1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What is this feeling?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Tiago Basilio, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Tiago Basilio

Tiago Basilio Member

Hello everybody :)

Lately I have experienced a strange feeling some of the times I have meditated. Maybe someone else has experienced this: an intense and wavy feeling starting from the low part of the body and 'escaping' through my head, an almost orgasmic like feeling that make my toes and fingers curl :eek:

I am sure it has something to do with my energy field, but how and what!?

Someone, please?

TB

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hiya TB,

We can experience many things during meditations and, in truth, only you will know what those things mean to you. We could all offer our own speculations about it, but it's not us that's experiencing it and not us that has your understanding of your self.

Personally, if I experience anything, I simply observe it and choose to let it go.

Hugs

Giles

3. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

I am generally in agreement that we can have any number of strange experiences when meditating (because of the awareness that is released from being bound up in our everyday attentions).

However, this particular case sounds disturbingly like the Kundalini effect. Does it seem to move up along the spine? Like a snake made of energy that uncoils? If so, you better read up on Kundalini before getting too far into it. Some of us have a natural tendency in that direction, and it is not something to play around with without careful preparation. It can indeed cause a release of energy more intense and far longer lasting than an orgasm, a complete whiteout of the mind. A full-blown Kundalini awakening is quite a strain on both body and psyche.

4. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

5. KeithP

KeithP Member

I also had similar experiences when I used to practice TM, in my case it felt like a gentle explosion in the uppermost part of my skull.
    I do not feel that it is a cause for concern but is simply part and parcel of the meditation experience for the energy body. Rather than looking into kundalini I would do a bit of reading up on the Taoist concept of the microcosmic orbit as this will throw more light on what you have been feeling.
    One useful tip is to keep the tongue on the roof of the mouth whilst you meditate as this will keep the energy circulating in an easy manner and help prevent it getting stuck in your head.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    K

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Nah, it's nothing to be scared of.
    Everybody experiences Kundalini rising at different times, although often it's attributed to other things unless the person is aware of kundalini energy.

If anyone's interested in reading more on kundalini I can highly recommend the book:
    "Kundalini and the Chakras" by Genevieve Lewis Paulson.

Hugs

Giles

7. Tiago Basilio

Tiago Basilio Member

Thank you for all the feed-back :)

I haven´t eared about Kundalini before, and as I read, some of the things start to make some sense to me, like: the way that the feeling manifests itself and some of the supposed side effects like depression, negative thoughts, slowing of thoughts (this one in particular).

I don´t know if is a sign of some other psicological disturbance or if it is due to Kundalini, but the funny thing is that I have been practicing meditation for more then a year now, and only when I do a particular Osho tipe of meditation, this feeling manifests itself. More or less intense, I know when I do that one kind of meditation that energy will apear. I never experienced it until the end (if there is an end to it), it is too intense sometimes and it feels like something is leaving my body.

I guess I better leave that one alone, because I don´t have anyone to guide me through it. But I will keep on reading.

Bless you all.

TB

8. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Ah, I may be overreacting on this one, but the whole concept of rising energy, curling toes and orgasm-like feeling reminded me of the bad old days of unrequited Kundalini movement. Man, I was badly shocked at the time. I was like "OMG I'm being raped by a female energy serpent HLP PLZ!!". Thus my advice that people be mentally prepared before playing with Kundalini. But it seems most people don't experience it that way. Perhaps I was just spiritually sensitive. Or really innocent or something.

The Microcosmic Orbit, as it is commonly called, seems eerily similar except it also includes a movement of energy down the front. I learned about it from a practitioner of Christian Yoga, he seems to have experienced it as gentle and ongoing. Perhaps it manifests in different people with different intensity.

Strangely, I don't have any unusual sensations in my body at all when using LifeFlow - it is no different from ordinary quiet meditation to me.

9. NeuralNet

NeuralNet Member

As a layman, somewhat new to meditation the Wikipedia description means very little. What on earth should one be "mentally prepared" for? The description is so vague that its hard to know how or what to prepare for. A rising energy that travels up the spine? Doesn't sound bad, so what else is there to worry about - specifically?

This is the biggest problem I have with eastern-oriented meditation text. It seems so vague, impenetrable and subjective as to be largely meaningless.

10. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi NN,

It is true. Unless you have studied the eastern concepts of the energy/meridian system, it can all seem a bit meaningless and airy fairy.

I think, in the simplest terms I can put it, when the kundalini energy rises, it is going from the base chakra (between the legs) up through all the other major chakras and out of the crown chakra on the top of the head. Each chakra relates to certain concepts of mind, body, emotion, spirit and therefore as the energy rises it can effect these chakras and manifest through these concepts, e.g. as it passes through the heart chakra (the emotional center) it can bring about changes in emotions; as it passes through the 3rd eye chakra it can bring about a moment of (spiritual?) insight etc.

That's in simple terms anyway. ;)

Hugs

Giles

11. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

NeuralNet brings up a challenge that we meet often.

We live in a culture where many concepts are simply unknown, to the point where we lack the words to talk about them. How would someone from another culture write about these things in English? Or someone who has spent a lot of time reading books where these things are described in their natural context of the culture and life there?

If we use the fairly precise terms from another language, the new reader would feel like a 90 year old Amish picking up a computer magazine. There would not be enough familiar things to understand at all, and even some seemingly familiar words would mean completely different things.

If we use analogy, comparing to more familiar concept, we could mislead people. For instance when I compare a sudden rise of Kundalini with orgasm, I don't literally mean that it is sexual in nature. But most of us don't have other pleasurable experiences that are so intense as to overwhelm the daily mind.