1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

why 2 mins till eyes open?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by free will, Jan 15, 2009.

1. free will

free will New Member

hi

just wondered why the 2 minutes before you open your eyes is so "beneficial"?.... and "very important"?....and also why the very slow eye opening?......its just i have never heard/read this before in any meditation methods that ive tried.

thanks in advance!

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi free will :)

During your meditation, expecially after some time, your experiences of deep relaxation and bliss will deepen. If you abruptly end that by opening your eyes and getting up, the sensation to the body/mind would be like turning a switch from off back to on. More oftan than not, you will lose the sensation of peace and quiet from your meditation by that sudden movement.

By slowly opening your eyes and allowing your mind to slowly start again, you are not letting go of your feelings of bliss and relaxation entirely all at once, and you will notice it's effects longer after you have ended your meditation.

The same goes for your body. What I oftan do during those 2 minutes is slowly, without strain or force, stretch all my limbs, neck ( carefull with that one ) and spine by twisting and turning it to whatever direction feels comfortable stretching. This is also very healthy, also when getting out of bed after sleep.
    Yoga makes the analogy towards animals, cats specifically.
    When a cat has taken a nap, or when he has been sitting comfortably, he will oftan yawn and strech before getting up. And why not ? It looks lazy, but it takes only a few seconds of your time, and your muscles will be flexible and free from tightness before starting to move again.

Does that answer your question ? :)