1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What does it mean to be skilled at meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Oxynidus, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Member

The way I see meditation, it's simply being in a relaxed state of mind. I've tried to meditate a few times, and all I found it to be is a state of mental relaxation. So how can you be "good" at relaxing? To me, that sounds like being good at sleeping.

I think I'm having trouble understanding what meditation actually is. It seems to be no different from taking a nap. What am I missing here? Is there any reason why I should spend an hour meditating instead of napping?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the community :)

you can meditate for 15 minutes, once or twice a day if you prefer. The benefits of meditation are cumulative and so a little each day can bring staggering benefits over time. Here is a link to "The Principles of Meditation and Entrainment" It is rather a long read but well Worth it and it has helped many people here:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. Maxwel

Maxwel New Member

Great discussion on meditation and like to add meditation improves concentration, increase confidence and improves self acceptance. Meditation sooth stress and improve your mood. Meditation boosts your immune system and reduce the risk of many health problems.

4. keithmay51

keithmay51 Member

Hello Oxynidus,
    You say you see meditation as simply being in a relaxed state of mind.
    Actually that's not at all what meditation is. It is rather getting into and maintaining a focused state of mind. In keeping your mind focused on something, a mantra, your breath, whatever, you stop it's wondering around here and there. Then your thoughts will gradually slow, your mind getting quieter and quieter, more and more relaxed, much more relaxed than you can ever achieve by simply resting. And it will bring your whole body into this relaxed state along with it. And from here all sorts of healing can begin.

If I were you I'd download the meditation instructions Pollyanna told you about. See if they work for you. And if not there are many different methods of meditation, many freely found online. Find one that works for you. And stick with it. And always remember the only difficulty in meditation is starting and sticking with it. If you're persistent, you WILL succeed.

Best of luck to you.
    Keith