1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

When pain interferes with meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Optimist, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Optimist

Optimist New Member

Hello everyone,
    I've been doing so well and am now on lifeflow 1. I have ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome and Fibromyalgia, and the peace I am now experiencing through mediation over the last almost year and a half has been wonderful and I have definitely noticed a huge difference in my outlook in all areas of my life. Thanks to this forum I have been introduced to EFT, the Law of Attraction, the power of the now (Ekhart Tolle) and the Sedona Method, all of which I am learning to incorporate.
    But right now and for the last 2 months (I think I may have overdone things physically) I have constant pain in my neck, right shoulder and arm. The strongest pain killers I can take without getting hooked are tramadol and they merely dull it to a deep ache.
    When I meditate it seems to get worse. I can't help but be aware of it and the focus of it probably makes it seem worse. I've tried ignoring it with a mantra, I've tried welcoming it and letting it go, I've tried lying down, sitting up. (though I'm more comfortable meditating sitting up straight). I've tried progressively relaxing muscles and am running out of ideas. I do find I get to a depth in meditation briefly (sort of dipping in and out), but no where near as long as I could without pain. I love the whales in Lifeflow 1 by the way!
    Can anyone help me?
    With kindest regards to all.
    Rose

2. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

John Kabat-Zinn

Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing Rose, I'm sure you'll get some really worthwhile advice from people on the forum but you may also want to consider checking out John Kabat-Zinns work. He is a psychiatrist who uses mindfulness meditation for dealing specifically with pain, whatever its cause might be. Used alongside Lifeflow it could perhaps be very helpful.

Best Wishes
    Graham

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. Ramai

Ramai Member

Hi Rose,

Barley Grass is extremely alkalising and helps balance and nourish the body.
    I tried it in powder form mixed with juice in the past but personally I found it pretty hard to get used to the colour and taste. Now, I take Barley Grass capsules - easier to swallow and just as effective.

Love
    Ramai

4. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

You might try doing some very slow but progressive neck rolls before and after meditation. I have arthritis in my neck and sometimes after meditating my neck feels a bit stiffer and this also effects my shoulder/arms. Neck rolls help me a lot. Also perhaps a hot pack or heating pad after meditation. Sometimes also when the energies really get going in the body because of meditation then any area that has some blockage or resistance really seems to flare up, necks being a prime area for many folks. When I first started meditation my entire body would heat up like crazy and my head felt as if it would explode haha no kidding. But seriously for the neck the neck rolls help a lot.

5. Optimist

Optimist New Member

Thank you for your responses, they are most definitely appreciated. I’ve studied mindfulness in cognitive behavioural therapy, and from my understanding it is heightening awareness of whatever it is you are doing. For the most part in my daily life, this works, but I don’t know how to apply it in meditation when I am in essence doing nothing. I will check out John Kabaty-Zinns work, thanks for the lead Graham.
    I’ll give Barley Grass a go Ramai, I remember reading something about the body sometimes becoming too acidic, but cant remember where.
    ChilliPeppa, I will do some neck rolls when I meditate this afternoon, haven’t tried that yet. Thanks for the tip. You might have something there about blockages. When I became ill my life changed dramatically, and for quite a few years I felt very lost. I was encouraged to join an art class which I loved, then I joined an art society and my work was shown for the first time two months ago at the annual show, and I won the visitors favourite. I was both elated and terrified at the same time. Sounds crazy, but my confidence took a real bashing since being ill, but it surprised me that I felt scared as well as happy. I know that the pain and other symptoms are not all in the mind (my medical tests tell me that), but mind and body are definitely linked and you’ve just given me something to think about. I thought I'd worked through most of my lifes traumas, so perhaps this is another that will eventually surface.

Bye the Way, Thanks for Creative Flow Michael and his team, it really does settle me down to paint! And whether it is mindfulness or Creative Flow or a combination of the two, I can "tune out" the most part of the pain. If I can do this while painting, why can't I when meditating?

Kind regards to all,
    Rose

6. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Let us know how you progress. Good luck.