1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Where to start?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Joe_17, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Joe_17

Joe_17 Member

Hey

I want to begin meditating daily but I'm not sure what to do.

I've meditated before on and off.

The meditation I used was explained to me from someone online who did martial arts, the meditation was lighting a candle flame and then staring at the flame.
    However sometimes I just sat in the bathroom and just stared at a spot on the wall (not sure if it makes a difference).

I would meditate for 20-30 minutes a time. During meditation I would often think such things as 'Stare at the spot', 'Focus' etc Not wondering if I was doing it properly. I know that doesn't help.

Is it best to just forget everything...who you think you are etc...I sometimes worry that by not thinking I'll become stupid and won't know what to say in some situations.

But my main point was, can someone explain/link me to a meditation to begin with. I suffer with anxiety and feel I'm not breathing properly/or tensing my muscles which cause palpatations though I may be wrong.

Thanks

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Joe and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

Eyes open meditation (as in watching a candle flame) is not really the easiest of meditations to attempt if you're new to meditation.

I would suggest you download the free "Discover Meditation" course from this website and take a listen to that, as it teaches mantra based meditation. Some people also find being aware of the breath (not forcing it, just being aware of it) is a good meditation technique too.

No, you won't forget who you are or what you know. Meditation is not a means of removing the memories or skills and knowledge gained in the mind. Worry about things we don't know is natural, but be assured, meditation brings about positive changes, so recognise that worry is normal, observe it, and just let it go.

See how you get on with the "Discover Meditation" instructions and if you've any questions about it, feel free to ask.

:)

Hugs

Giles