1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

When I meditate it feels like I'm an egg

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Level0, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Level0

Level0 New Member

I suffer from a chronic nerve problem which leaves me in constant pain. As part of a pain management course at the hospital I was given a CD of meditation and visualisation exercices. I just couldn't get it at first but after meditating twice a day for the last few months I can meditate relatively easily. However....

If I go into a deep meditation I gradually start to stop feeling any physical limbs, it's as if my arms and legs just aren't there and instead begin to form an egg like shell around my body, it feels like if I'm enclosed in a peaceful shell of emptiness and my physical body is like a sleeping embryo, curled up and suspended inside. It is a very peaceful experience and not at all scary and afterwards I feel refreshed and alive but it can be very difficult to come out of and takes me a long while to get my bearings back. It almost feels like I could be disintegrating and being absorbed into my surroundings.

Is this normal or dangerous and should I be continuing? I have no previous experience of meditation, or in fact anything leftfield or esoteric. I have a biology degree and have always approached everything scientifically, always been an atheist and had no belief in any form of spirituality.

I can now control my pain much better and the impact that acupuncture, acupressure and meditation have had has been incredible. Something very strange is happening when I meditate, well beyond anything I expected. I'm really starting to open up to a whole new world of possibilities but has anyone come across this type of experience before?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator