1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What do you do, if you´re...

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

...not that motivated to meditate? Are you forcing yourself? How does it affect your well-being or your meditation "progress"?

If im tired or not motivated in some way, then my meditation is mostly shallow, so i sometimes just let it be. I tried to force it, but it doesnt feel good somehow.

Whats your experience?

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

There's no point in forcing it. We do get times when we're not in the right frame of mind (haha! that's just an illusion!), or we've got to be somewhere or get something done that just doesnt' give us the time. The best thing to do is to just get on with meeting the need(s) of the present moment, then return to your meditation when you are able.

Hugs

Giles

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yup, i guess you´re right, as always ;-)

This question cant arise from the now anyway... still the mind wonders sometime, why this or that is the way it is :p

Thanks
    Pan

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Here's a thought Pan although it's not about motivation - had a really busy and fun week-end with my grandchildren. Sunday I had an hour before going out for dinner to my daughters.

I had a few things I wanted to do though they could be put aside for a day or so. Feeling rather tired, I knew I needed to take a little time out and decided, rather than give my usual 40 minutes or a full hour to meditate with LifeFlow I would just do the Q exercise but felt so good I continued with the 13 minute extended practice :) followed by Me, Myself & the Universe :D

The outcome was I felt so refreshed and enjoyed a lovely meal. My husband, on the other hand went for a two hour sleep and was too tired to come with me :eek: and I'm sure I would have felt the same if I'd have slept too ;) Anyway, he chilled out, watched a football match and my daughter plated him a meal up :)

I just know what a difference meditation makes to my daily life. Maybe on days when you don't feel motivated just do 5 minutes of the Q exercise.

I do need a bit of motivating with ironing though :D so if you have any tips I'd be happy to hear them hehe

Wishing you much peace and joy :) :) :)

5. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

no motivation

When I'm in the groove with a project, I'm often tempted to skip my meditation and always regret it if I do.

Sometimes I sit on my cushion and all I seem to do is continue visualising what to do if that colour doesn't work or this edge is too clumsy for that piece.

There are occasions though, when I come to my cushion and these thoughts are whirling and I just let them but continue sitting and returning gently to the focus as I become aware of the distraction and a shift occurs and the latter part of the sit is fine and focussed. I try to remember then that the first bit of the sit was also fine because it was reality and the important bit was just coming to the cushion.

In the snowy wilds here, meditating in a warm space with a nice warm shawl is bliss at the moment!

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Even tho I recognise a good funny remark when it's there ;) actually I do have a tip regarding ironing !
    Listen to LifeFlow or Creative Flow and focus completely on the movements of ironing. Observe the sensations of ironing, and try to do your very best at the task. Mind you, it is not about the result, it is about the act of ironing.
    When giving it your most attention, you will greatly enjoy an activity that in the past seemed like a drag ;) In fact, you will have changed ironing into meditation !

As always, same to you ;)

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

Great example, Polly :)

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Had a really interesting dream tonight. Basically it was about the wallpapers in a room where someone complained about that its old and ragged, and a woman tried to make it ok. Then i (?) went into another room, and this room had the wallpaper i had in my childhood and some other stuff. This caused undescribable emotion within me.

I guess this wallpaper is like the door to my emotional childhood. Its interesting that this feeling was uncovered and direct in this dream, and when i woke up it was nearly gone. Felt like it gets covered with something.

The reason im writing it down here is, because i cant meditate that much atm, as im getting nervous afterwards and i thought maybe im just lazy (therefore this thread). This dream tonight felt like something bubbling on the surface of my mind, but through meditating it couldnt get through somehow... it needed a bit of distance to show itself, somehow. Probably just my interpretation.

Thanks for listening :)
    Pan

Haha i just had this funny idea about my dream. The dream begun with that a few people who were escaping from north korea in a boat, they shouted that north korea shall admit that its a dictatorship. Other boats from the marine were driving behind that boat from the escaping people, and they shouted back "Yes, we are a dictatorship and we allow no one to escape!". In the end the boat with the people in it escaped to america, and the americans gave them a safe spot.

On of these guys from the boat was a rich man in north korea, and he wanted to keep his living standard also in america. When he saw the mentioned wallpapers, he shouted and complained about them, keeping this woman busy with repairing the issue. Thats when i got into that room with the childhood wallpaper.

I just thought, what if north korea is "the" creator (which is a dictatorship somehow), and "i" wanted to escape that, finding a safe spot in the ego. I had a rich life in this dictatorship, and wanted to keep it up at the ego, which was quite impossible. Haha!

I know dreams of someone else arent that interesting, still i wanted to have it written down. Thanks anyway if you´ve been reading so far ;-)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. Kauil

Kauil Member

Dreams man, they're cool. You've had them since whenever and every night you go to sleep you kinda know what to expect... but still sometimes they really get to ya!

I think it makes sense that your dreams are set accordingly to what is bubbling up in your subconscious. I've begun having an increasing amount of dreams involving ego, problems of thinking, this sort of stuff. I take it as a sign of the teachings sinking further in :)

I agree, your own dreams are way cooler than others, because you were there to experience it all! If only there was a way to record dreams. That would be scary :O

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Wow that would be great! Id watch dreams all day long :D

This was maybe only a dream, but it was also an emotional opening to my terrible childhood. Which again is a good thing for me, as i hadnt any access to it. yay!

11. Kauil

Kauil Member

Only dream, only reality, only life, only death.

Not to get you tangled in what is and isn't, but it might be that it's not only a dream :)
    We do, afterall, sleep through (ideally) one third of our lives.

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

In fact, it was only a dream. It was the story my mind created about that bursting emotional bubble.

The reason i posted it was, that it seemed that through my regular meditation this bubble couldnt burst. By backup up for a few days from meditation, my mind could settle down and work with what came to the surface.

Maybe thats helpful for others. Otherwise there´d be no reason to post it, right? :)

13. Kauil

Kauil Member

Only a dream, then :) Purposeful nonetheless, it seems.

To your last question.. I'm still supportive of the thought that everything you do, comes from an inner motivation, and is in fact, selfish. Even if it's helping a complete stranger with something. There's still the tingling feeling afterward that makes YOU feel good about what you've done.

Feel free to correct me :)

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe thats what i tend to tell others, if theres a reason to. Love in its purest form is said to be the only thing, that doesnt come from the ego. But that shouldnt prevent us from helping others, even if the ego benefits from it. Without the (always a bit selfish) help from others, i´d be still stuck in my emotional valley.

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

I disagree.

I have seen numerous selfless acts from people in my direct surroundings, where they had nothing to gain.
    I agree that there is a feeling good after you have done a good deed, but if this was really that rewarding to the ego, we would be doing good deeds all the time, and reality shows that this is not the case.

And it might be that in you description, you might have overlooked a feeling that might be of some importance: Love.
    For instance, I am constantly trying to be the best father to my daughters that I can be. I want them to grow up healthy, both mentally and physically, and ready for the world.
    I do not do this to feel good about it, or to be proud of the work I am doing.
    I am just doing it because I love them.
    If my wife asks me to do a chore that I don't feel like doing, and do it anyway, this is not for my own benefit, the only reason why I do it is because I love her, I would not get off my lazy bum for anyone else.

But that's just how I look at it.

16. Ramai

Ramai Member

Please don’t stop sharing your dreams, your insights and realizations or asking questions. This is what makes this place so special.

Love,
    Ramai

17. M L K

M L K Member

words can be tricky

I recall reading a philosopher years ago (don't remember who it was, sorry) who made the observation that self-interest is distinct from selfishness. The fact that we can enjoy doing things for others, and thus have a self-interest in helping others (regardless what actually motivates us), suggests that we are fundamentally social and capable of compassion. By contrast, when we are selfish, we are choosing to promote ourselves AGAINST the interests of others.

Just thought I'd throw that into the thread. Warm regards to all, Margaret

18. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks for sharing that insight Margeret !

I agree.:)

19. Panthau

Panthau Member

Interesting point of views, thanks for sharing. I tend to agree with you all. Thanks for the nice encouragement Ramai. :)

20. Kauil

Kauil Member

Ok, I don't have a wife or daughters like you, but to me what you describe as love sounds like a conditional, attaching love.

Can you describe me what you think love is?

All of your posts have made sense so far, but this seems conflicting to me.

By saying that all actions are selfish, I meant that in the end there is a personal gain in everything you decide to do. It could be as subtle as "I don't want to appear a certain way to my peers, SO I do this seemingly unselfish task for them." It's not as rewarding to the ego as something more directly selfish, but the reward is there to motivate the action. It just doesn't make sense to me that you could function purposefully without an inner reason.