1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Weird experience

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Logan32, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Logan32

Logan32 Member

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if you could possibly help me out?

The last couple of times I have meditated I have expereinced what I would call some weird feelings. After I have been meditating for a while for some reason I get a tightness in my upper chest and throat, it almost feels like something is trying crawl out. I know sounds weird I am just wondering if anyone has ever expereinced something like this?

Any advice, personal experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help

2. Midnight

Midnight Member

My guess is that it would be old stress you kept in your body coming out. Does it remain tight throughout the entire session? Does it fade away quickly?

3. Logan32

Logan32 Member

First thanks for replying...

Well it stays and it is so bad I start coughing. It almost feels like something is climbing out of me. I know it sounds weird but I half expect something to just pop out of my mouth when I breath out.

It doesn't happen at first it take a little bit for it to happen and then yes it does stay throughout the rest of the session

4. HD

HD Member

Tightness in chest - I have also had that experience. HD

Hi there, my name is Helen and it is my first day on the forum although I am on disk 7. I have an experience of tightness in my chest (heart chacra) that gets very uncomfortable, my thoughts then race back and forth. the feeling I get is one of almost having difficulty to breathe. I have the impression of this being risidual stuff being stuffed down for so long that it has to ooze out, if I can describe it as such. I hope by releasing what I can little by little, it will sort itself out. Any suggestions? or thoughts?

5. Logan32

Logan32 Member

I wish I had some. I was meditating last night and for the first time in weeks it didn't happen. What I did was instead of forcing the breathign rythmn I allowed myself to take a more natural approach. I use to meditate all the time and could change breathing patterns at will but I think that was part of it. Another I think is what the suggestion was past issues that are unresolved so I decided to just be not focus just relax and it semed to help. I guess meditation is like any other endeavor, if you have been away from it for a while you have to start back off slowly

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Logan and Helen,

copied the following for you from F.A.Q.'s:-

"Don't get drawn into the trap of trying to understand every twitch, itch or fuzzy swirl you feel you experience when meditating with LifeFlow entrainment tracks. Some people say they feel euphoric, their hands feels hot, their feet feel cold, they feel like they're floating, they feel like they're sinking...

You will never come to the end of the list of things people say they experience. Truth be told, a tremendous number of these experiences are simply the result of expectations.

A guiding principle always to be kept firmly in mind is that LifeFlow is not causing the brain to experience any brainwave state outside of its natural capabilities. And for the states of Beta, Alpha, Theta and Delta, these four states are experienced by every one of us virtually every day many, many times.

Every night when you lay down to sleep you begin in Beta and descend through all the states down to Delta then come back up again and repeat this whole cycle every 60 to 90 minutes. All each LifeFlow brainwave entrainment track does is encourage the brain to produce the exact same natural frequencies it is going to produce while you sleep. So whether you use a LifeFlow entrainment track today or not, at some point you are going to go into those brainwave states all on your own, and you're going to do it multiple times.

The difference between using entrainment versus simply going to sleep is that during entrainment you remain conscious whereas during sleep you allow conscious awareness to fade away. And because you release it you are not aware of any feelings that might arise as the various brainwave states develop. During entrainment you remain aware and you recognize feelings and perhaps even a few physical sensations that have always been there but that you were not aware of because the conscious mind was sleeping.

This is very similar to having feelings, thoughts and even physical sensations arise during meditation. It isn't that the meditative state "produced" these things. It simply allowed them to rise to the surface unimpeded by the normal thinking mind, but while awareness is still high. So the experiences that have been simmering down in our depths "seem" to appear because of meditation. But we know those experiences were always there. We were just too preoccupied or too unconscious to notice them before."

I hope this is of help to you and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

I only just got here and was going to answer to your first post, but saw your reply and you've picked up on the very thing I was going to ask you about.

I figured that you are probably focusing on the physical sensations (or "trying too hard" to meditate) as some people often do. If you focus on these things, then you are not letting yourself go into a meditative state. Yes, you may gain some relaxation, but your focus is holding you in the physical senses, and especially if you focus on the breathing you start to try and control the breathing rather than simply let the body naturally breath as it wants to.

The best thing you can do is to use your recognition of these sensations as a trigger to remind yourself to put your focus back on your mantra (the more you practice that the easier it gets, I promise). By taking the focus back to the mantra you let the body just get on and do what it needs to do naturally without trying to force anything, and then you can just observe the mantra (don't try and make the mantra happen in any way or any particular speed etc., just let it come and go as it pleases). You will then get those moments where you finally let go and enter the deep state of meditation where neither the physical sensations or the mantra exist. At first these may be just for short bursts, but with time and practice they become longer, the more familiar you become with this complete awareness and the less the mind is able to take control and drag you back to the senses.

;)

Hugs

Giles

8. Midnight

Midnight Member

I went for months using this passive approach. When emotions were being released, I would feel off for no reason at all, and I just went through the day hoping it would just pass on it's own. So I just tried to find ways to distract myself.

This is not a very effective way to deal with old suppressed emotions coming out of your body. The best thing to do is to completely let go and embrace whatever you're feeling. Let yourself feel terrible and feel it fully. Experience every emotion in the current moment. That is how you process these old emotions and rid them from your psyche forever.