1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

When should I meditate?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by mento, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mento

mento Member

Hi,

I am not able to decide about my evening meditation time. Pl advise.

For a few days I meditated for 20 min around 7 pm. I am usually anxious person, so even little things can cause anxiety. Most of the times, the events that occurred after my meditation and before sleep disturbed me and I went to bed with anxiety. That disturbed my sleep. I tried to maintain a quiet environment at home after my meditation sessions, but with family and kids, it was not always possible.

Then I tried meditation just before sleep. But I could not sleep. I would feel very fresh and just lie in the bed awake for a long time.

What should I do? Pl share your experiences.

Thank you.

2. M L K

M L K Member

Hi, Mento. I don't really have a suggestion for a best time to meditate. I do recall one forum member saying that he gets up early to meditate, that losing the hour (or partial hour) of sleep is made up for by the meditation. That might be worth a try for you.

While reading your note and getting a feeling for how anxiety can intrude into your day, I recalled a technique I came across years ago. It's a very simple way to invite your meditative awareness into your regular day. When any difficult state comes up for you, you can say "Anxiety (or whatever) is here," or "Anxiety is visiting." This is very different from saying something like, "Oh, I'm anxious again." The latter phrasing tends to enmesh you with the state. But to acknowledge the state simply as here, or visiting, allows it to be noticed as transitory, allows it to keep moving, and allows you to be distinct from it. Someone else on this forum has talked about this, too -- Giles or Edwin or Olmate, perhaps -- that you can invite these states in for a visit, but leave the door wide open for them to pass through, too.

When I first read about this, I thought it sounded too easy to be true or useful. I guess I was attached to the idea that progress must be difficult. Anyway, I tried it one day when I had an emotional difficulty, and I was AMAZED how quickly it worked for me. I've used it many times since, and hope it might become a resource for you, too. All the best, m

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

For thousands of years, saints and sages have preferred the morning for their main meditation. I would recommend this if you have the opportunity. From a biological point of view, the beginning of the night is when we have the deep sleep (if any), whereas sleep in the morning is filled with dreams; while psychologically important, it is also exhausting. Meditation gives insight without the exertion.

If the morning is not possible, for one reason or another, it is still better to meditate and get stressed afterwards, than to be stressed the whole time. :)

4. veggietovegan

veggietovegan Member

They say that meditating in the morning is the best option because you generate energy while meditating, which can keep you awake at night. But if you meditate in the morning, you are fresh and alert throughout the day, which is what you need. But, I guess it depends on convenience, ultimately.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

6. M L K

M L K Member

Yes!

That would be the post, Edwin. Most excellent. Thanks for finding it for us.:)m

7. mento

mento Member

Thank you all for the responses.

I am meditating in the morning.

I want to meditate twice a day. Meditating in the evening is relaxing, it is just that I am not able to maintain that calmness till I sleep if any significant event occurs in between.

May be, as M L K suggested, just being aware of the anxious state will help. I will try that.

Also, when I meditated just before sleep, I did it for 20 min. If I meditate for 5 min instead of 20 min, it may help? I am talking about this 5 min meditation in addition to the evening 20 min meditation.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Mento,

I love your eagerness to get it right. I suggest you relax a bit, and just enjoy it. I'm laughing because I'm just like you (or was). Try to experiment, take some of the information the good folks on this thread have shared, and experiment until you find what works for you. Have faith that you'll find it, and you will.

9. mento

mento Member

Hi meditationman,

I have been suffering with acute and chronic anxiety. I am trying my level best to find a routine so that I get some relief during the day.

10. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Best of luck to you, my friend.