1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Which headphones?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by JohnA, Mar 17, 2009.

1. JohnA

JohnA Member

I`ve read that it`s recommended to use head phones that covers the ears when meditating with Lifeflow. I use Koss Portapro, which covers more than those that comes with mp3 players.
    Do you think Koss Portapro head phones is good enough, or do I need to buy some that is bigger and covers more?

2. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi JohnA,
    I am pretty sure you are totally OK with any headphone that has a lower range of frequency range of 10hz. The upper range of most headphones surpasses the actual level that most people can hear as we age :eek:
    From what I gather from Michael's FAQ the essential element is the "fixed" position of the speaker drivers in respect to the ear as per FAQ paste below:

**************beginning of paste**************

While it is possible to use ear buds with LifeFlow tracks and still get good results because of the way binaural waves work they may present a problem that over the ear headphones avoid altogether. Avoiding this problem is the reason we suggest over the ear headphones are preferable.

The issue has to do only with the binaural wave form. Remember that for this type of sound wave to do its job of entrainment the exact moment the sounds strike both left and right ear drums must be precisely controlled. When dealing with entrainment frequencies of between 1 and 10Hz (i.e., an extremely small difference in frequency) it takes very little variation in delivery to change a 1Hz track to a 3 or 4Hz track, etc., by simply placing the buds at uneven angles within the ear canal. A slight variation in placement may mean the difference between receiving the entrainment waves accurately, and causing an unintended shift in frequency. Also, for many people the ear bud headphones become a little uncomfortable after being in for a few minutes and there is an natural, almost unconscious tendency to reach up and make slight adjustments fairly frequently to alleviate this discomfort. This may result in additional changes to the frequency and in some instances people might even twist the sound outlet of the speaker such that the sound is blocked or partially blocked by the wall of the ear canal causing further degradation of the entrainment waves.

Over the ear headphones, by contrast, remain far more fixed in their positioning with respect to the eardrums and have none of the problem of being twisted to cause blockage of sound. They have the added benefit due to coverage of the ear of blocking out more of the outside noises and providing a less distracting environment for meditation. This is especially helpful to those struggling already with distractions such as racing thoughts, bodily sensations like itching, tingling, limbs falling asleep, swaying, or the distracting phenomena that occasionally arise during meditation. Avoiding excess distractions from outside noises by using headphones that cover the ear may be a prudent step in helping to reduce overall levels of distraction.

Ear buds may be used if one takes precautions to circumvent the potential drawbacks, but using over the ear headphones is simpler and more efficient for most people.

*************end of paste***************

Hope this helps.

take care

jim

3. soulvids

soulvids Member

When I first read the headphone discussion, I thought it was nonsense. I continued using Lifeflow 10 with earbuds. I originally planned to do 2 months on each level. Toward the end of my first month doing Lifeflow 10, I felt like I had been going through the motions w/nothing coming out of my meditations. I didnt feel any differently before/during/after my meditation. I assumed that I had either outgrown Lifeflow 10 and was ready to move on to the next level earlier than expected, or that maybe Lifeflow wasnt all that it was cracked up to be. The weekend before moving to Lifeflow 9, I spotted a pair of inexpensive "pilot style" headphones at Walmart. Since I didnt have time to add Lifeflow 9 to my iPod, I decided to give level 10 another try with the new headphones. I have to say that I have been feeling a new (blissful) stimulation during my medtations all week with these headphones. I only had brief hints of this feeling over the last couple of weeks. But now, it was lasting for practically the whole duration of my my session and even continued for a short while after. I'm going to stick with Level 10 for another month to make sure i can get the most out of it before moving on.