1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Where, When, and How?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Fuzzy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Currently my life is a bit hectic and I have no "space" to meditate in and no time when I'm really "alone" in the flat (certainly not daily anyway).

I was just wondering where you guys meditate, when you meditate (first thing in the morning, lunch time, just before bed, in bed etc) and how (how do you position yourself, do you use a chair, a mat, your bed, is your space cluttered, clear, candles, music)?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to try to get the best out of my situation at present and any answers you guys can give will be gratefully received. :)

2. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

However and whenever you can fit it in!

Fuzzy, I'm like the poster child for how not to do your meditation practice. It seems logical, and it is strongly suggested, to have a set time/place for your meditation--But I've got two kids, which means occasionally chaos reigns. I fit meditation in whenever I can. Some days that means I clap on the headphones as I'm drifting off to sleep (within the repeat function turned off, very important! You don't want to be held in alpha all night long), some days it means I wake up an hour early and put the headphones on (yeah, I might fall asleep again before the alarm goes off), some days I take time in the middle of the day when the kids are at school. I find that the morning meditations are best for me: I get so relaxed that I don't miss the extra sleep, I retain my time with my husband in the evening, and I get my day off to a good, calm start.

As far as needing a clean, uncluttered space, I find that once I close my eyes, nothing else matters.

The important thing for you to trust is that you'll figure it out! Best of luck.

3. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

Hi,

I like to meditate in my chair sometimes, i would recommend good cussions or pillows to support yourself, i have had the best experiences with mantra meditation by sitting upright in my chair.

I also like to meditate in bed, especially using LF, meditation lying down works for me quite often, it's so much easier to relax your whole body when you feel no weight on joints or muscles etc.

I like to meditate at lunch time at the moment, i try and do fitness in morning and then meditate at lunch.

I really enjoy burning incence but this is not for everyone :rolleyes: If it feels good to you, go for it.

Read this amazing forum, all the answers are here. Meditation works wonders!! PW ;)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Fuzzy ! :)

Good question !
    Since I am usually the last one to go to bed, I enjoy most meditations at night, before going to sleep. Also this has been my routine since I started meditation to cure my insomnia ( which it did :) ) so evenings are most logical to me.

Some people are more "morning" people, and they have less trouble getting up early to start the day with meditation. This has a nice ring to it too, wanted to try it for some time but... my bed is so nice and warm in the morning :p
    Usually the livingroom, and since I have young children, and am a bit of a chaotic, the livingroom is never super tidy. So I usually kill all the lights and light a few candle's, just enough to not bump into the table when going to the middle of the room, and too little to see the mess :p. In the middle of the room I lay down a blanket, and on top a few pillows to lift my behind from the ground. I usually sit in half-lotus, because I want to sit in full lotus but can only manage that for 10 agonizing seconds after which I start to sob :eek: ... eh.... I stop and go back to half lotus. Guess I am not that flexible. Oh and I burn some insence, both to "get into it" easyer, but also because I think it helps me clear negative vibes. Believe in them or not, but as long as I think it helps, it does :).
    Those who don't ask won't learn. Never be afraid to ask. You are welcome with us and deserve the best :)

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Edwin, that has got to be one of THE nicest, kindest things anyone has ever said to me - THANKYOU :D

Weehoo and Peaceful Warrior - I appreciate your sharing - thank you. :)

You guys are the best - thank you for taking the time to answer my questions - I guess I am looking for the "perfect" setting - you are making me feel much more grounded in reality since you all don't sit on top of a beautiful mountain at dawn or dusk to meditate. ;)

Currently I am kind of relegated to my bedroom and I have a couple of pets here so it's more difficult to be still/quiet. I am getting a new shed next week for the garden and my plan is to clear my loft space. I think I will make myself a cozy place up there with a mat and some cushions (thanks for the ideas :) ) and maybe a candle or two - I should be able to have some space then even if it is not completely clutter free.

Any other tips or tricks?

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Fuzzy, you made me smile when you commented "Currently I am kind of relegated to my bedroom" :)

I have 3 little yapping dogs and 2 excitable grandchildren who become even more excitable when they have friends round.

I do take advantage of the house when it is quiet, however, during my first year of LifeFlow there was a lot of building work and machinery noise. I just go and lock myself in my bedroom, lie down in bed (because I would feel cold after meditating if I didn't, put on my headphones or listen over loudspeakers and adjust the volume to any competing noises :) :)

The difference it has made in spite of this is truly amazing. Maybe I should sit more in meditation but it feels soooooooo wonderfully peaceful to me the way I do it and the changes in me are so immense that I'll just keep enjoying it the way I do.

I don't even pull the shutters now - simply place a scarf over my eyes - and my c.d. player and headphones are always by my bed. I look forward to hearing how you progress and enjoy meditation. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

7. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

"Soon, the family dog and cat will sit"

Fuzzy, your comment about your pets reminds me of something my husband ran across about 15 years ago when he started to meditate: Some material from the local Zen center said that if you sit (meditate) every day, pretty soon it impacts everyone...you, your partner, your kids, even the family pets. The exact words were: "Soon, the family dog and cat will sit." And we found that to be the case. One of our cats would stand on the stairs at the same time every night and holler until my husband went upstairs, settled down on his zafu, and started to meditate, at which point she would settle down next to him.

These days, it's a little different. Our dog noses me while I sit, and the kitten has been known to gnaw on my toes. It's peaceful in a strange way. I'll bet that your pets will settle down with you pretty soon.

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Again, thankyou for the replies. :)

Lots of think about - I feel like I am starting from scratch and I am so enjoying exploring the meditation side of life. It is not something I have ever looked into properly before - Holosync was more about passive listening at bedtime to help improve my sleep than anything else.
    Can I use both systems together? Holosync to sleep with at night and LF during the day to meditate? OR is that risking overload? :confused:

9. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Have you tried using LF at night to see if it puts you to sleep? Sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it.

10. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

No not yet - might give it a go tonight - but I don't want to miss out on the meditation/spiritual aspect ......... :(

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I personally would like to stick to one entrainment product.
    I don't want to influence people so I won't suggest one :D

Usually my cat sits in front of me or on my side. Normally he would go to extreme lengths to be able to sit on my lap, but he never tries that when I am meditating. He does occasionally think that I should have fed hem first, and tries to persuade me to end meditation for him by placing his nails on the bottom of my foot, the one lying on top of the other leg. So now I feed the cat first, and meditate later, and he seems ok with that. We sit quite peacefully together. :) I quite agree with Weehoo and her hubby on pets ! My theory is, that they can sense our deeper states of brainwaves, and since they are constantly in the state that people desire, free of mind with its constant chatter, they recognise the Eternal within us, our Presence. I might be becoming a bit too spiritual here :eek:

12. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Ok Diving in - just bought level 10 ............ here we go :D

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

Congratulations ! You have made a choice that will change your life ! :)

Please tell us how you progress, and of course you are always welcome if you need help :)

14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

I have another question :)

Is it normal to feel ambivalent when just starting out with LF? I have listened for a couple of nights now and I've switched the iPod off after about 15 minutes because I feel so ............ ambivalent?
    I'm not in a hurry or anything and I don't see it as negative - I'm more curious than anything else about how I'm feeling and what makes me switch the iPod off.

15. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Hang in there!

Feeling ambivalent, or twitchy, or uncomfortable, or any range of things is perfectly normal when you're beginning to meditate, especially if you're using a product that helps you go deeper than you would on your own.

I don't remember, Fuzzy, how much meditating you've done, so forgive me if you've been at it for a while, but if you're just starting, here's how it goes for a lot of people:

You're sitting there--just sitting there!--which is enough to make most people antsy. And you're trying to clear your mind, or watch your thoughts, or whatever, and meanwhile your mind is saying, "Ooooommmm.....ooooommmmm.....What the heck? Is this like a major waste of time or what? I could be eating some chocolate! Or reading a book! Ommmm....Did I turn on the dishwasher? Where did that library book go? My gosh, this is a waste of time. Ooooommmmmm....okay, let's settle down...Ommmmm...Ooooooommmmmm....Oooooommmmmm....my nose itches," and on and on and on.

If you're not achieving instant bliss, you're perfectly normal. The feelings and emotions brought up by settling down into the quiet of your own self can be anything but blissful, at least at first. And that can be pretty scary--you may be wondering what you're getting yourself into. Sometimes the anticipation of it is more scary than actually going through the emotions. I hope you stick with it because the rewards are terrific.

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

Im thinking all these kind of things after about 3 months of daily meditation *gg*

17. Edwin

Edwin Member

Im thinking all these kind of things after about 16 months of daily meditation *gg* :p

It does get easyer, but basically I too still wonder off. And sometimes feal uneasy. And have an itching nose, and ear, and face, and ... no let's stay decent here :p

The only thing that really is different from when I just started is that I have learned to just accept it. That is the best advice I can give on top of that excellent post by Weehoo, you should try to allow yourself to feel the things you feel, accept whatever comes your way, images, thoughts, they have a right and a place in your life. They come up, and they should at that very excact time it happens, it is their place in your life exactly in the now.

Snow falls to the ground, every flake at it's destined location.

All you have to do is observe them ( don't judge them ) and they will go away. Or not.
    Whatever happens happens, everything is as it should be.

18. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

Thanks again WeeHoo - yes, I've just started meditating really. My experience with Holosync was more passive listening at bed time to help me sleep really (which I may continue - as a sleep aid). So my approach with LF is slightly different in that I feel more "active" in terms of meditating although I am not "striving" to meditate (does that make sense? LOL).

I actually read your reply last night but did not respond because I wanted to see what happened during another meditation session - I took your post on board and just settled down to "watch" what happened - when thoughts came up I just watched them come and go - I did not try to hold them or push them away. Encouragingly I listened to the whole 40 minutes last night and realised I'd drifted off to sleep during the meditation - having read on here that falling asleep can be common I did not feel I had lost anything. Listening to the whole session is very different to the 2 previous nights when I turned the iPod off. :)

So today I'm encouraged. :D

Have you seen any "improvement" Panthau? Are there small changes you are noticing?

ETA: Just read your post Edwin and it echoed with me - thank you for that :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  19. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Fuzzy, good to hear you are feeling encouraged. Although I have meditated with LF from the beginning for 40 or 60 minutes, it's true that if you only meditate for ten minutes initially, it's good.

I think it's good for you to decide 5, 10, 20 or 40 minutes beforehand. That way, if you stop earlier than planned you'll be pretty sure that you are ending your meditation because you are resisting something that is trying to come up to be released.

Meditation really cultivates the observer and when you learn to observe, accept and release, life becomes so simple, peaceful and enjoyable. It's kind of like finding your own sactuary :)

I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

20. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

I have not posted for a little while so I thought I would pop on an update. :)

I have been in and out of LF for the last couple of week, mainly because I have been busy (ironic and something I am about to tackle). It suddenly dawned on me that being busy is a huge part of the reasons for wanting to be still in meditation. Once I realised that it's been easier to lie in bed and listen to LF at night.

I'm managing to listen to the whole 40 minutes and although I am still falling asleep I do feel something is happening. I have been "observing" my thoughts and that has been very helpful in terms of not focusing on them but watching with a degree of detachment. Last night I felt quite uplifted during my meditation - a wonderful feeling and one I have not experienced in a long while.

I have also recently joined World Gratitude which is also shifting my focus (from the guys who did the Go Gratitude project). I have realised I do not spend much time in gratitude and I am aware I am losing out massive amounts of joy by not doing so.

So all in all I feel more positive than I have in ages. Small steps and all that. :)