching a state of meditation. Anyone else here found this to be the case? or maybe mine didn't download properly? or maybe this $7.00 discounted copy is different?
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Keith

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Keith and welcome to the community :)

Here's a post from a member who felt the same as you initially:-

"The very first time I listened to LifeFlow 10, I found it annoying (vs. the demo, which I considered to be quite "pleasant"). However the next time I turned the volume down quite a bit - still quite audible, but less than half of the volume setting on my iPod. Since I turned down the volume and also started focusing on a mantra, I haven't found LifeFlow 10 to be annoying at all. It appears to work just as effectively in terms of entrainment and aiding with meditation. The point of LifeFlow isn't so much to be "pleasant" as it is to entrain the brain. When it starts becoming effective, as it will after a while, then you will have a different interpretation to the sound."

I completely agree and you can turn the soundscapes down really low and you will still get all the benefits of the entrainment. I have copied a piece from an older post of another longtime meditator which may be relative to you. When you said you were irritated with LifeFlow 10, the comment from Gus came to mind and I believe something is coming up to be released. Anyway here is the post:-

"I've had the LF10 CD for 5 days now. I've been a practioner of meditation for about 10 years or so and seemed to be stuck where I was no matter what I did.
    I bumped into references to another program such as Lifeflow and began to investigate. Through my studies I was led to Lifeflow and settled on it for various reasons.
    Much to my surprise I was able to address some past issues already through Lifeflow that had been getting in the way of any further progress on my own. I have to be willing to face my past and accept it for what it is . . .(the past) . . . in order to move forward to what the present holds.
    Thanks Micheal for being one of those with enough vision to see a need for something like this in our lives.
    Mine will most assuredly never be the same again.
    Gus"

And here is another thread which has helped many people here:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

We're all unique Keith and will have different opinions of different soundscapes. My personal favourites changed over time and fortunately, I realised the soundscapes are only there for personal preference.

One last little tip is to listen without headphones sometimes and see how your meditation progresses.

Here's a link that explains the importance of each level:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c.../1437-experiences-lf-9-lf-1-a-2.html#post7113

Finally, if you click on the following link and scroll down to the chart, you will discover the benefits of each LifeFlow level:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...t-project-meditation/22-brainwave-states.html

Look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Hi Pollyanna,
    Thanks for your reply. After trying 3 times to listen to the Lifeflow 10 I have gone back to listening to the free demo. I'll try your suggestions on turning down the volume and/or listening without headphones. However when I spoke of the extremely low volume of the chimes on my copy, I really feel you just don't understand the extent of the almost silence I am getting in that area. Pollyanna, it is so faint that if I turn the volume down any I won't be able to hear it at all. It is so faint, that if not for having heard it before on the demo, I would not even have a clue as to what I am missing. It's just this very loud, continuous THUMP THUMP THUMPing sound with a lot of loud water and cricket sounds, and far far far,, oh so far out in the background there is the oh sooooooo faint sound of chimes that , , like I say, if i hadn't already heard them before on the demo i wouldn't EVEN know what I was missing. Just trying to really get across to you just how faint they are. Hope I've done so. I still feel something has to be wrong here. I have deleted the file and downloaded it again, still the same, but still I just don't see how this can be right.
    Another thing; when I posted I was hoping for some replies from other folks on the board. But it doesn't look like I'm going to get any. I was wanting to hear if their copies of LF10 were the same as what I'm listening to. And even more importantly, about 9, 8, 7, 6, etc. If they are all so heavy on the thumping and so faint on the chimes. So opposite from the demo, then I just don't think I'm going to get along with this program at all. I know by now it must seem that I'm just trying to be contrary here, , But I'm really not. I really want to give this a good try. I just can't get over his feeling that my copy of 10 is missing something here.

How about some of you all out there? Is what you're listening to the same as what I've tried to explain here? So completely opposite from the demo?

Well, I don't know what else to say here. I'll put to use your suggestions and keep trying to listen the LF10. . . And, regardless of how it goes, I'll probably even try the LF9 next month. But if I get the 9 and find it not much different the 10 , , then I'm afraid I'll have to bail.

Well, thank you all for reading this longwinded post. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
    Best wishes to you all.
    Keith

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi again Keith,

glad to hear you are going to try with the volume turned down. The water, sounds of nature and distant chimes in LF10 are simply soundscapes and it is of no importance whether you like them or not. You can turn the volume right down and you will still benefit from the entrainment just the same.

The soundscapes are all different and have been chosen carefully as Dr. Stickle notes in his review:-

"I also would mention that the music and/or background sounds are unique and powerful. These meditations have been put together with great intention and conscious thought. They are beyond unique and like nothing else out there, although there are many imitators. There is only one LifeFlow program.

A little more about my background. I have practiced Chiropractic for 23 years. I have been doing Craniosacral work, Polarity work, both soft types of adjustments as well as more traditional kinds, muscle release work and trigger point therapy, and Osteopathic type work. I am also a Reiki Master (Usui tradition) and in 2005, I was honored by my placement in the book: “Top Chiropractors in America”. I was nominated by my peers and my patients.

Sincerely,

Dr. John D. Stickle, D.C."

To read more of his review please click on the link below:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...-john-stickles-lifeflow-review.html#post39026

When I received the LifeFlow pack, out of curiosity I listened to a little of each soundscape and decided I did not like LF7 and LF1. Over time they became my favourites for quite some time. I have seen comments a number of times like this and I'm sure you will experience the same.

If you particularly enjoy the chimes, perhaps you may choose to meditate to Optimal Learning initially.

What kind of meditation technique are you using when playing LifeFlow?

Look forward to your reply and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

P.S. I'm sure other members will give you some input - many people are on holidays and the community can be somewhat quieter in the Holiday season.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Keith,

Woahh! Give us a chance! hehe! :D Been busy for a few days and not had a chance to check the community.

I'm fairly sure it's the same. The way MP3 technology uses compression techniques, if the file had been corrupted when you downloaded it, you just wouldn't be able to play it, so the fact it's playing means it hasn't been corrupted.

If you're thinking that the "thumping" is heavy then you're definitely listening to it too loudly. The "thumping" is part of the binaural/isochronic/monoaural beats, and doesn't need to be consciously heard to do the entrainment, as they are sounds that should be barely perceptible when you listen.
    Each of the levels has a different combination of the entrainment beats for the desired entrainment, and also each level has a different 'background' sound/music playing for a bit of variety, though if you are meditating when playing these tracks then the sounds coming from them shouldn't be of concern. When I meditate with the entrainment tracks playing, my focus is on my meditation mantra, and the sounds are just gently in the background without any desire on my part to actually listen to them. To me, the background sounds are just a way to ensure I've got the volume turned down sufficiently so the beats won't be a distraction.

To be honest I can only vaguely recall what the demo sounded like. Once I'd decided to purchase the levels, I wasn't expecting them all to be identical to the demo, and usually the first listen to each level would obviously distract me as my mind would be intrigued to know what the soundscape was going to be, but then after that I would put my focus on the meditation practice and let the entrainment do it's thing in the background.

Most certainly.

The good thing about this is, if you don't like it for whatever reason, the admin team will sort it out for you and give you money back as agreed when you signed up. There's certainly no 'hidden clauses' or anything to try and keep your money. I found the admin team to be very helpful at answering any questions, and at helping people to get each of the levels at the rate that suited them (the normal is one per month, but I've known some people arrange to have it every other month, or even stop part way and come back to it later on)... they're really flexible and just want you to get the most out of it. ;)

So, Keith, do you meditate whilst you're listening to the Lifeflow track? Or are you focusing on the track itself? You didn't mention meditation in your posts, so if you're not, you could consider downloading the free "Discover Meditation" CD's from the link at the top of the community.

Hugs

Giles

6. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Hello Giles,
    It's been a while since I checked in here. Saw your reply just now.
    You said;
    "If you're thinking that the "thumping" is heavy then you're definitely listening to it too loudly. The "thumping" is part of the binaural/isochronic/monoaural beats, and doesn't need to be consciously heard to do the entrainment, as they are sounds that should be barely perceptible when you listen."

Well Giles you see, this is yet another reason I'm STILL thinking something's just not right about my copy. If I turn the volume down to where the thumping is barely perceptible, then basically I'm going to hear nothing. Because the thumping and the water sounds are so much louder than anything else on the track. You see what I'm saying here? If I turn those sounds down, , there's nothing left!! The chimes are just BARELY THERE even with the volume turned ALL THE WAY UP.

You say you can't really remember what the demo was like. Well, on the demo the chimes are , by far, the loudest sounds on the track. Everything else being kind of back in the background. As they should be, if they are the parts that don't need to be consciously heard. It just makes no sense to me that on LF10, the parts that don't need to be heard are so loud, while the parts that are there to mask these sounds are just almost completely inaudible. It just makes no sense at all.

In fact I was starting to wonder if I had it backwards and actually the chimes contained the binaural beats that didn't need to be heard, and the thumping and water sounds were there to mask the chime sounds. Your reply confirmed though that that's not the case. And I'm certainly glad to hear it. The chimes are soothing, relaxing. they should be heard. the thumping sounds are monotonous, even annoying to a degree. they should most definitely not be the loudest part of the program, almost completely drowning out the soothing parts. And if anyone says that's not the way it is, then they are definitely not listening to the same LF10 that I'm listening to.

I wonder if this could have changed recently. I wonder if anyone else has downloaded the LF10 recently, like in the last few days or so?? What are you hearing? anything like I've been trying to explain here?

Oh yes! Giles, in answer to your question, yes I do meditate while listening. I didn't the first couple times, just relaxed and listened. And could hardly sit through more than 15 minutes of it. Since then, with meditating while listening I can listen to the entire 40 minutes. Whether or not it's doing anything for me as far as entrainment, I can't say. Doesn't seem to be doing a thing. But maybe it needs more time. I don't know. I am brand new to all this brainwave stuff!
    I'll keep trying. For now.
    Thanks for your reply Giles.
    Keith

7. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Hi Pollyanna,
    Guess I scrolled down too fast. Missed your post. See my reply to Giles about why I still just don't get it. Still just don't see how this can be right.

What type of meditation do I do? Well I started doing meditation a couple years ago. Pretty simple technique, simply focused on my breath. At my nostrils. That's it. No matter how many times I found my thoughts wandering around I simply brought my focus back to my breath. Just kept on and kept on, and gradually my wandering mind started to settle down and my thoughts became fewer and fewer, and quieter and quieter. Was really working good for me. Until a while back I moved. I live in China BTW, and my new location here is a mess. The noise is horrific! Not so much loud noise, but constant irritating noises. My neighbors here on both sides and above me are all the time doing some kind of remodeling or something. Always hammering, every day, and chopping while doing their cooking. I don't know how many armies these people are feeding, LOL, but their incessant peck peck pecking seldom stops. I seldom have so much as a half hour here of quite before it starts up from one of them or the other. Anyway, don't mean to go on and on about that, but that's why I started having real trouble with my meditation and started looking for something else. Tried some different tracks of music for meditation. But ya know I found that for my method I really needed to hear my breath going in and out. Just doesn't work nearly as well for me with the music going.

While listening to the LF10 I've tried a couple different techniques. One is a tech I learned of quite some time back from Laura Silva, if you're familiar with her?
    Basically just count backwards, from 100, or 50, or 25, depending on how long you want your session to be. But you don't just count backwards; you want to actually SEE each number, in your mind's eye, really see it before going on to the next number. This requires you to keep focused, which really is what meditation is all about isn't it?

Another technique I've been trying is one I recently learned of from Frank Kinslow and some of his books on Quantum Entrainment. He calls it the Gate Technique. You just sit quietly and relax and let your thoughts wander wherever they want and just watch them. After only a few seconds of this you remind yourself to listen. And this is where you repeat some words to yourself. Like: peace, joy, light, stillness, love, bliss, several others but you get the point. There should be one of these words that stands out in your awareness more than the others. You simply go back to this word, and observe it. Or if you hear it, just listen to it. Never try to change it or control it in any way, just innocently, curiously, passively watch/listen to it. It'll change, it'll get bigger, littler, faster slower, all of this is ok. no matter what happens it is ok. It'll even fade away at times, when that happens you simply keep focused and waiting. It'll come back. It may sometimes even change to another one of the words. Still, that's ok. The only thing that matters is you passively observe, no matter what is going on.

And the other technique I've tried is of course Michael's mantra technique. It doesn't seem to be right for me. But i will admit I haven't tried it but once. And maybe I picked out the wrong mantra for me, I don't know. I may be wrong but it seems to me one that would work better by itself, without any LF or music , kind of like my earlier breath technique. But like I say, I don't know, just what I'm feeling right now.

Oh! one more thing, pollyanna. You mentioned I should maybe try meditating to Optimal Learning? I'm sorry. I don't know what this is. Could you tell me some more about this?

Most appreciative to all of ya for trying to help me here! Thanks!!

Keith

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

Optimal Learning and Creative Flow are bonus CD's that you get in your download centre.

If you log into your download centre with your email address and go down to the bottom there's a section called "Other Downloads". In there you should find the links to Creative Flow and Optimal Learning so you can download those too.

Hugs

Giles

9. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Thanks Giles. I'll check that out.

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Keith,

remembered a post about someone hearing a banging/thumping noise and copied it for you:-

"Hi everyone,

Well, i've finally gotten the bottom of this banging noise thing. Turns out that the one place I wasn't looking was actually the source! After working with Grant from the support team, I ruled out the tracks, iTunes, the equalizer, my iPod, speakers and headphones....and Grant suggested that I have other people listen to the tracks through the same headphones I'm using to see if they can hear the noise. They cannot. So, oddly enough, the deal is apparently that I am hearing the lower ranges where most people don't.

I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, although it did. The main reason I am using Lifeflow is to help me keep my uber-sensitive brain synchronized and stable. For years, I had really debilitating migraines and seizures that would be set off by the tiniest changes in the environment. Neurofeedback helped me tremendously to be able to tolerate certain kinds of light and sound that my brain was over-reacting to, but I continue to be very sensitive to all kinds of stimulation (wireless internet, changes in barometric pressure, noise, lights, etc). I guess it sort of makes sense that I'm picking up sound energy (I do "feel" that banging noise as much as hear it, or that's how I hear it).

Anyway, so just in case anyone else out there is annoyed by the thumping/banging noise, I'd suggest working systematically through the steps to find the source and including one's one brain in the system as well.

Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions along the way. At this point, I'm just forming a different association with the noise to make it less irritating. Instead of thinking of it as sounding like an unbalanced washing machine or like driving on a flat tire, I am just associating it with the lovely zone I get into with LifeFlow and allowing that to be a more positive thought.

Grace"

to read more from this thread please click on the following link:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...ox/12431-whats-banging-noise-2.html#post31355

Hope the advice given from this thread is useful to you. Let us know how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

11. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

My headphones!!

Well I'll be dog gone! It was my headphones causing the thumpin sounds. Thanks for that link Pollyanna. ol' Boris got to the heart of my problem. Listened to LF10 with my earbuds. Completely different!! He hit it right on the head about what it sounded like; a car running about 30 MPH on a flat tire.

I knew it! I knew everyone else could NOT be listening to what I was hearing and not have a huge problem with it. Y'all thought I was nuts! didn't ya now??
    Ha ha ha.

Thanks Boris!
    Thanks Pollyanna!

Now maybe I can finally start getting somewhere with this.

Luck to us all,
    Keith

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Music to my ears Keith :) So glad you got sorted. And no, I didn't think you were nuts, just so pleased for you that you continued questioning.

If anyone else comments about banging noises, we will be able to offer the correct help. Thank you. Look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

13. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Thanks Pollyanna!