1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What type of meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by serenityinfinite, Feb 25, 2014.

1. serenityinfinite

serenityinfinite New Member

Hey folks,

I'm currently getting into meditation and I would like to focus a bit more on a type that suits my goals. There seem to be so many types out there and I'm not sure what's going to be the best for me, so I'm hoping someone here can help me!

What my goals are:

I recently realized that I've been building my happiness from the things around me and in my life, which creates a fragile environment. When one of those things changes, it affects my happiness. So I've begun searching for happiness within myself. One barrier I'm trying to break down is how my mind works.

I notice that I have the type of mind that worries about the past, and is anxious about the future. I over-analyze thoughts and dwell on them. I want to be able to live more in the moment and realize the positivity in things. I want to discover how to make being happy a choice. I want to be more fluid as a person and not stress or worry about situations out of my control. Basically, I want to rewire my brain.

What type of meditation will help me do this?

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi SerenityInfinite and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

Well, that's a lot of questions in a small post. I'm not sure I can answer them all simply in a single reply, but I'll try and summarize some pointers for you.

It's good that you've recognised that true happiness does not come from attachment to non-permanent things. This is something that many Buddhist teachings will talk about. In summary, if you cannot take it with you when you die, then you should not become attached to it.

How the mind works is a very complex subject... too much so for this post I feel, though perhaps when you say "I've begun searching for happiness within myself" I can suggest something for you. Consider that true happiness actually already exists within each of us. An analogy I was taught (and you'll probably see I've used elsewhere) is that true happiness, true love etc. are like a lightbulb. The light is always there, always shining, just that over time it becomes covered with dust, sometimes so much so that there appears to be no light. By recognising the dust and clearing it away, the light starts to naturally shine through again. Whatever it is, we don't have to search for it, because we know it's there, we know we were born with it naturally as a part of us, but if we want to see it we need to rid ourselves of the things that are preventing us from seeing it. So the question is not "How can I find happiness within myself"... the question is actually "What is preventing me from seeing the happiness I know is within me?" When you can identify these things, you can make a conscious choice to deal with those things, and as you deal with them, you will see what you've been looking for. ;)

As for worries about the past and future... I'm sure I don't need to say it, but I will... The past is the past and cannot be changed; The future is the future and has yet to be determined. The one thing you can know for sure and can influence is the present moment. Learning to live in the moment (or in the "Now" as Eckhart Tolle calls it) is a very powerful tool to help us live our lives with greater happiness and less worries, as well as other effects such as allowing us to become more productive, less accident prone etc.

As for meditation... many types of meditation can help with this. A mantra based meditation such as that you can download for free on this website (The "Discover Meditation" download) is ideal. The purpose of meditation is to bring yourself to a greater state of awareness, which doesn't just effect how you are during the meditation, but starts to permeate into your daily life. For most, it's not something likely to show immediate effect, but with practice and persistence, you'll find you can look back on your life and see how you've changed gradually over time.

If you've got any specific questions, please feel free to ask, and people here will surely be happy to help.

Hugs

Giles