1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Which meditation and for how long???

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by ocdavey, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ocdavey

ocdavey Member

Hi there,

I have recently started meditating and have so far found it really beneficial. I have downloaded the CDs from this site, listened and put into practise. I also have a CD or 2 at home with guided meditations, one of them by Deepak Chopra which is excellent.

Now, from all my reading up on meditations, I found in general that one should meditate daily, even twice, starting off at 20 mins each.

But which should way should I 'juggle' the meditations

I have been using a guided meditation mostly for Chakra clearing in the morning and at night time but I would like to practise transcedental meditation twice daily as well.

Would anybody have some advice on what solution would be the best, I have read about overmeditating, so i'm not sure if starting with a Chakra clearing guided meditation for 25mins and then going straight into Transcendental meditation for up to an hour is a wise move!!!!!!

Should I do 1 type one day, 1 another day or can i combine the both of them?????

Any advice would be most grateful.

Thanks
    Davey

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Davey !

Any kind of meditation a day is good, even if it is just a quick 15 minute meditation because you lack the time for more.
    Twice a day is good, and some prefer only meditating early in the morning before work, others, like me, just meditate in the evening.

The free course works just as well as the TM method, I recommend listening to the course every now and then, especially when you are new to a meditation method like this. It is full of information that makes more sense after a week or so of meditation practice.

Overmeditation is about release. You release old emotions and memories that have held you back your entire life ( for instance, you hate swimming so you never go swimming with your kids, and feel guilty towards your kids, but you really can't go swimming ), but when you meditate a lot, you will release a lot of emotions at the same time. Some people might feel uncomfortable with that, because they might be racing through your mind waiting to be released, but you might "cling" to them, wondering what is going on that you suddenly remembered this embarressing moment from 20 years ago where your swimtrunks ripped while going down the waterslide in a filled pool ( this could be one of those "Aha" moments ;) ).

If you have a truckload of these kind of memories flushing your mind after having done extensive meditation, it can be quite overwhelming.

Basic rule: As long as you feel good, keep it up, when you feel troubled, tone it down :).
    It can creep up on you unnoticed, so monitor yourself and your emotions.
    You will grow into it soon enough. The more you meditate, the less emotional baggage, the longer you can meditate, the better you will feel, it is a process.

Have you downloaded the free 10 minute LifeFlow trial yet ?

3. ocdavey

ocdavey Member

Hi Edwin,

Thanks very much for your response,
    I have downloaded the Lifeflow example and I have used it. The information you gave me is very helpful, thanks a lot.

Davey