1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What is happening?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Elviic, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Elviic

Elviic New Member

Hi, I am Elviic and I just recently started to put my attention into meditation. Firstly, I became interested in spirituality by reading the book 'The Power of Now'.

So, let's cut to the chase; I had this experience only once and I have tried tried to reach this 'realm' multiple times but, unfortunately, it has not worked. (I did not use any additional sound effects to help me.)

I started to meditate in a total silence and darkness. I had a continuous flow of thoughts coming into my mind; I tried not to judge these thoughts and I just let them flow through me by concentrating on my breathing.

I found myself falling into these 'mini dreams' couple of times, however retaining my conciousness after few seconds.

Then, I entered this 'state'. I heard a high, loud sizzling-tinnitus sound in my ears, and, at the same time, I was overwhelmed with vast, uncontrollable fear while still being fully concious. I felt as if I am leaving my physical body and comfort zone, and entering into this 'realm'. I could still think and realise what is happening, however I could not move my fingers, even if I wanted to!

The fear was obnoxiously vivid and very scary; I was very curious to stay at that state and see where it would lead me but the fear was just too overwhelmingly strong, hence I decided to wake up (open my eyes).

How come I could not move my fingers but I could open my eyes easily and has anyone else has had such extraordinary experiences? :confused:

Thanks, Elviic :)

2. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Elviic,

I haven't had this experience myself, but I noticed this hadn't replied to so thought I've give it a bump back up the list to see if any of the more informed members can give you a steer.

:)

3. Optimist

Optimist New Member

Hi Elviic, it very much sounds to me like you experienced an episode of hypnagogic sleep paralysis which does create fear, and all you can move is your eyes. You mentioned falling into mini dreams but regaining "consciousness" after a few seconds. If you google sleep paralysis it will explain everything to you. Wikipedia has a good article on it. It's likely it was a one off. Many years ago I experienced one when waking rather than falling asleep. Scared me half to death but the doctor explained it all to me. Never had one since. Hope this helps.
    Kind regards, Rose

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yup, that sounds 100% like sleep paralysis. Its common to feel fear in this state, because leaving the body creates fear... of letting go? Something like this. :)