1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Why meditate?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I've read a number of posts where new people describe feeling antsy or fidgety and stop short in their meditation sessions.

You can discover why you feel like this from notes I made in a seminar.

Through reading over them I realized why I had never given up trying to meditate and more importantly, the reason why I wanted to learn.

Yes, I wanted to be more spiritually connected without a doubt and I love the bliss and peace I feel now and the energy, aliveness and simply being more present each moment is truly amazing!!

HERE'S WHAT I HAD FORGOTTEN THOUGH:-

One of the main reasons I wanted to meditate initially was because Brian Tracy told me how to stimulate "Super Conscious Creativity" which, basically is stimulated by one of three things.

1. Clear specific goals to which we are totally committed.

2. Pressing problems which are extremely important for us to resolve or

3. Relevant questions that we ask of ourselves and of other people and of our situations.

Any one of these three will stimulate and trigger super conscious or higher conscious answers and here are six techniques he taught, (three passive techniques and three active techniques) saying, if you use these techniques on a regular basis you can double and triple the quality of your results, double and triple your effectivness and move yourself so rapidly towards the accomplishment of your important goals that you will simply not believe the difference and you will be astonished.

The first and simplest of all techniques is solitude. Solitude means going into the silence - sitting down perfectly quietly still and doing absolutely nothing for 30 to 60 minutes. This is one of the most beautiful and powerful ways to get answers to our problems that you will ever learn.

The great majority of people in our society have never sat perfectly quietly for 30 to 60 minutes in their entire lives.

The use of solitude has been talked about, written about and is practised all over the world and especially it is practised by the most creative and the most brilliant men and women.

The way to use solitude is this: we do not read, we do not smoke, we do not drink coffee, we do not get up and move around, we do not listen to music, we simply sit perfectly quietly.

If you've never done this before, you'll find the first twenty to twenty five minutes will be one of the most difficult periods you have ever spent in your life. You will find yourself possessed of an irrisistable urge to get up and to move around and to adjust, to stand up and to sit down, to get up and do something.

It's very important that you resist this urge vigourously because you will find at the 20 to 25 minute mark that all of the fidgetiness, all of the antzyness, all of the need and the desire to get up will suddenly fade away and you will find that you will go completely calm and your mind will go crystal clear and you will feel a surge of energy and peace flowing through your whole body and at a certain point, within a few minutes, your mind will begin to flow like a river of ideas and the ideas and the answers to your most pressing problems or to your most important goals in your life at that moment will come to you in this period.

This is one of the most beautiful ways of finding solutions to our problems and getting in complete harmony with ourselves.

Many business people approach Brian and ask "What do I do about this problem? What do I do about my partner? What do I do about the business and what do I do about interest rates?

He answers "What you have to do is go and sit perfectly still for 30 to 60 minutes.

They often say " No I can't! I'm too busy! I have too much to do - I'm too behind - I'm too pressured!"

And he replies "That's exactly when you have to do it - it's when you feel you have the least time or the least opportunity to sit perfectly quietly, that's the time you must discipline yourself to do it most rigourously and if you will sit perfectly quietly for 30 to 60 minutes each day without moving and just let your mind flow without trying, don't make any effort at all to solve a problem or to concentrate or to focus on anything, just sit there in perfect peace, you will find that every single day you will get answers that are so powerful and ideas that are so valuable that you will shake your head at the number of years that have gone past where you have tried to do it the hard way.

The most beautiful and the most perfect and the most appropriate answer you will need for any situation or dilemma or goal that you have will come to you. Even if you don't know what your goal should be, then ask the super conscious what your goal should be and then go and sit quietly and wait and listen for the answer.

A second method to stimulate the Super or Higher Conscious is through deep relaxation and meditation.

During the complete calmness of this meditation period, very often the idea will just flow into your mind or sometimes, immediately after you have finished meditating you'll come naturally into full alertness and as you open your eyes and sit there peacefully, the idea that you have been seeking will shoot into your mind. Then all you have to do is to pick it up, almost like a flower that has landed in your hand and implement the idea and it will be the perfect solution for you and it will be at exactly the right time.

A third method which is a passive method of stimulating Super Conscious Creativity is a method that has been used for many years by some of the most creative men and women of all of history and that is surrounding yourself with a natural environment.

Going for a walk quietly in the woodland, listening to the running water of a stream, hearing the birds singing, sitting by the ocean and listening to the waves on the shore, are some of the most beautiful and some of the most powerful ways to stimulate creativity.

The human being is a creature of nature and the closer we get back to nature in a relaxed way, the more rapidly and the better our minds work.

We don't all have nature on our doorstep, however there are record albums which play natural environmental sounds which you can listen to.

He also goes on to recommending relaxing while listening to classical music :)

I began this looong post particularly because I thought it may help anyone who feels antsy or fidgety initially to understand why they do, why it's normal and how it will pass.

More importantly, if you accept it as normal, you'll be able to enjoy the many amazing benefits achieved through meditation all the sooner.

In reading this post - I hope you realise you've got it all!!!! Including the natural environmental sounds - Michael, you've thought of everything :)

I wish you all an abundance of perfect solutions, creative ideas, peace and joy :) :) :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Brilliant !!!!

Going to try the sitting without moving just for the fun of it right now !!!

3. Ras

Ras Member

i actually sat on my chair without doing anything for 45 mins yesterday after reading this... I sure did think a lot but wasnt really that much of an experince to be honest...i would much rather spend that same time meditating :)

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I totally agree with you Ras and so would I. I was really pointing out to people who are new to meditating that the reason they feel fidgety or antzy has nothing really to do with meditation or Lifeflow.

They would feel the same way if they just sat perfectly quiet.

Towards the end of some meditation sessions with LifeFlow, I have come up with some amazing ideas and solutions though. One idea in particular just leapt out at me in early December 2008 and it has made a wonderful difference in our lives and saved us a small fortune in money.

Nice to hear from you and I wish you continued peace and joy :) :) :)

5. filly33

filly33 Member

It's been a while since I've done moments of gratitude after meditation, or even in my everyday life, but after reading this post I just can't help but point out how big of a help you have been to me Polly. You are always so kinda and generous (like many others here, don't get my wrong, I'm lumping others in this gratitude too) and have been a much bigger help to me than you probably know. But I just wanted to say, thank you. You wish people hope and abundance everyday and I wanted to return the favor. I hope you find inner peace and complete happiness, peace and love.

Great post. When the weather gets nicer I'm gonna combine the sitting still with nature and just sit, eyes open, watching what happens in the forest near my house.

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Thankyou Mitch, it makes me very happy to know I have been of help.

It's very exciting also to know that you are enjoying just being and finding who you really are at such a young age. You should be very proud of yourself.

You are right about the many people here who have great wisdom and caring which they kindly offer to each other. This is what life is all about I believe.

Here's a little saying that reminds me of you all:-

"Only one life, that soon is past,
    only what's done with love will last."

Yes there is so much love and kindness offered here by so many :)

Your knowledge, outlook and caring touches many lives here, may your life always be blessed with peace and joy :) :) :)