1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Whole Body Tensing/Relaxing/?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Deeks, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Deeks

Deeks Member

Wow, after two weeks on CD10 tonight I felt something new. A deeper state of mediatation, and the mantra flowed naturally for the first time too. What was realyl unexpected was that my body started to really tense up, starting from my lower right buttock / upper leg then progressing to my whole body, this recurred two or three times over the 40minutes. At one point my back and legs tensed so much so as to start to straighten my whole body and my bottom was actually lifted off the chair! After each "tensing" I experienced a few seconds complete relaxation in my body, and a deep sense of peace.

I have had a frozen shoulder (left) for 3-4 months now, and I have been going to accupuncture (with limited success) for 6 weeks, and I have been fascinated to learn about acupuncture meridians etc. Tonight I sensed something coursing through my body, it felt like warm/how water percolating through my muscles and sinews, moving up my lumbar region and in/around my frozen shoulder.

I am absolutely gob-smacked by this experience!

I wanted to share this to hear if any others have felt similar sensations and suggest any reasons why this would occur in alpha state? Is this normal in CD10?

Many thanks,

Derek.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Midnight

Midnight Member

One thing i've learned while practicing meditation is that anything can happen at anytime. Thinking in terms of black or white, all or nothing, and extremely logically and systematically is something that should be left behind for this area of life :)

I've experienced my whole body tensing for no particular reason before, and I think thats how you know youre getting rid of stress and tension you've held in your body.

Also, it will be more helpful to you to not chase any sort of experience, for everything will happen on it's own.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Midnight is right, and I'm afraid you are going to have to get used to the fact that it is more likely it will not happen again.

Repetition in meditation is actually something you need to avoid.
    Every meditation session is and should be a unique experience.

Expect the unexpected so to speak :cool:

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Derek
    I used to have a lot of similar bodily sensations - body tensing up, lots of energy moving etc. This happened when I was practicing vipassana meditation quite intensively. The explanation given was that past sankharas (former actions and their accompanying mind states) were being released. But the release is conditional on acceptance with a neutral mind. In other words, if you crave the delicious and have aversion to the unpleasant, you'll just create more karma.

As Giles and Edwin said, just see whatever comes up as part of the passing show. That way you'll inevitably move towards greater happiness and peace. :)