1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

what name is he?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by chris-da-fur, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chris-da-fur

chris-da-fur Member

lol I just saw a video of a young kid catch his first fish. One of the first things he asked was "what name is he"? made me stop and think.

2. Ramai

Ramai Member

He IS Ali.

3. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Chris,

Looks like the little kid got both of us thinking :D.

For me, this is a good example of how the mind just wants to label everything. I still find it a bit odd that a tree is not actually a tree, that’s just the name/label someone gave it.

I can remember the first time I heard Eckhart Tolle say something like:
    “Your name is just a container for you past experiences and future expectations”
    and
    “Imagine if you had no name”​

I found both of these comments fairly powerful but also liberating. I can remember thinking that if I had no name it was almost if I had no past and the future was totally free. Maybe the comments impacted me more than they will others, but an interesting couple of things to ponder none the less.

Paul

4. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

names

Hi Paul,

Just stopped to consider if I wasn't 'Hazel' what name would I give to this just now

answer

headache!:eek:

:D:D:D

5. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi HazelKay,

I found my mind blew a gasket too :eek:

:)

Paul

6. meryem

meryem Member

I guess answer to this question can be given by his(fish) family only. :) Otherwise its name could have been just another fish.:rolleyes:

7. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

Ah, but a tree is a tree and the past is real. The labels might not be the whole truth, but truth still remains in the label.

8. brozen

brozen Member

ha, this made me think what if you had no sight. to me that is very liberating.
    it would almost be like living a life in text i would imagine. I find it easier to be extremely open when typing or writing on paper, as long as I know it can't be traced back to my physical identification (real name/real appearance). I wonder if by having no sight it would almost be like not identifying with the outside world. Never forming the same kind of separation from objects that we form with our sight.

Time to find a blind person and question them!

9. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Can you expand on this a little, I'm intrigued but can't grasp what your pointing to. :eek:

10. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

The labels we give things are just as (if not even more so) real than the object by itself. Without the label we cannot communicate, without communication there is nothing. So yes, imagine if you had no name for a minute or two, and then be in even more amazement when you realize you do have a name after all. Its a far more miraculous discovery.

11. olmate

olmate Member

I can't help but think that labels are limiting and "flat". I do have to declare a personal dislike of pidgeon holes, so I do have a bias.

The idea of not having a name at one level seems very attractive. It invites so many possibilities for conversations in the now from limitless perspectives...

Olmate

12. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

The beauty of labels is that they can change, if desired. That is why labels are far from the whole truth, but how could we communicate about anything coherently without them? The human mind uses symbols to understand everything....including the concept of not having a name.

13. brozen

brozen Member

I would've thought the labels are much further from the true reality.

The object is perfect and holds 100% truth.
    When we add a label, it is our personal interpretation and this detracts from the perfect truth.
    Is it possible to add to truth? If you agree that truth can be defined as perfect/ultimate/absolute, then how can you ever add to perfection?

Our minds are not perfect and cannot truly understand the object, and therefore its reality.

Or am I just using truth and reality in the wrong way?

14. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

You are using labels to try and talk about abstract things like truth and reality, neither of which means anything without the labels you are giving them. We have found ourselves right in the eye of the tautology of existence.

The object and the label go hand in hand as long as we are in our human forms. Whether this is the ultimate truth or not, once again, just comes down to the symbols and labels one uses in their minds.

15. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

The conversation about labels is interesting. We all know that a label is a word that acts as a unique identifier for an object, a sensation, an experience, to remind us of that object, sensation or experience.

In the most basic sense, we experience the physical world through touching, tasting, seeing, hearing, and smelling. We tend to exaggerate thinking about sensory experience and understate sense perception itself.

As an example, we tend to think about the weather with labels such as, “Today is a wet and windy day,” rather than simply feeling the present sensory experience directly in whatever way that is appearing, either as the actual wetness of rain falling on our faces as we are caught in a shower or the sound of wind and rain against the tin roof outside. To know a wet and windy day directly is to experience the wind and rain directly rather than through the label, “This is a wet and windy day.” The label is, at best, a story about the day. It is not the wetness and the sound itself.

But sure, if my wife asks what's the weather like, I’ll definitely not throw her outside and ask her to experience it herself (although tempting ;) ) I will conjure up a story....

Peace :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011