1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What is right for me?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by secretman9, May 16, 2012.

1. secretman9

secretman9 New Member

Hi!
    I have been wanting to start with meditation for a long time, but never really gotten to it. The problem is the HUGE amount of different schools and types of meditation, and as a beginner there is really no way to know where to begin. So, I have decided to ask around on some meditation forums to see if there is anyone that could help me recommend a style of meditation that might be a fit for me.
    So, this is what I want:

1. An "effective" type of meditation. I can not get my self to spend more than 10-20 minutes meditating, at least not now.

2. A scientific approach. I dont want a religion, and I dont want anything "corny". Meditation styles with hearts, flowers and things like love and peace is not what I want. We are all different. I want to be able to put my self in a calm state of mind, and maybe in time learn to journey even further into my mind, not learn to love or something like that. I hope you guys can acccept that without flaming me for it.

3. A type of meditation that starts off as something simple, but also have more advanced techniques that you can learn as you progress.

I hope this is enough for someone to atleast point me in some direction.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the community :)

10 to 20 minutes is fine and if you choose to extend your time or not in the future is also fine. You could download "Discover Meditation" from the top left of the community. It's very similar to the T.M. meditation but without the cost, ceremony and flowers.

Once Michael talks you through it a couple of times, you can use the 5 or 10 or 20 minute timers on C.D.4 of the course.

You may want to download the LifeFlow demo then and play it while you meditate. LifeFlow is really effective in stabalizing your meditations.

Here is a link to a thread which has helped many here:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Meditation is simply entering into the quiet within each of us, beyond the consistant thoughts. Just resting a few minutes a day in this state is extremely beneficial. You have great tools here to aid you access to this peaceful state of consciousness.

Hope this is of help and I wish you much peace and success :) :) :)

3. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi secretman,

Welcome :)

If think Pollyanna has covered points 1 & 2 with the free “Discover Meditation” course.

The only things I’d add are that it’d probably be worth giving this technique (or any) at least a month or two before deciding it is or isn’t the method for you to use. I’ve seen more experienced meditators on the forum suggest one of the worst things you can do is to chop and change techniques frequently as you just end up getting no benefit from many methods.

As for point 3, if a simple/initial technique works why would you need to build on it? My advice would be to find a simple technique that works for you now, rather than one that promises the ultimate meditation at “some point in the future”.

I hope you enjoy your journey! :D

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Only you will know what is right for you, and that will come with time and trial and error.

Most meditation techniques can be practiced for just 10 to 20 minutes if that is all you want.

Hehe! yes there are some "corny" ones out there. The free Discover Meditation course you can download from this site is essentially the same technique as Transcendental Meditation (TM), though TM involves (apart from the cost) some "initiation" ceremony which partly involves the student bringing along certain things (flowers, white handkerchief etc.) as some sort of offerings, and mostly involves the teacher reciting a ceremonial blessing in sanskrit, which if translated is giving blessings to various deities. Fortunately, Discover Meditation doesn't have any of the ceremony, it just teaches the meditation technique which is all that is really needed.

There are other techniques, though finding good teachers can be the hard part as there are many teachers out there, but many are including "new age" ideas in what they teach, which clearly isn't what you're after.

I listed a few other techniques a couple of years back here:

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/meditation-chatter-box/2416-books.html#post12668

Meditation is meant to be simple. The simpler the better. The only thing "advanced" about meditation should be how well practiced you are and able to get into a meditative state.

Michael who owns this site does have another product called Enlighten Q, and that has some interesting additional techniques that can help with meditation (Michael markets it as a technique to reach enlightenment, but hey that's marketing for you hehe!)

EnlightenQ - The doorway to enlightenment is now open for you to walk through if you choose!

As a product it's only made available occasionally for some reason, though I'm sure contacting support may yield some way of getting hold of it. A lot of us here were fortunate to be able to get hold of it when it first came out. Firstly though, I'd recommend starting with Discover Meditation.

Any questions, you can always ask on these forums. There's plenty of experienced meditators here to guide you.

Hugs

Giles