1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Why I started meditating and some questions

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by stefanabovetheview, Dec 23, 2010.

1. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

Alright, first of all im going to write why I started meditating. I dont remember exactly when, but maybe a year ago i discovered seduction art/ pick up artist and I got interested. Through all this time, I was just reading about it and looking at different techniques and etc, but only about 2 months ago have I discovered that the main thing in the art of pick up, as anything else, is your inner core. The whole pick up artist thing really all depends the inner game. I realized my lack of confidence and that im not such a good conversationalist and thats why i started meditating, and have noticed improvements within this time.
    Here is a video I just watched and hope you guys will too because its very interesting (all parts not just this one) and help me understand a few things from what the guy is saying.
    YouTube - Hypnotica & Steve P- Instant Inner Game pt4
    At around 4:40 where he calls up a student and pushes him and tells him he isnt centered, I was just thinking what does it really mean to be centered? And how can one achieve this centerness?
    In part 2, he called up a guy and looked each other straight in the eyes, and the students eyes werent still, they were moving a little and he told him to stop moving it. Today morning i kind of did a open eye meditation and tried to focus on a tiny spot on the leaf. My eyes were figeting and couldnt stay focused on that one spot for a few seconds. Is this good practice? What i also noticed is that it wasnt really like closed eye meditation i was doing at all(atleast in some way), it was just trying to focus on the spot on the leaf.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Woah, a lot of questions. :)

That's good to notice this within yourself and it's great that you've found improvement through meditation. Well done.

I can't watch this from work, but I'll comment if I may on your following questions...

It's not something that's easily described, but something more easily learnt and experienced. If you were to attend a martial arts class or Tai Chi class (assuming it's a good one) you would learn about centering your energy around the Tan Den (aka Dantien and other names) located just below and behind the navel. It is this centering of energy that allows a martial artist (or anybody really) to remain firm footed and grounded.

Dantian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a person has their energy all outwardly focused then they become off balance and hence this would be why the person in the video was easily pushed. It also relates to being present, in the Now, and in touch with the senses.

Open eye meditation is one of the most difficult to practice, especially if you're new to meditation. The reason is that there are many visual distractions (many visual sensory inputs) and these cause the mind to raise thoughts and be more active than if the eyes were closed, hence why a lot of meditation involves sitting with eyes closed. It's good practice if you can do it, but perhaps stick with closed eye practice until you become more able to still the thoughts at will.
    In terms of the video, there is a type of bio-feedback going on, so the persons visual senses would have been getting input from his surroundings, which bring up thoughts in the mind, which in turn feed back to the eyes to make them move as if the visual aspect of the thoughts were right there in front of the person. It's a bit like when you dream and the eyes move in reaction to what is being seen visually in the dream thoughts.

Sometimes, the amount of focus and effort defeats the object of the meditation. Your mind would be spending so much time thinking about what you were trying to do that the thoughts couldn't calm down, because to calm the thoughts would cause you to lose the focus and bring up the thoughts about losing the focus and hence further distractions.

;)

Hugs

Giles

3. Midnight

Midnight Member

Wow, of all the places on the internet, I'd never expect this stuff to appear here. And yet, I shouldn't be surprised at all.

I began meditation for the same reason that you did. I had a fear of women, and I was anxious around them. I wanted to stop that, so I could finally just talk to a girl. I wasn't always like that, it is something that just started happening in recent years. I had material desires I wanted to fulfill through meditation.

I was in to all that PUA stuff, and I thought it was great. I thought I was being let in on a secret that no one else knew about. Long story short, I spent two-three years learning "theory" thinking that all I needed was this one little inner game tip, or that silver bullet, in order to start talking to "sets". That's the other thing about it, the industry objectifies women so much, it's hard to watch. It is selfishness disguised as self improvement for the most part. None of it is necessary. Talking to women, or anybody, is a completely natural thing that arises from the silence within. It all happens within the moment. It's not something you think about, or a skill you try to gain. You can become good at consciously trying to develop conversation, but that's like building a car to drive when you already have a perfectly good one sitting next to you.

I can't say that everything in regards to PUA was without value. I think it is great that it causes people to look inside and really analyze themselves. That provides the catalyst for change. Without all that thinking and analyzing, I don't think I would've had a desire to start meditation when I did. But I got into it, and I'm thankful for that. But again, everything happens naturally between people when you're in the moment, not worrying about things.

A good "crossover" guy from PUA to meditative practices is Rion Williams. His website is Welcome to the Frontpage. He pioneered a meditative practice called Natural Grounding which has you experience the radiance that people (specifically women) possess. It is an extremely powerful meditation practice, as I believe it takes you up to Gamma brainwaves, which is something I don't recommend you do until you've sufficiently gotten through all levels of lifeflow. Good news is that meditation and natural grounding all have the same effect, because it's not about the practice, it's about what is already in you.

Probably not the response you expected, lol, but hope it helps. I hope that's not advertising. I'm not sure where else to get objective information about it, because it's a relatively unknown practice. If it's a problem, I can remove the link.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

GilesC thanks,also is this centering a physical thing you do and adapt, like a posture, or is it more of a mental thing?
    And ya since im a beginner ill for now stick to closed eye meditation for now, until i learn my mind more.

Midnight, what a coincidence! haha.
    I understand what your saying, acting out openers, negs and etc will get you nowhere if your just being fake and dont take PUA stuff to a deeper inner level. Still, I find it very useful to read and watch about it because you understand the psychology between men and women and their interaction, and this knowledge will be useful and come natural.
    Did you quit learning about pua stuff? Im just curious about what level you are at and how you reached it, pm me! :rolleyes:

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hmmm, well if you were practicing Tai Chi it would be partially posture, or certainly appear that way, but in truth it comes from centering the chi energy, focusing it into the dan tien, though you can also focus the energy down to the feet if you chose. It can take practice, but you'll start to notice that you feel firmly in place (or "grounded") when you center the energy like this.

Hugs

Giles

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Once my jiu-jitsu Sensei made us do a simple excercise just standing with feet slightly apart and with our arms making hitting motions in the air.
    As he walked past me, he stopped and pauzed to see what I was doing ( I was trying really hard to hit the air, doing my best to show him how good I was ).
    He simply reached out with his finger, and pushed against one of my shoulders, and I fell flat on my behind.

Obviously not centered.

He told me to concentrate on my Hara ( the stomach/belly region ) which Japanese think is the centre of all strength and power in the body, and when I mastered that, I started moving my arms again, and this time, even tho the posture wasn't all that different, his finger almost bended the wrong way trying to push me over.
    For the untrained eye, there was no difference to be seen in my posture, but the Sensei knew what I was doing wrong.

Thought that was a nice illustration to what Giles said :)