1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

What are your wishes for 2009

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Bhavya, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Everybody
    Reflecting this morning brought me to the question:

What do we want for ourselves and the world?

So here it is - I'm throwing this into the center of our circle, thinking that we might inspire one another.

Here are some of mine, briefly:

Peace
    Love and compassion
    Recognition that we see one another as brothers and sisters, including ALL living beings and our planet too.
    Out of that, a spirit of generosity...sharing.
    My daughter just walked in and said she'd like
    Clean drinking water for everyone in the world.
    So let's add, food and shelter to that, and safety!
    Everyone to respect everyone...

Or we could just say, enlightenment for all!

That's it for now...gotta run, but I hope y'all add yours to this!

Happy New Year!
    May we accomplish all that our hearts yearn for and all that we need for ourselves and the world!

Love
    Bhavya

2. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi Bhavya,

That is a wonderful list, I can't think of anything else to add :)

A happy, peaceful and joyful New Year to everyone, may all your dreams come true:):):)

Chris x

3. Anni66

Anni66 Member

Hi Bhavya I agree with Chris....wonderful list buddy :)

My heart-felt wishes to everyone for 2009. Lets make it our best yet ;)

A xx

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Bhavya, what a lovely gesture :) I think you've covered it all. Much love, inner peace, good health and blessings to you all for an amazing 2009 :) :) :)

May all you beautiful people captain your ships to wonderful places :)

5. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Bhavya,
    Thank you so much for starting this thread by posing this vital question at the start of a new year. I have been on Christmas break for the last 10 or so days. I’ve been away from my office and my computer. I have been reading all the new posts on this forum on my iPod Touch but have been unable to respond in depth.

LifeFlow meditation and this forum have been such a blessing for me these last several months. To all of you who take time to post and to offer your encouragement and insights, thank you so very much. Your “small” acts of service are so significant. It reminds me of a poem by one of my favorite writers Emily Dickinson:

They might not need me;
    But they might.
    I'll let my head be just in sight;
    A smile as small as mine might be
    Precisely their necessity.

Concerning Bhavya’s question of: “What are your wishes for 2009?” interestingly, this was the theme for my 2008 “Christmas Letter.” Here are some excerpts from it:

I’m sure that many of you have seen the movie “The Secret” or have read the book. Lately, there has been a lot of interest about something called the “law of attraction” or simply LOA. I am currently reading a book by an Australian named D. James Albert. The book is entitled The Realization System. D.James Albert - Official Website

In his book The Realization System, Mr. Albert suggests that you make and prioritize a list of your desires. I’ve been pondering this the last few days. Strange as it may sound, this task is proving more difficult than I thought it would be.

Do you remember years ago when we were kids and wrote letters at Christmas time to Santa Claus? When we were kids it was pretty easy to come up with what we wanted, wasn’t it? We just looked at toys advertised in catalogues or on TV and wrote up our lists. Now that we are adults, have our lists changed or are we still just asking for toys—toys that are just bigger and more expensive now? Did you ask for: financial security, physical health, youth, physical strength and beauty, reconciliation, joy, peace, friendship, to be with deceased loved ones once again, etc., etc., etc.?

As I thought about making up my own “Christmas wish list,” the following questions came to mind:

“What do I desire more than anything else in the world? What is the “pearl of great price” that I will give up “all else” in order to obtain?

In referring to this very thing, Jesus said:

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it. (Matthew 13:44-46)

What might this “pearl of great price” that Jesus speaks of be? What is so precious that a person would give up, or sell, ALL they have to obtain it? I think the answer is given by Jesus in the following passage. This “pearl of great price” is the “kingdom of God/heaven”.

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (Luke 17:20-21)

The Amplified version of the Bible translates the above passage like this:

Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He replied to them by saying, The kingdom of God does not come with signs to be observed or with visible display, Nor will people say, Look! Here [it is]! or, See, [it is] there! For behold, the kingdom of God is within you [in your hearts] and among you [surrounding you]. (Amplified Bible Luke 17:20-21)

Now, I’m not a Bible theologian by any means. However, I sense that the “kingdom of heaven” and the “kingdom of God” are in essence the same thing. They are two sides of the same coin. They are the deepest longings of every human heart. This “universal desire” can be found “within” each person [in our hearts] AND it is “among” us [surrounds us].

The Apostle Paul explained this universal longing for relationship with the Divine when he wrote:

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. (Acts 17:27-28)

One of my favorite Christmas songs is “Grown-up Christmas List” (music by David Foster; lyrics by Linda Thompson-Jenner; and sung by Amy Grant) Here are the lyrics:

Do you remember me?
    I sat upon your knee
    I wrote to you with childhood fantasies
    Well, I'm all grown-up now
    Can you still help somehow?
    I'm not a child, but my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
    My grown-up Christmas list
    Not for myself, but for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
    That wars would never start
    And time would heal all hearts
    Every man would have a friend
    That right would always win
    And love would never end
    This is my grown-up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
    Maybe only in that blind belief can we ever find the truth

No more lives torn apart
    And love would never end

This is my only lifelong wish

I’m somehow sensing that the desire expressed in this stanza of:

No more lives torn apart
    And love would never end

is in very essence what the “kingdom of heaven” or the “kingdom of God” that we all long for is all about. It is the desire that is planted in every human heart to return home—to return to God.

So, what I desire more than anything else in the world is to “return home to God who created me and gave me life.” And the paradox of it is that this desire will never be found in anything outside of myself. It will not be found in amassing great treasures of financial wealth. It will not be found in physical objects and possessions like new cars and swimming pools and palatial homes. It will not be found in robust physical health and physical beauty. And yet these ALL these “outside” types of things will be mine—they will be added unto me—if I first seek “the kingdom of God, and his righteousness.”

At this Christmas Season, the wisdom of the words of the great teacher Jesus resonate with the desires of my heart.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. . . . Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and ALL these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Matthew 6: 19-21 & 31-34)

And so if my greatest desire is to “seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness,” then I wonder: “How I might do this most wisely and efficiently?”

I believe that excellent guidance to this very question is given in the following inspired words of one of my favorite writers, Thomas Merton:

Therefore there is only one problem on which all my existence, my peace and my happiness depend: to discover myself in discovering God. If I find Him I will find myself and if I find my true self I will find Him.

But although this looks simple, it is in reality immensely difficult. In fact, if I am left to myself it will be utterly impossible. For although I can know something of God’s existence and nature by my own reason, there is no human and rational way in which I can arrive at that contact, that possession of Him, which will be the discovery of Who He really is and of Who I am in Him.

That is something that no man can ever do alone.

Nor can all the men and all the created things in the universe help him in this work.

The only One Who can teach me to find God is God, Himself, Alone.
    (p. 38) . . .

This then is what it means to seek God perfectly: to withdraw from illusion and pleasure, from worldly anxieties and desires, from the works that God does not want, from a glory that is only human display; to keep my mind free from confusion in order that my liberty may be always at the disposal of His will; to entertain silence in my heart and listen for the voice of God; to cultivate an intellectual freedom from the images of created things in order to receive the secret contact of God in obscure love; to love all men as myself; to rest in humility and to find peace in withdrawal from conflict and competition with other men; to turn aside from controversy and put away heavy loads of judgment and censorship and criticism and the whole burden of opinions that I have no obligation to carry; to have a will that is always ready to fold back within itself and draw all powers of the soul down from its deepest center to rest in silent expectancy for the coming of God, poised in tranquil and effortless concentration upon the point of my dependence on Him; to gather all that I am, and have all that I can possibly suffer or do or be, and abandon them all to God in the resignation of a perfect love and blind faith and pure trust in God, to do His will.

And then to wait in peace and emptiness and oblivion of all things.

Bonum est praestolari cum silentio salutare Dei. ("It is good to wait in silence for the salvation of God.")
    (pp. 47-48) . . .

During this coming year, may we each take time to carefully ponder what it is that we desire more than anything else in the world. And may we each have the faith and courage to give up, to sell, ALL we have to obtain this. I wish you each a joyous and prosperous new year.

With love, Keith

6. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Beautiful, as always Keith! :):):)

7. D. James Albert

D. James Albert Member

I second that.

Exactly! This is how I did it. I sold everything that I could not classify as essential to my survival, used the money to break free of the system and to pursue my dream life. All it took was enough to cover me during the pursuit process and the rest manifested in due course. You don't need to do this, of course, but if you do, you can accelerate the creation of your dreams. Look around your house - how much $$ is sitting there right now in useless material things that aren't necessary for your survival, $$ just waiting to fund your true journey?

8. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Some of My Thoughts

Darren,
    Thank you SO MUCH for taking time to post on this forum. The insights you share are so meaningful and helpful to me. I read earlier on another thread your suggestion to Edwin on using "Mindbeat" as you fall asleep combined with specific affirmations during the "conscious," i.e., "temporal mind" periods of the day. This process for realizing the things I desire is slowing starting to take root in me. Your book "The Realization System" The Realization System is such an excellent guidebook for manifesting ones desires. Thank you for writing it.

As I've mentioned in other posts on this forum, I use to be very active in organized religion. At this time, I no longer am. However, many of the words from the Bible continue to inspire me. I was raised in the Christian religion, so that is what I am most familiar with. For that reason, that is what I quote from.

Anyway, as I was pondering about your own experience of "selling" all that you had and trusting in the process--one might say God--to receive the desires of your heart, the following words came to my mind:

18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
    20Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
    21And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
    22Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
    23And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
    24And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
    25For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    26And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
    27And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
    (Luke 18:18-27)

I am sensing in many ways the call that Jesus extended to the ruler in the scriptures above. I realize that I can continue to intellectualize and discuss this with you and others forever. However, at some time I will simply need to act. The thought of doing this causes fear to appear because I still attach strongly to what my Indian friend John Paily calls the inferior or human "I". I think Eckart Tolle would call this the ego, and Thomas Merton would call it the "false self."

Concerning the biotechnologist John Paily, I become aware of him and his extensive writings through a dream that fellow Project Meditation forum member karen659 posted here on November 20, 2008. (See: http://www.project-meditation.org/community/mind-body-spirit/1081-out-body-travel-9.html)

John Paily and I are in correspondence. If you or anyone else would care to take a look at his extensive writings, you can find them at: The Secret of Nature - The System Design, the Intelligent Design and the Grand unified Knowledge

The following are some some excerpts I'd like to share:

Indian Biotechnologist John Paily’s Words:

One of the central premises of Vedic philosophy is the Unity and Duality. This is also reflected in all spiritual scriptures. Duality is real; creation came forth from “one” into dual and then goes to form many worlds. The duality is the manifested state. Recall that the Bible tells that God created Adam and Eve in His image. This means God contains both the masculine and feminine image. The only one law that God placed to Adam and Eve was not to eat from the tree at the center. The dominion that God gave Adam and Eve was to create as He created and expand into space in Love and Faith. The call was to live in Love and Faith with central Creator. It was a call to respect the “I” in the middle that Created Him. There are two “I” in each of us, one that belongs to God the other that belongs to devil. The second “I” came by virtue of the fact that we are created using the matter of the world. Behind the “I” we begin to express there exists His “I” that acted as template to create You from the dust. When we work from the inferior “I” we get caught in its vortex of darkness. The light cannot come to us unless the superior “I” that hides in your heart is given the control. . . .

It is apparent that we humans are cells of one universal system born in time. We are supposed to exist in faith and Love to God the Creator at all time. But in time, we humans become self centered. Creating our world and setting out to conquer the opposite. Thus we slowly slip into darkness. We broke the time cycles; created disturbance in the universal time cycles.

The two forces that govern the universe and its existence are Human “I” [that brings death] and Universal “I” [that which creates and sustains]

The law - not to eat from the tree at the center of Eden invariably means:

1] Not to seek the Central throne with a selfish intent
    2] It was a command not to look to the opposite with a conquering and corrupt motive.

These two aspects are the central cause for the all the problems and miseries humankind is facing. Our thoughts are negative and they are not creative. It strengthens the hand of the devil or adds to gravitational force and leads us to gravitational collapse. We thus create death and destruction out of ignorance of the whole and its functioning.

Trappist Monk Thomas Merton’s Words:

Every one of us is shadowed by an illusory person: a false self.

This is the man that I want myself to be but who cannot exist, because God does not know anything about him. And to be unknown of God is altogether too much privacy.

My false and private self is the one who wants to exist outside the reach of God’s will and God’s love—outside of reality and outside of life. And such a self cannot help but be an illusion.

. . . The secret of my identity is hidden in the love and mercy of God.

But whatever is in God is really identical with Him, for His infinite simplicity admits no division and not distinction. Therefore I cannot hope to find myself anywhere except in Him.

Ultimately the only way that I can be myself is to become identified with Him in Whom is hidden the reason and fulfillment of my existence.

Therefore there is only one problem on which all my existence, my peace and my happiness depend: to discover myself in discovering God. If I find Him I will find myself and if I find my true self I will find Him.

But although this looks simple, it is in reality immensely difficult. In fact, if I am left to myself it will be utterly impossible. For although I can know something of God’s existence and nature by my own reason, there is no human and rational way in which I can arrive at that contact, that possession of Him, which will be the discovery of Who He really is and of Who I am in Him.

That is something that no man can ever do alone.

Nor can all the men and all the created things in the universe help him in this work.

The only One Who can teach me to find God is God, Himself, Alone.
    (New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton, pp. 36-38)

9. D. James Albert

D. James Albert Member

Thank you once again Keith, you're too kind.

Here's a thought I would like to offer on the notion of finding onself and finding god and the interrelation between the two. The truth is, the only way to truly find the connection is to stop looking for it.

Have you ever been struggling to find the answer to a question, only to eventually give up trying to remember it - and then shortly after the answer just 'pops' into your head? Or you are trying to find an answer to an question or problem and you can't, but once you go to sleep, you wake up with the answer on your lips? Have you ever been trying to find a certain object in your house, but you just can't remember where you left it, and you search and search and search to no avail. Then, once you've given up, at some other point you'll seemingly 'just spot it', despite the fact that it was right under your nose the whole time you'd been searching?

When it comes to expanding one's awareness into a broader field of nature than is normally the case with a typical human experience, such a connection can be made to occur more spontaneously than deliberately. The nature around you is the essence of what we call 'God', and your connection to this nature is really no different than your temporal connection to form. When we let go, we open up the door so to speak.

This is why I have posted in another thread that there is a certain amount of irony in the truth that the physical can also be the gateway to the non-physical. We can literally meditate when we allow our attention to fall upon a particular physical thing, such as an individual object or a particular task, such as washing dishes. When we do this, allowing ourselves to be in the now by nature of our physical focus, that presence of 'in the now' can catapult our awareness beyond our immediate confinement, and the experience of 'touching god' so to speak becomes something no longer irregular. When it happens, you are still bound by your human self, but you will find all kinds of enbrightening experiences occur, the most common being endless flowing inspiration.

It can make doing the dishes a good thing :p

:)

10. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

"Washing Dishes"

Darwin,

Thanks for your advice. Your statement of: "The truth is, the only way to truly find the connection is to stop looking for it," is resonating with me. I have posted this on other threads, but I thought I'd post it here too.

Your quote below reminded me of something I read recently.

START QUOTE: "I did read about your enbrightenment experience. Interesting that it occurred whilst brushing the teeth. From experience, moments of total awareness often occur whilst we are centred on a physical experience. It's sort of ironic that the physical can be used for such a non-physical experience For me, I get what you experienced quite often from simply washing the dishes! You mentioned that it may be once in a lifetime experience. Let me just say if you've had such an experience, and you continue along your path as you clearly already are, you'll find out soon enough that it won't be the last." END QUOTE

A few years ago I discovered a short story entitled "Big Music" by Margaret Prescott Montague (1878-1955). The story resonated with me deeply. I decided to do some research on Ms. Montague. I discovered that back at the start of the 20th century she was a regular contributor to a magazine called the The Atlantic Monthly. It seems that nearly 100 years ago The Atlantic Monthly served people then much as this Project Meditation forum is serving us now.

In The Atlantic Monthly in an article entitled "Twenty Minutes of Reality," Ms. Montague describes an "enbrightenment" experience she had. Readers wrote in and described similar experiences they had.

Note. If anyone is interested, I have posted both the short story "Big Music" and the booklet "Twenty Minutes of Reality" on my blog. Here's the address: Contemplative Remembrance

Anyway, when you mentioned that you often experience "enbrightenment" while doing dishes, it reminded me of the following reader's experience in "Twenty Minutes of Reality."

The Permanent Ecstatic

What is wrong with my psychology? Why does one very gifted person, with a pen to express what he feels, receive as a vision the psychic experience of joy and the inner conviction that Good is at the bottom of everything which another very ungifted person, with no power of self-expression, has felt with more or less intensity — generally more — ever since her first conscious awakening of thought; but which, until she read "Twenty Minutes of Reality," she always regarded as merely the normal mental attitude of the normal human being?

As I read this very beautifully written article I said, "Of course." "Why, naturally," "Of course," at the ending of so many paragraphs that, at last, I found myself gasping in amazement that any living man or woman should have thought an experience of twenty minutes of reality a thing of sufficient import to write about—it almost took my breath away. But I'm glad they did. For I have been imprisoned in egoism. All my life long (I am forty-four years old), from the age of five years when I danced madly around the first Christmas tree I can remember, shouting "Joy, Joy, Joy!" I've known more than twenty minutes of this unveiled naked reality every humdrum day I've lived—and, up to now, I supposed I was just like everybody else, and that everybody else was like me, excepting misanthropes, valetudinarians, Standard Oil magnates, vivisectionists, and kings who, of course, we all know were born blind.

Note. Misanthrope-a person who hates or distrusts mankind. Valetudinarian-a person of a weak or sickly constitution. Vivisectionist-a person who engages in minute or pitiless examination or criticism.

I supposed every normal person heard this undertone of Joy—this unseen but always felt Reality of things, beating and throbbing underneath the horrible and sad, underneath even the monotonous and dull (which is worse than the horrible because less impressive and intense).

I am a very ordinary woman, living a very ordinary life, my days (the bulk of them, at least) given up to housework — tending my furnace, cooking, dusting, washing dishes; but somehow these duties are never really gray; in the heart of them there's always a glow.

Whenever I tend my furnace I feel a thrill of wonder as I think of the shiny black coal coming out of this miraculous earth, and of the brave, toiling lives of sturdy men that have been spent and sacrificed down in the mines to dig out that very coal so that I can tend my furnace. I really love my coal bin (except when I see it lowering!) for I always feel as though it brought me so close to a big Reality—close to God and close to man. It's like a tremendous link. The Beauty of things I don't find quite so poignant when I'm washing dishes, though there is always a bird warbling in the lilac bush outside my kitchen window or a streak of sunlight on the vines to make me feel the glad wild joy at the heart of life —and did it not sound like too great a silliness, I could truthfully say that I have given way, day after day, to an ecstasy of wonder at the fresh clean water in my dishpan, and have stood, like a gaping idiot, sometimes for several moments, gaping at it as though it were Niagara Falls—and so it is, only a "little less." From the eternal mystery of the stars down to my very dishpan it's all so thrilling, so outside of ourselves, so God- put-together, that there never has been, to me, any "commonplace." The rain pattering on my roof always makes something warm swish around in my heart just as it does when I hear Schumann-Heink; it seems perfectly unescapable, this endless consciousness of Joy and Beauty. As to Eternity it's always made me chuckle. I've always counted on an aeon with Walt Whitman and John Muir, several aeons with Balzac, Dostoievsky, and Burns, the evenings of aeons with The Atlantic, the mornings with Seveik's Violin Finger Exercises, and no charitable organizations anywhere to interfere with the wholesome joy of selfishness and to make one feel elately dutiful and Righteous. Eternity is only fair.