1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What do you think about...

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

...the fact, that we perceive our reality only in our brain? All the 5 senses that give us information are, as we know, only electric pulses and the reality itself is created in the brain.

So if we think about it, it would be easily possible that this is only an information stream, and theres no reality at all as we perceive it. Like a computer, that gets information through a cd or something, how can he decide if the reality he gets is "real"? He depends on what he perceives.

Any thoughts?

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Very briefly...

How do you know that the brain is not just an interface between the senses and the True Self/One Awareness/Consciousness (whatever you want to call it)?

It's possible for people to have parts of their brain removed or suffer from some brain damage, which may manifest as a disability in the physical sense, but they are still completely aware and can still perceive "reality" (whatever that is).

If you close your eyes, are you still "aware"? ;)

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe yes of course, because of my other 4 senses :p

I see it the same way, that the brain is an interface to perceive the reality as it is, because
    the true self couldnt experience things like that without an interface that shrinks the perception or reality the way it does.

Im asking myself, is this reality really there, or just a stream of information that hits the interface. On the other hand, its not that important.

Another thing would be, to quiet the 5 senses and perceive the "real" reality... i think thats what called out of body experiences.

One more thing: when we die, we perceive more information then when we´re alive. But still not the whole thing, so there must be another interface... made of energy?!

Maybe im too far off topic, and this is a bit philosphical, but my interface likes explanations *gg*

4. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

I wonder on the basis of what you can make that statement! How do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know what is perceived when we die? :confused:

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

:rolleyes: I was thinking the same Charlie Brown, but I guess Pan may simply have mis-explained due to English not being his native language. I'm sure he'll answer though. :)

Indeed. The only thing you can guarantee to know to exist 100% is your True Self (your Awareness).

Not necessarily an OoBE. When you truly enter the meditative state you go back to BEing one with your True Self. Sight, Smell, Taste, Sound, Touch, even time ceases to exist there.

According to the teachings of the wise, we are already all One. How can we not be the whole thing when we die?

Nothing wrong with a good philosophical discussion. ;)

Hugs

Giles

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

On the basis of my believe system... im sorry, i should have mentioned that. From all information i´ve gathered so far, i definitly believe that we leave our body at our death and with that, our awareness "normaly" expands a bit, which of course does depend on the individuum. A few months ago, i woke up and my whole body was shaking, like waves of electricity were going through me. At that point i "remembered" (as crazy as this may sound) the process of dying and birth - thats the only thing in this case which i experienced, everything other is just my believe system.

From what i´ve collected on information, there are different in-between stages. First thing would be for most souls to go to their believe system, rest there and when they see that its only a believe system, they go further. Some souls also stuck, because their emotional bindings or their unfulfilled desires bind them to the near physical plain (astral). I think thats very individual, so when you´re ready im sure you can go instantly back to your whole beeing and decide as a whole what to do next (reincarnation or go further). Robert Monroe, William Buhlman and many others wrote books about that, which saw those things with their own astral eyes... of course, this could all be nonsense.

My sentiments exactly :)

7. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi Pan,
    There are many, many observations that people have made through the centuries that are "unexplained". People "knowing" the life experiences of people that have died and had lived thousands of miles away. The multitude of people that have come forward to describe experiences openly without fear of ridicule.

Very well written post Pan.

The experience that you had as you awoke sounds like a tough one to cope with. Hopefully, your outlook on life has been strengthened by your experience. Pan, take every day one day at a time. Focus on the workouts as I do which will help in the stress department. More importantly focus on your loved ones in your life and appreciate them. They will get you through any tough waters.

shine on :) :)

jim

8. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

I didn't mean to challenge your believe system Pan, I was just asking a question!
    And I am up to any philosophical debate you guys wish to have :p
    However my point is that we should always keep separate the facts and our believe systems - basically, one thing is what is actually happening, and one thing is what we believe... When it gets to believes, we are of course free to believe whatever we want, but of course believing something (or in something), doesn't transform this into a fact. That's what I believe, at least! :)

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

;) thought you would like that.

How about this one:

"God is in all people.
    But not all people are in God.
    This is why they suffer "

Ramakrishna

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Oh, btw, it has long been proven that our "perception" is not reality.

Einstein created the theory of relativity, which explains the universe best at this time.

According to this theory, time is relative to energy and matter.
    This means, that time will be percieved differently on a moving object compared to a motionless observator. Even more freaky, distance will become less as speed progresses towards the speed of light.

An example: Suppose we are travelling away from earth with 80 % of the speed of light. We, travelling at this speed will actually percieve distance at 60% compared to anyone on earth.
    Let's make a trip to Alpha Centauri ( 4 lightyears away ) at this speed.
    For us on the ship that means that we are crossing a distance of 60% of 4 lightyears = 2,4 lightyears.
    So, we are travelling a distance of 2,4 lightyears at the speed of 0,8 lightspeed, this would mean that we would travel 2,4 divided by 0,8 = 3 years.

However, for the person on earth watching us, everything is still going according to plan and we reach Alpha Centauri exactly after 0.8 times 5 years = 4 lightyears.

However at lightspeed, all distance and time falls away for the one on the ship. In other words, the instant a lightparticle leaves the sun, it arrives on earth, covering a distance of 0 over a timelaps of 0.
    But for us it takes eight and a half minutes to feel the sun's rays. We are looking up into the sky to see the sun as it was eight and a half minutes ago.

This is science.
    So, how we percieve it all is different from how it is, because it is all relative. We still say the sun comes up, even tho it has long been proven that we rotate around the sun instead of otherwise, and the earth's turning makes the sun "move" around the sky.

Our "reality" is based on erronimous sense-perception.
    In fact, more and more scientists are coming to the conclusion that all that we think is real, is in fact a holographic projection.
    Check out this article:
    Science and Spirituality

Could you please tell me what's real and what's not ? :cool:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  13. Panthau

Panthau Member

Wow, i didnt knew anything about that! Crazy stuff...
    I like this adage, even if someone could argue about the term "god" :p

Thanks for the link, gonna check it out!

Oh, and btw: i thought its 8mins from the light of the sun to us?

YouTube - A short girl taller than tall Guy

:)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  14. Edwin

Edwin Member

You are correct, changed it.:D

Oh and great youtube movie HAHAHA

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009