1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What do you mean by concentration

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Leeam, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Leeam

Leeam New Member

Hey everybody,

I just started using LifeFlow one week ago and already feel alot more relaxed in generel, Im really amazed ;)

but what Ive been wondering about is why it is so imperative to concentrate on a mantra, the breath etc.
    It came to my mind because I once attemted a speedreading seminar and they talked about concentration as well. but their take on it was that youre concentrating all the time, only not always on what you want to
    Like, when you are speedreading a book, but then you listen to the bird starting to sing outside, well you did concentrate, at first on the book and then on the bird ;) makes sense to you? ^^
    they compared the mind with a wild mustang which you have to consciously direct
    Because I really like to make up scenes in my mind while listening to lifeflow. Do I still have the same effects when doing that or is it something different?

and something else I wanted to ask, I saw a chart saying, that with LF 10-8 youre experiencing a relaxed state and with LF 7 you start to get into a Meditaionstate and Im REALLY looking forward to this, do you actually FEEL a difference?
    So many more questions, but thats it for now ;)

LG,

Leeam

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Leeam and welcome to the forum :)

In a way, those speedreader teachers are correct.
    What they describe, the constant searching of the mind for new things of interest on which it can concentrate, is a typical function of the mind.
    Their comparison with a wild mustang isn't so bad, however they are trying to direct the wild mustang in the right direction, to direct the wild unfocused energy of the mustang so that they will get where they want, while in fact it is possible to tame the mustang and make it a trusty companion that will always do what you want without constantly bucking and kicking.

Eckhart Tolle, among other teachers, explains in his book "the power of Now" how we seem to be under the impression that this kind of living, constantly searching for the next thing to concentrate on, constant mind-chatter, that we feel that this is the only normal way to live. He describes it as "the thinking disease".

Meditation techniques are designed to help you reach the state of meditation. When in this state, the mind is allowed to rest for a while from it's own frantic searching. Consciousness has nothing more to concentrate on, no need to.

The state of meditation is a state in which mind comes to rest, where almost no thoughts, or sometimes even no thoughts at all arise. And when that happens, you feel an enormous amount of peace, and feelings of bliss may arise. The addiction that most people have with their thoughts basically comes from the idea that this will help them to feel happier, but in fact those thoughts are covering up the happiness that allready is inside themselves.

From what you are telling me, it seems that you have not yet reached the state of meditation, you are just entertaining your mind by doing this:
    The state of meditation only occurs when your attention is directed away from your mind rather than on what it can produce.
    This is what Eckhart Tolle means when he calls it "the thinking disease". You seem to have come to terms with the fact that your mind is always making noise in your head, you have accepted this as the only way to live.

Before you return to LifeFlow, I would suggest you go through the meditation course again, and follow it to the letter. If you have been making up scenes in your mind the past meditation sessions, you haven't been meditating at all, and the possibility is there that you could go through all levels of LifeFlow without ever touching the state of meditation.

Fortunately, this is not the case.
    The meditation state can't be created by LifeFlow. You have to do this by yourself. This is why Michael gives his free meditation course to everyone interested before telling you about LifeFlow. As you can read here http://www.project-meditation.org/c...23-what-exactly-lifeflow-what-can-do-you.html there are different levels of LifeFlow for different brainwave frequency's. Every brainwave frequency has it's own benefit, but only when in the state of meditation. You have to be in meditation in order for the LifeFlow levels to work. Even with LifeFlow 10 - 8. It may seem that because the brainwave state is less "deep" than the lower brainwave frequency's it might be inferior to the other levels or something, but this is not true. Every level has it's own benefit. But if you are going to wait for the meditation state to happen from a certain level of LifeFlow, you are going to be waiting a long time.
    Ta-tsu-wa made a very thouroug research about meditation and LifeFlow:
    http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html
    It's a lot to read, but really, very informative indeed :)
    We will be happy to answer them :)

3. Salem Temple

Salem Temple Member