1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What motivates you to want to meditate?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by islovin, Jun 18, 2009.

1. islovin

islovin Member

I have a some questions for the community.

1. How long have you been meditating regularly and do you meditate daily?

2. What was your motivation for beginning to meditate?

3. Do you have a goal for your meditation practice?

4. Have you reach your goal with your meditation practice?

5. If you have reach all or part of your goal how long did it take?

6. Do you do anything in conjunction with meditation to reach your goal...i.e. books you have read, courses you have taken, physical exercise?

Here my answers:

How long have you been meditating regularly and do you meditate daily?
    I have been meditating daily since September of 2008 and have been using LifeFlow since March 2009.

What was your motivation for beginning to meditate?

To deal with my past issues because I felt that my old patterns of behavior were no longer serving me. I had tried therapy which helped me to discover many things about myself but the process of actually seeing what my behaviors were, was just too in depth for therapy sessions. I felt it was work that I could only do on my own.

Do you have a goal for your meditation practice?

My personal goals for meditation are:

To continue to be the best me there is. This is an on going life proces.

To behave in the now the way I choose to behave. My previous behavior patterns were patterns of behavior that I used when I was a child. At the time these old patterns of behavior were necessary. They were the only tools I had. They became automatic responses. In many cases some of these behaviors are no longer the best responses to a given situation.

To raise my tolerance level in order to feel more compassion for myself and others.

To feel happier and more peaceful...ALL of the time.

Have you reach your goal with your meditation practice?

I have reached many of my goals:

Some of my goals are a lifelong process.

I am beginning to behave in ways that better serve me. Some of the things that used to trigger my past automatic responses are no longer triggering me.
    I have more tolerance and compassion for myself and others and look forward to acheiving deeper levels of this.
    I do feel happier and more peaceful but not ALL of the time. Definitely more of the time and significantly more than the recent past.

If you have reach all or part of your goal how long did it take?

So after about 8 or 9 months I began to see significant changes and progress became more rapid in the last 4 months with the use of lifeflow.

Do you do anything in conjunction with meditation to reach your goal...i.e. books you have read, courses you have taken, physical exercise?

I do many things in conjunction with meditation:

I have read many books...my favorite is "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. "Living in the light" by Shakti Gawain. "In the Meantime" by Iyanla Vanzant.
    I exercise regularly outside preferably. I try to do this daily but I am not as disciplined with this as I am with my meditation. I like to walk vigorously and Bike ride.
    I take courses online. I particularly like Bill Harris' way of communicating these Ideas. He is the director of Centerpointe and creator of Holosync(the "other" brainwave entrainment program there are plenty more out there)

I write....A LOT!!!

Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to some of your responses. Especially Polly and Edwin hope you guys respond.

Irene

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. Edwin

Edwin Member

I started meditation in october 2007, been doing that regularly ever since.

I was under a lot of stress, which caused insomnia.
    With meditation, the stressfull environment actually got worse since then, but my reaction to it became better. I am very calm and relaxed and cured my insomnia in about 2 weeks of meditation.:)

It used to be to help me relax, and to cure my insomnia. But somewhere in the process I wanted to use meditation to reach enlightenment.

Curing stress and insomnia: Yes.
    Reaching a constant state of enlightenment: Not yet ;) but believe me, I am working on it !!! I have been experiencing longer and longer periods of enlightenment-like states, but I feel that there is infinately more work to do to reach it.

Well, curing stress is an ongoing process, it is gone as long as I meditate. Insomnia same story.

Do you do anything in conjunction with meditation to reach your goal...i.e. books you have read, courses you have taken, physical exercise?
    Physical exercise: Ju-Jitsu. As far as I am concerned, there are very strong connections between martial arts and meditation, and enlightenment.

Books I have read: "The Power of Now", "A New Earth" by E. Tolle, "The Quiet" by Paul Wilson.

A LOT of websites on "Advaita Vedanta".

Some Youtube movies of Mooji :)

3. Papp

Papp Member

I started meditating in the 90's, but my regularity was irregular. Always daily but missing segments of months here and there - I would just get caught up in life and "flake" because I had too much going on at work, home, etc.. But, about a year ago I re-dedicated myself to it and have been doing it daily. I count meditation as life practice (like brushing my teeth and such) now, so I don't ever want to be without it again.

I didn't like who I was or how things were going for me. I complained a lot for years like many others but it was finally "enough" and I started to take action(s). I saw people with more control over themselves and their lives and it was very attractive to me.

Yes and no. The 'goal' is to know my true Self as best as possible, improve my life and the lives of whomever I am capable of touching in my lifetime. But since it is a sliding scale, I can't say it is a goal I can reach without dying. ;)

Yes and no again. My life is much, much better than it ever was and that I ever thought possible, I have more control over myself than I thought I was capable so yes.. But no, because my goals are for a lifetime.

It took a while for me to notice "real" change. I was talking the talk initially but in order for me to notice true root change in the way I felt about and dealt with things took a bit of time. I can't say specifically because I notice that I continue to change so my "from here" and "to there" are not the places they were.

I am addicted to audio books - I love to dig deeper, learn more and peel away as many layers of ignorance as I can.. As time goes on, I am finding and wanting that I have a more integral practice that includes exercises physically, mentally, emotionally and so on. Though I don't have the education to follow "properly" I like to consider myself a trouble making, sits in the back of the class and barely gets by student of Ken Wilber. :D

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Been doing guided/focused meditations for about 5 years. Mantra based meditation for the last 2 years. Meditate twice a day.

Wanting to feel better (find myself) after loads of cr*p in my life, especially at work.

No ultimate goal, no. Simply use it as a tool to make every moment better. Better to live in the present than to concern myself with what the future may hold.

If my goal is to help myself in my everyday life, then yes.

At first, it was difficult to notice if it was doing anything apart from allowing me to take time out and relax, but over time I've noticed things changing, especially my own personality and this then effects those around me too. All for the better it seems. ;)

6. Do you do anything in conjunction with meditation to reach your goal...i.e. books you have read, courses you have taken, physical exercise?
    Wow, big question, lots of answers.
    I do Reiki, EFT, FreewayCER, All Love (SKHM) and I attend a Practical Philosophy class (all based around vedic teachings and living in the present moment). As for books, there are far too many to mention. I read lots of science books (quantum physics and that sort of thing) and also lots of spiritual/self help type books as well, all assisting me in gaining an understanding (in my own mind) of who I am. I'm also a moderator and contributor on a complementary health forum so get to discuss things with a lot of other lovely people who are also interested in the "spiritual" way of life.

Hugs

Giles

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi again Linda, it's very interesting to read the different answers to your questions. Here are mine:-

Have tried different types of meditation for about 16 years including T.M. and Holosync but never experienced the changes in my life I was hoping to achieve.

Met Michael Mackenzie about two and a half years ago and began his fast track a couple of years ago. LifeFlow is an integral part of my daily routine.

About 18 years ago I read Think and Grow Rich and a couple of other books that blew me away. I discovered "I'd got the power" to be, do and have anything I truly desired and meditation was the missing link that I needed to master this. I was on a mission to tap into the power of the superconscious to help me.

Yes, although it's changed somewhat now. I have achieved most of my big personal goals of working for myself, working from home, and finding an idyllic place to live for all my family.

Knowing now how beneficial LF is to improving emotional, physical and spiritual health, my goal is to constantly keep all these parts of my being in tip top condition and hopefully inspire others to do the same.

I enjoy endless benefits beyond what I expected. Having let go of a lot of negative and supressed emotions has allowed me to become confident, calm, decisive, assertive and every now and again, I experience an amazing aha or eureka moment (usually when meditating) that is truly beneficial and life changing.

I sleep better than I have in years and have more energy. All my senses seem crystal clear and this amplifies endless experiences with seeing, hearing, tasting, touching and smelling.

The past no longer haunts me, I just really enjoy and am involved in the present moment, whether working, resting or playing - this is truly a gift.

I have become aware of these incremental changes over the last two years - it is now and always will be a part of my daily life - who knows what will unfold next - I don't ask - I just enjoy :)

I love walking in nature, cycling, reading, writing, relaxing, having fun with family and friends and helping others. I read, listen and learn from successful people to enable me to achieve and become the best I can be and hopefully make a difference to many other people.

The gratitude exercise is also an integral part of my day - this simple habit, done in the shower, as I am going to sleep, as I watch my children, my grandchildren, my husband or as I relax in the shade on a swinging chair beneath a magnificent tree is a wonderful thing to do.

I believe life is amazing when you become responsible for your thoughts and actions. I wish you all an abundance of peace and joy on your incredible journeys of self discovery :) :) :)

6. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Closing in on 40 years, but adhering to a consistent daily practice, more like 30.

Seeing peace in the lives of others who live under anything but peaceful conditions and wondering where this peace comes from.

To experience God.

Yes.

No time at all.

I pet my cats.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Wow... I don't know what to say, and that is rare with me...

Oh wait:
    LOL !!!!!

8. islovin

islovin Member

I am really enjoying this Thread...I hope more of you reply. Thanks to all who have already replied. I find it fascinating...I learn so much from hearing about other peoples journeys.

Ta-tsu-wa

Well this certainly explains much about your many insightful grounded responses to all in this forum.

More questions for you...

Do you use lifeFlow and for how long?

If so how do you compare the meditation techniques you have used throughout your life to it?

What additional benefits do you find with LifeFlow,If any?

What other types of meditations do you or have you used?

Can I pet your cat?????

Thanks

Irene

9. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

I pet my cats

A LOT! They're rather insistent on that point.

Are you familiar with a biblical passage that says, "Cleanliness is next to godliness"? My cats would dispute that. They maintain that being a cat is next to godliness. In fact I'm quite certain they believe cats invented godliness as they have no doubt they invented cleanliness.

To be honest, there are days when I think....Hmmm...They just might be right.

10. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

islovin

I do use LF tracks, often during meditation and frequently as ambient background sound. My primary technique for meditation I suppose you could call, "listening to silence". LF isn't a technique for meditation per se, but is a tool to enhance any meditation technique. It blends in well with listening to silence.

I'm certain there are tangible benefits obtained by listening to LF tracks besides the fact that they promote better meditation, but it would be difficult to distinguish which are the results of the tracks, and which are the results of meditation. It seems to be a package deal.

As for other techniques of meditation I've used, quite honestly I see only three distinct meditation techniques. There are those that cause you to narrow your point of awareness. There are some that cause you to expand your awareness. And some that combine the first two. Everything else associated with meditation is really just window dressing, so to speak. Ultimately, regardless of which "technique" you use, it's going to ask you to go down one of the three paths I just mentioned.

I've used all three and my preference is for the expansion of awareness path. It feels more natural to me.

And yes, my cats thrive on attention. They'll soak it in from whomever is willing to offer it.

11. Panthau

Panthau Member

Daily since about october 08, 30-60mins.

Falling from one extreme to another and depressions.

Not really. I just feel better with it, and in the long term it seems
    to change something in me.

Partially.

Hm about 6 months.

Im trying to astral project, which is one more reason for me to meditate, and im reading a lot of books for that matter.

Thanks for asking, its reminding me why im doing what im doing :)

12. beth

beth Member