1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Where to Begin?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by CarsonBard, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CarsonBard

CarsonBard Member

Hi, I'm 18 and male. I've been dealing with suicidal thoughts and social anxiety for a long long time now but after a couple of years of hard work I'm beginning to sort of come to terms better with who I am as I come of age and whatnot. I went through a period for a year or two where I had a couple of attempts and lost all my friends to acting on impulses when I wasn't in my right mind self harm etc etc. Since then I've gotten past the depression with therapy and medication but I'm left with this huge anxiety that cripples me in social situations and often kills my motivation entirely or causes panic attacks or very strong feelings of wanting to harm myself to the extent where I shake and have to leave whatever I'm doing. It's causing me problems, basically, and you see where I'm going. Cutting out my old life style and picking up meditation, cutting out junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, just healthy food, bed at 9pm up at 6am. I'm in my last year of high school so I need to do well in the upcoming exams to get into uni is my main driving force.

So anyway, hi, basically. I've been doing this 5-10 minutes twice a day for a couple of weeks but I don't feel like I'm really getting anywhere. Not sure where to start. Any advice on what sort of meditation to begin with or where to begin?

EDIT: I forgot to mention a secondary reason I want to begin practicing meditation is to learn to discipline myself better.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi and welcome to the community :)

Here's a link to a thread that has some very good advice to someone who posted about feeling suicidal:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/mind-body-spirit/3116-everything-reason.html#post15145

I hope the thread is helpful to you because if you ever still have these feelings, it's really important that you seek professional advice.

If you no longer have feelings like this, please let me know because you have access to bonus tracks that you can play quietly, with or without headphones to help you with your studies.

I would just like to make sure that you no longer have any suicidal tendencies because if you do, you really need to get professional help.

I look forward to your reply and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. CarsonBard

CarsonBard Member

I do from time to time but it's a non issue right now, I won't act on them. I've had therapy for a long time but I don't find it very helpful for dealing with anxiety or depression, the medication is about all that has helped but the anxiety remains. Thanks for the reply :)

I don't particularly need help with my studies as I do with a place to start meditating, it's like every time I sit down I don't know where to put my mind, and I don't trust google to give me good advice so I came here.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

That's good to hear CarsonBard :)

Here's a link to some anxiety and panic relief methods:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/meditation-chatter-box/1306-help-please.html#post6345

You can download the free "Discover Meditation" course from the top left of the community. I (and many others here) use this when playing LifeFlow quietly in the background. It really is so easy and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

On the second C.D. you will be given the option of taking part in a 7 minute gratitude exercise. Beautiful music is played for 7 minutes while you think of everything that you appreciate and are thankful for in your life.

I used to do this when I began almost 7 years ago and within a short time, created the habit of incorporating this into my daily shower time. What an amazing difference this little habit alone can make :)

Creative Flow helps whenever I am working at my computer for hours and Optimal Learning helps my grandchildren with their concentration and focus when they are studying.

I really look forward to hearing how you progress and please ask any other questions you may have. Hope you soon experience the inner peace that is within each of us :) :) :)

5. CarsonBard

CarsonBard Member

Thankyou very much, I will read that link tomorrow morning before I meditate. I will also try being thankful in the shower tomorrow morning, haha, it's a good idea.

I just meditated for 20 minutes by using slow counting and breathing techniques to try and achieve the alpha state. I think that it worked ok too since I opened my eyes and felt like it was no time at all, while up until now it's been a strain to sit down and keep my eyes closed and think nothing for even ten minutes. I feel so relaxed.

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

That's great to hear :) Keep us posted with your progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)