1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What I don't like about the LOA

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by Space Fox Now With Lasers, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Space Fox Now With Lasers

Space Fox Now With Lasers Member

Here are some issues I have with the LOA. I am getting this information from TheSecret.tv, the official LOA website. Here are some quotes from the website that I take issue with.

1. "Fall in love with money. Most people do not love money, because they always feel that they don't have enough of it."

I have always been taught that money is not the root of all evil, but rather the love of money is. It does not sound very healthy to me to fall in love with money.

2. "Be grateful for the money you have. Appreciate it as you touch it."

I agree with the first sentence but the second one is almost creepy. How about I rub it all over myself while I'm at it.

3. "Love yourself and know that you are deserving and worthy of an abundance of money."

What exactly makes me worthy and deserving of so much money? Does this apply to child molesters too? Does everyone who believes in LOA truly deserve a bunch of money, just because they believe they do? This kind of attitude is called a "sense of entitlement". It's a big problem in America, and it can be very annoying. But when I went to the Philippines a few years ago, this attitude was virtually nonexistent. I think that anyone who has been to a poor country will agree with me on this one. It's extremely refreshing.

4. "Know that you are worthy and deserving of anything and everything you could possibly want in your life."

Here's that attitude again...

5. "Know that you are perfect. Do not think any negative thoughts about you."

Well if I'm already perfect, then I guess there's no reason for self improvement. Once again, does this rule also apply to child molesters or anyone who reads the book?

6. "Do not blame or criticize anybody, ever."

Hey Hitler, I don't really agree with what you did to the Jews. But, I'm not criticizing you or anything. And I guess I can't blame you for the holocaust either. After all, you are perfect just the way you are^^

7. "Make your happiness the number one thing in your life. Free yourself of the responsibility of trying to make other people happy. Respect and love them enough to allow them to take care of their own happiness."

Ok. Why don't I tell that to the little girl I'm sponsoring in Ethiopia. "Sorry Sahayanesh, I won't be sending you any more money because I love you enough to let you take care of your own happiness."

Here is how I would summarize LOA...

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME! I am the greatest thing since sliced bread so don't get in the way of MY happiness. I deserve everything in the world because I'm AWESOME!

I'm not opposed to having high self esteem but this is ridiculous. This is not solid philosophy. Please don't take offence if LOA is your religion. But does anyone here see where I'm coming from!? I would love a rebuttal if anybody's got one...

2. Midnight

Midnight Member

Personally, the existence of LOA makes sense to me, but at the same time I don't live my life by it. It seems like it is more like a "law of physics" type law than something mystical. Like if you were to let go of something (say the need to get somewhere during meditation) you get there because you're not worried at all about it. I hope you get what I mean.

As far as your concerns go:
    1.Love is not the widespread connotation of the word. It's usually associated with a major attachement for another person. It's actually just a complete acceptance for all that is. That is the state of love, and loving all things. To love your money means to fully accept what you have. People who are always wanting to get more more more do it because they do not accept the amount of money that have now. They don't love it because they don't actually accept it. Same applies for everything else.

2. Your mind is resisting this in the form of judgement. All it is saying to be thankful for everything you have. Regardless of how it is expressed, that's the underlying message.

3. Much of American culture is plagued with a sense of "not being good enough". Looking at advertisements, magazines, anything mainstream really and that's what you find. It's not surprising that most people do not hold themselves in high esteem. The message behind this is that you are good enough for good things to happen. Some people live thinking they are not good enough for good things.

4. It just means realize that you have an amazing amount of potential. It's not an ego "Look at me, I'm awesome" sort of thing but just a sense of knowing that you are capable of amazing things as a human being. I look at myself as that, and I look at everybody else like that. Sometimes it sucks looking at people wasting their life away on an addiction or something when you know that everyone is capable of something amazing.

5. We are born perfect. Everything that is perfect within us is accessible outside our minds. The radiant beauty within us lies in our true nature. Which is that of being. A child molestor's mind is the way it is because it is a result of something that happened. He or she wasn't born that way, but it is a reaction to something (most likely less than perfect parenting). You don't see many kids stressed out or wanting to be better at something. We are born as diamonds, and life covers that up (with negative experiences, suppressed emotions, your environment, etc) Yet this only forms the ego. Your true self is still accessible.

6. Blame and being critical are just more forms of resistance. Resistance does not help anything.

7. If you're not happy, you can't really make other people happy. Help others by helping yourself first. It's like on airplanes when they tell you to put on your ocygen mask before helping others with their own. You can do more good getting yourself taken care of first, than risk your health and struggle to help someone else with their mask.

Your beliefs are very socially constructed, meaning you judge everything that doesn't fit in with your views. Nothing is truely good or bad, it's just society's moral standard that makes it so. But it is mind created, so it ultimately doesn't mean much. That's not synonymous with "It's okay if you kill people". It's not. Murderers murder as a result of their own pain. If everyone lived without resistance and in full acceptance, none of the things society deems as "bad" would happen anyway. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

any
    SF, in several posts you request someone debate or rebut your position. This forum isn't a debate forum. Those kinds of sites are invariably filled with hurt feelings, harsh words, and much flaming. We try as best we can to avoid those very things.

You also make it clear you're Christian and quote from that theology as the authority that supports your views. Many here are not Christian or adherents of any other organized religion. Some are even atheist or agnostic. Rather than quoting a theological position, I'd be more interested in hearing about your personal experiences with LOA whether positive or negative.

Personally, I find the basic concept that you tend to draw those things to you that are in harmony with your intentions to have been very true in my own life. Tied closely to this concept of attraction is a heartfelt sense of gratitude. The two go hand in hand. It's unlikely a person who is wholly self-absorbed will have much success using the principle of attraction because such a person is generally not possessed of that attribute of gratitude, which seems to be the fuel attraction draws upon to work.

My wife and I have a very comfortable material life due largely to having attracted abundance to us. At the same time, like you, we sponsor a number of children in various developing countries around the world. We also provide assistance to single mother families here in our own country and we sponsor and support numerous other charitable organizations including animal rescue groups, the Special Olympics, and our own church. We even contribute to a really unique group called "Bikers for Jesus", who carry out food drives for the poor. It's quite amusing to see these large, long-haired (usually) guys in tattoos and leather standing outside the grocery store collecting canned goods to distribute to those in need. Their outward appearance is so completely the opposite of what you would expect for someone collecting for charity that we couldn't help but subscribe to their cause.

Without application of the principle of attraction I doubt we would have reached this point of material abundance where we have the means to assist as many people and groups as we do. Based on personal experience it's clear to me that attraction is neutral in and of itself. You can use it equally well to help others as to fixate exclusively on yourself. It's neither good nor bad. It's what you do with it that attaches a value, either a positive or negative one. It's much like money itself. I can take my $100 and use it to pay for heroin, or I can use it to adopt an animal that's been abused and neglected. Same hundred bucks in both cases. The only difference was what was inside of my heart. The money is not to blame for what's in my heart. I'm responsible for that. Just so, I can't blame attraction if someone chooses to use it in purely self-absorbed ways.

Now, that's a little about my own experience with attraction. What's your personal experience with it? Have you tried it? Have you sought to use it as means to help others and, if so, how did it work for you?

4. Space Fox Now With Lasers

Space Fox Now With Lasers Member

Loa

First of all, thank you for not being mean in your response to my post. It doesn't seem like a lot of Christians are drawn to meditation. I guess they assume it's a little too "new age". With that being the case, I certainly feel like I'm in the minority here, so I feel like it's going hard for me to make friends.

Let me start off by saying that I didn't join this forum to stir up controversy. I'm not a troll, and I'm not trying to start arguments when I ask for debate. I look forward to this opportunity to talk with this group of people who are theologically VERY different from me. But if you say that this forum is not for debate because people's feelings could get hurt, then I don't really have a place here, because I don't really agree with much of what anyone says here.

I just don't see a great benefit of having a bunch of people in a room, sitting around agreeing with each other. How is knowledge acquired that way? How is the mind expanded? I have a lot of knowledge to offer on various subjects including lucid dreaming and astral projection. (Both of which I can do) I'm one of very few Christians who believes in the other dimensions and astral planes. I've also come up with a way to enhance meditation by actually tricking the eyes into shutting off while open. When you close your eyes, you are still seeing. I have a way to stop seeing all together. Meditation with your eyes off will blow your mind!

Well I'll write some more tomorrow, I have to go to sleep.

5. Midnight

Midnight Member

Space Fox,

I believe you have some awesome contributions and I would love to hear some of what you have to say. It sounds interesting and I do hope you post about "shutting off your eyes" soon.

For the record, I like this forum because there is little to no conflict here. I got to other forums to discuss and such, and I learn a lot, but even here I've learned so much about the principles of meditation and just living life without creating problems for oneself.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Space Fox,

I posted an answer on your other thread about the LoA...

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/law-attraction/3037-poll-about-loa.html

... so I won't repeat myself here. ;)

Unfortunately a lot of people just go on other people's ideas and beliefs without their own research or knowledge of what is true. Meditation is described in the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanisads, the ancient texts and stories of Advaita Vedanta (Vedic Philosophy to you and me :D), which are purported to have been written long before (in the B.C.'s) the Christian Bible came about, so if anything Christianity is "New Age" in comparison to meditation. ;)

Not at all. There are many different people with different views and opinions here. Friendly discussion is all that's needed.

How do you know you don't agree unless we discuss? Take a step back, take a breath, and continue. :)

Not everyone agrees on here, but what you will see is that we all have a common interest. How we reach our desired goals for that interest comes about through different ways, and it is those differences that we are learning from each other.

I think, if you look at what "debate" is, then often it is seen as people who are deliberately there to take opposing sides to topic of discussion. Whereas, if we are just here to discuss, then we may all agree, or we may have opposing opinions, but people don't start the discussions deliberately seeking or in fact requiring opposition as a debate would.

Brilliant. There are certainly some people around here also interested in those subjects.

I think you'll find you're not. I'm a moderator on another forum and it has thousands of members who are of many different faiths, and many of those are Christian or believe in God, but are also following spiritual paths and take a great interest in spiritual dimensions etc.

If you're not seeing, how do you know you have shut your eyes off? ;)
    I have an uncle who can fall asleep in front of the TV with his eyes wide open. It's quite scary to see. LOL!

In truth, the "seeing" is something that can be let go of, whether the physical eyes are open or shut. This is part of the practice of meditation, to just let things go.

Hugs

Giles.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

I think the biggest difference is that people here are interested in Dialogue, not debate.

I mean dialogue as a conversational exchange between two or more people, and I see debate as people trying to convince each other of their own point of view.

I am always interested in hearing what moves people, but that doesn't mean I have to adopt their view. I likewise believe that others have no business with my point of view unless they ask about it.

So, a dialogue I am always interested in. And if we can do that in a free athmosphere where everybody can talk uninhibited an freely because they know that their opinion can be given without expecting someone to bite their head off, all the better ;)

---------

I have heard a lot of discussion about wether or not Christians should practice meditation or not.
    Most of them mean meditation as dictated by the Transcendental Meditation or TM movement. I would have to agree that it doesn't mix well with Christianity, because the founder of the TM movement did in fact mix a lot of Hindu beliefs into his meditation program.

But the word meditation has it's origin in the Latin Bible:
    Meditation has always been a way to contemplate, to search within, for Christians.

But we are discussing the method of meditation, not the meditative state. The meditative state is a natural state of the human body, or we wouldn't be able to.
    Every religion has it's own method.

If you strip the technique of meditation from all the beliefsystems, you end up with a practical meditation practice like the one offered by this site for free :)