1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

When to let go of the Mantra?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by technosmith, Nov 30, 2009.

1. technosmith

technosmith Member

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding using a Mantra.

When I begin meditating I repeat my Mantra over and over again in my mind. After a while I begin to enter a pleasurable and relaxed state. The intensity of my relaxation differs from session to session.

When do I let go of the Mantra?
    Do I keep repeating it over and over for the full 40 minutes?
    Or when I enter this relaxed state do I stop?

Or should I reach a stage where the Mantra simply disappears without actively letting go?

Thanks

Phil

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

It depends a bit on what makes you tick :)

Some let it kinda run on it's own, it can speed up or slow down, go louder, go silent, disappear totally... If you are ok with it it is ok.

Others want more control. If you are one of those, remember that the mantra is meant to keep your attention on observing thoughts ( instead of reacting to them ).
    If and when you start to calm down, thought will calm down as well. So the need for a mantra can go less as well.
    So, when sitting in blissfull silence, just sit and be.
    As soon as thought creeps in again, and you notice that you get caught up in the stories again, simply repeat your mantra once or twice, whatever is needed to return to stillness.

Hope it helps :)

3. technosmith

technosmith Member

Thanks Edwin.

This is quite a difficult thing to master being new to all this.

Occassionaly I will think 'Yes, I'm in a really good state now', but I guess that thought in itself means that I have not quite got there yet, and should then recommence the Mantra.

However sometimes I think 'maybe If I stopped repeating the Mantra, then maybe my mind will be quiet and peaceful?', and that perhaps the Mantra is disrupting my session.

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

When someone is drowning, you throw him a lifeline.
    He grabs the lifeline, and you pull him into safety.

Your mantra is your lifeline.
    When you are drowning in thought, grab your mantra, and it will pull you back.

If however you are swimming on a nice sunny day, with a nice scarsely dressed girl next to you :cool:, why grab a lifeline ?

5. technosmith

technosmith Member

Hehe.

Nicely put.

Cheers Edwin.

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

;)

You are welcome !