1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Why do some days

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Reefdancer, May 14, 2010.

1. Reefdancer

Reefdancer Member

just suck? :confused::( Even after a very nice morning of meditating?

2. Grey

Grey Member

everything is relative. consider how much more your day could have sucked if you had not meditated. maybe you got a really good deal and just do not realise it.

3. Reefdancer

Reefdancer Member

Thank you. I needed that.:)

4. Midnight

Midnight Member

Nothing is actually good or bad, it's just your thoughts that make it that way.

Best thing to do is not to "try" to make yourself feel better. Accept the emotions as they come along. It's gonna feel crappy sometimes, but it's 10 times worse trying to hide your emotions.

I would probably bet that your meditation released some emotions from deep inside you and they're coming to surface now which might be why your day was unpleasant. That's okay. Just know that whatever comes to surface is being released.

5. Reefdancer

Reefdancer Member

It's actually more my reaction to the roadblocks and stress of the day. But as Grey mentioned, not meditating makes it worse, as yesterday proved. I won't make that mistake again.;)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

People are usually afraid of pain.

This is a natural thing, it avoids damage.
    The biggest problem is that fear itself is also experienced as an unpleasant thing.

We associate fear with pain, and because we want to avoid pain, we want to avoid fear.

To avoid having to go through the immediate pain of a certain moment, we try to trick our brain into "ignoring" the circomstances that we feel is causing us pain, by pushing it to the background.
    With some people this is more evident as for instance they lose themselves in work to avoid having to think about their trouble.
    This works for a while.

However, pain is there to be felt. It is a warningsystem that tells you that you have to be careful, you need to watch out to avoid damage.
    So, the mind will keep trying to remind you of what you are trying to ignore, leaving this lingering feeling of pain in the background all the time.
    The weird thing about pain is that once it isn't ignored, but immediately experienced to the fullest, accepting it as something you have to go through, it will either disappear, or go to an acceptable level.
    This goes for both physical as emotional pain.

Midnight said:
    That is what I meant !
    Old pain, that has been bugging you for years, can suddenly come up during meditation. In fact, it is very likely to happen then, because there is nothing you can hide behind, like activities to keep your mind busy.

Instead, you are being told to watch thoughts and emotions during your meditation.
    So, the old pains that do come up get your fullest attention, but because of the mantra technique, you will see the pain but won't feel attached to it, and you can let it go without effort. Once you have let go, it is gone, never to return. And you will notice this right after meditation, as you will feel as if a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
    Experiencing the pain is usually not something you will read about in this forum. People are more likely to talk about the few wonderful blissfull experiences, and how great their meditation went.
    Talking about how they had to interrupt their meditation session to wipe the tears from their cheeks is not something to brag about.
    I have had numerous sessions where this was the case. It has helped me tremendously. Instead of what people think, this kind of meditation is good meditation, not the blissfull one ( even tho a nice euphoric experience is nice and not wrong every now and then ;)).

have a good meditation :)

7. ellie76

ellie76 Member

And what if

...the pain just break you down and the only way to releive it is to cry, somewhere alone? Is this an acceptable reaction?

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Of course !
    Pain needs to be experienced. It isn't pleasant, I agree, but on the other side of pain is pleasure, and you can't have one without the other.

Crying is in fact very much needed !
    Most people actually feel better after having cried, even if it didn't solve the problem.
    Accept the fact that you cry, and let it all go. Don't push it back ( big boys don't cry ), just let it go until it is over.

9. Reefdancer

Reefdancer Member

This is most helpful. As a beginner, I was under the illusion that all meditation sessions should be the same...hopefully blissful.

10. Midnight

Midnight Member

Definitely not, and thats a great thing :)

Every meditation session is like a whole new experience and it is awesome because there's always something new. The best part is even if you feel like you didn't get anywhere (which you shouldn't worry about, because the goal isn't to get somewhere) you've uncovered subconscious junk that will be cleansed out of you (given that you observe it and don't try to will it away)

There's always growth happening, which is awesome

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

:) Think of meditation as a way to improve the life you lead in between sessions :cool: