1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

weird meditation experiences, help?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by beingrational, May 28, 2012.

1. beingrational

beingrational New Member

okay i cant find anything about this on the internet
    and i hope im not the only one this happens to

so when i meditate i do around 30 - 40 breaths were i start to feel this tingling in my body.
    if i keep going it gets more and more intense and it escelates until i feel this pressure below my chest were my addrenal glands are.
    by this time the buzzing is crazy intense and i can hear this kinda high pitch tone that vibrates at the same time as the buzzing

now this is were it gets weird

so if i go a bit deeper my fingers start to straighten involuntary, and they get really stiff, and this gets really uncomfortable
    my hands feel like they are falling through the bed
    when i try to bend my fingers they feel like they are locked straight, and it dosent feel natural to close my hand, its like my motor skills are messed.
    when i do close my hand i feel this force pushing my fingers back

am i doing the meditation wrong? im worried if this is bad for me.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi BeingRational and welcome to the Project Meditation community...

Sounds like you are hyperventilating from doing breathing meditation incorrectly.

With breathing meditation the purpose is to observe the natural breathing process.... just observe it... as it quickens or slows or gets lighter or heavier.

Many people new to breathing meditation, who aren't being guided by an experienced teacher or other meditator, is that they often tend to put the focus on the breathing so much that they start to try and regulate it and get the breathing into a steady and regular pattern. This is not how the body naturally breathes and you can end up getting too much or too little oxygen doing it this way... and when that happens it has physiological effects similar to what you describe... tingling... vibrating... heavy chest... light headed... muscle stiffness etc. It's not necessarily bad for you in short spells, but if you were to prolong it and keep repeating the process, it probably wouldn't do you much good.

Perhaps you should try a different form of meditation if you are struggling to just observe the breath. Have you tried downloading the free Discover Meditation course from this site? it's a mantra based meditation that uses a mantra rather than the breath as the awareness point.

Hugs

Giles