1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Whats love?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

What is it? Is it a sort of glue, keeping everything together? Whats its part in our reality?

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Love is consciousness.

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

But love is a state, it is something formed, it has a shape so to say. Isnt consciousness free of any state?

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Which sort of Love?

Love with attachment is limited. It is used to gain control over another and is self-ish rather than self-less. This is love from the mind.

Love without attachment is love for the benefit of all (True Love). There is love in everything, and this comes from the True Self of all and, as you say, it's a sort of glue, as it is the true connection between all that makes us One. This sort of Love is real as it IS another label for our True Self. It is unchanging, ever existing, and cannot be removed or manipulated.

;)

Hugs

Giles

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

It can be covered up by emotions tho. :)

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

But has it its own intelligence? Is love a form that god has chosen for itself? If we let love into our lifes, it seems to take it over. But theres this heavy resistance.

Love seems to connect, while the ego seems to divorce, and both seem to have their own intelligence somehow.

I once woke up in the middle of the night, and in the dream right before i thought "my body needs more love", and when i woke up i heard in my left ear (only there!) a voice as clear as anyone talking to me in waking state, saying "WHAT DO YOU THINK, YOU WONT PUT LOVE INTO THIS BODY!". It was pure terror and i thought please someone take this voice away, and it immediately got silent. Weird things are happening between dreaming and waking state... :D

7. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Yes, it took me 50 years to realiase that :D:p

On Love, my father once told me that Love is a verb, that love requires actions on our part. He expanded by saying don’t just say the words “I love you” thinking everything will be alright and that phrase will fixed everything in our relationships. For him the actions that show love are really more important.
    For years I followed this script, but recently the realisation came that love is space, pure and simple space. By allowing space for everything that comes our way we experience the one true love as mentioned by Giles above.

My father also told me a joke about where love stops and marriage begins.....but we won’t go there!! :D

8. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Phil,

Maybe this is an oblique way to add to this thread, but...

We are told God is Love. Therefore if one examines the integral approach to Spirit, it identifies three faces of Spirit. They are:

• In 3rd person, Spirit is known as It. You contemplate and perhaps serve Spirit, the ultimate mystery of existence, and the total Kosmos, including the very Ground of Being, often through nature, mysticism, philosophy and action.

• In 2nd person, Spirit is known as You or Thou. You open to and commune with Spirit or the ultimate mystery of existence, often through prayer.

• In 1st person, Spirit is known as I. You awaken consciously as inseparable from Spirit, the ultimate mystery of existence, often through meditation. That which is Ultimate is ultimately beyond all perspectives. But it can only be pointed to via perspectives. Each of these perspectives offers something unique to our awareness and growth.

In 3rd person contemplation, you see It. You open your eyes, mind and senses to the ultimate mystery of existence, and thus notice details and distinctions... In contemplation you become aware of the fullness of Spirit and the Kosmos in more of its rich and miraculous multidimensionality - gross, subtle and causal. Moved by this vision people often actively serve others and Spirit.

In 2nd person prayer and communion, you open into intimate contact with the ultimate mystery of existence, letting It become Thou. You metaphorically face God, your ultimate Beloved, and become knowable to (not hiding from) that ultimate consciousness. In the process your feeling heart and soul cannot remain untouched or immune. You allow yourself to receive grace or the blessings of the mystery of existence. You open, deepen and surrender.

In 1st person meditation, you come to know yourself to be the I of Spirit. You let go of all limited identifications with memories, thoughts, sensations and desires, and awaken consciously as the I AM-ness of the here and now. You awaken into and as the total present moment, as the Self, the non-separate identity of the mystery of existence, and even beyond all conceptions, into what is sometimes called the Suchness or the emptiness that is not separable from anything or anyone.

So while this walks all around the idea of Love, it kind of helps point to the paddock boundaries in which it resides. Hope that helps.

Nothing but the best...

Olmate

9. athar

athar Member

On our world "Islam", The word "love" is something sacred +Commitment.
    IF you love someone, you must love him with all your heart.
    To live for the love and devotion to him and accepted by all the disadvantages.

It's not just a word you say to any one, but it is life for the one you love.

Love is a compassionate look at all the time and everywhere
    love is the energy from our heart. ^^

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks olmate, interesting description... though im still identified with that body lol

This space <-> love thing is interesting, it reminds me on the book "The lazy mans guide to enlightement", where the author describes us as more or less dense beings, and the less beings are just space, allowing others (and information) to pass through (while the dense ones dont see the whole thing because the information cant pass through). According to his explanation, we get dense when we deny something.

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Athar and welcome to the community. :)

Is this not the love associated with attachment/love created by the mind? Why should any person not be loved or not have the word love said to them? Such a restriction on love would seem to indicate that this is not True Love that you are referring to, but the love in the mind.

I think we do let our minds limit such concepts as love and the mind loves ('scuse the pun) to blind us to the fact that there is another sort of Love that is not the love that the mind created.

Interested in your thoughts on that.

Hugs

Giles

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Personally, I think love is way too beautiful, too precious and delicate to be violated by words. Only a poem can touch some of the beauty of what it is.
    Stop trying to explain it, and instead start to feel it.

And since Athar talks about Islam:

A Poem by my favourite Muslim poet:

The Meaning of Love

Both light and shadow
    are the dance of Love.

Love has no cause;
    it is the astrolabe of Allah's secrets.

Lover and Loving are inseparable
    and timeless.

Although I may try to describe Love
    when I experience it I am speechless.

Although I may try to write about Love
    I am rendered helpless;
    my pen breaks and the paper slips away
    at the ineffable place
    where Lover, Loving and Loved are one.

Every moment is made glorious
    by the light of Love.

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

thanks Edwin

What a lovely poem - grateful you shared it:)

14. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

Love doesn't exist.

If you would live in a world where everything is made of rock. Would you use the word rock to show something? No, because there is just that. The reason why we call a woman a woman, and a man, a man, it's because everyone is not a woman and everyone is not a man. It's because there is a difference.

If you agree that conciousness is love, and consciousness is everywhere, it means that love is everywhere.
    The reason why we use the word love, it's because we don't see it everywhere. When we are able to see love in each act, each talk, each situation, we understand that love doesn't exist.

15. Panthau

Panthau Member

I wouldnt say so... of course we couldnt judge the difference to other feelings, but that doesnt make it less real. Its definitly a condition. I guess its the condition of oneness, of no-separation. The natural state of us, so to say. And it feels so wonderful, because its what we are... one.

Sounds at least good. :)

16. Edwin

Edwin Member

One thing I do know for sure Pan, the moment you stop looking for love, you start understanding that it was never gone.

Words are made by mind, mind is without love. It is analytical, it is a tool.
    It can produce all kinds of emotions that can cover up love, make it seem as if it is gone. Hate, anger, remorse...
    But underneath those emotions, love is always there. It is the foundation of life.

People who have been so unfortunate to grow up without learning to recognise love, by growing up in disfunctional families, or having to cope with traumatic memories think that they are without love, but love never left them, they just have never learned what it looks like, feels like.

When trying to understand love, one will look like a gold-digger, standing in a field of gold nuggets, but not knowing what colour gold is.
    You will only know what it is when mind becomes quiet. For most people, this happens only when "falling in love", or when meditating.

17. Panthau

Panthau Member

What meditation tought me, is to let go of my thoughts. That works quite well, though i havent found the foundation of love that you mean. Or maybe it is the way you said, and i just oversee it. Im sick of all of this, even the talk about it... lol

But thats a good sign also i guess... it means im onto something, which i dont want to see. A chance to knock on that door and crush that wall, which hides these emotions from me. This all seems like a neverending story to me.... one wall after another. And im always forgetting how i broke down that last wall... lol

18. GilesC

GilesC Member

Remember that analogy of a lightbulb I used waaaaay back when you first joined. The light from the bulb is always there, but over time dust settles on it and we can no longer see the light. We just need to brush away the dust and the light will shine through. So, even though we can't see the light, you know it exists.

Reminds me of a couple of things... one being the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Persig, in which he searches for the meaning of Quality, and determines that there are two types of quality, subjective and objective. Without subjective quality, a blank wall would look just as appealing as a wall with a picture hung on it, so why bother having the picture. Subjective Quality does exist, but it is a creation of the mind. Yet Objective Quality cannot be defined. You sort of just know it exists at a dualistic level, but the moment we free it of dualism, it cannot exist, because everything (the oneness) is the quality.

Secondly, it reminds me that subjective quality is really created by the mind's 'need' to create attachment to things, or to create dualism. How can the mind seperate the oneness into dualism without first creating judgement which in itself requires a measurement to make one 'thing' and another 'thing' different. That measurement is the subjective quality the mind creates.

So it is with Love. Love exists in everything, but the mind tries to seperate it and create the dualistic concept of Love and Hate (use whichever pairing of opposites you choose). Love and Hate requires judgement, which is an aspect of mind. Just because one person says they hate another, doesn't mean that that 'other' person is a manifestation of hate. Sure enough, there will be someone who loves that 'other' person, so they cannot be both a manifestation of hate and a manifestation of love at the same time. This shows that the hate and love are just subjective concepts created by the mind that is observing (creating) the 'other', and that this hate and love are manifested through attachment to things in the mind but not the present moment. In the present moment there can only be True Love which is neither hate nor the subjective love, it just simply IS.

Hugs

Giles