1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Weird energy sensations during meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by 5magics, Jan 15, 2010.

1. 5magics

5magics Member

Hi!

I have been meditating for more than a year now, and the last few months I've sometimes felt a strong energy movement in my body. The energy moves upwards towards my head, and I feel a strong pulsation in this area. I become more sensitive to the energy in my whole body, but it's more intense in the head. I can sometimes sense it to some degree in the head even when I'm not meditating - I sense it now, actually :).

My question is, can someone tell me if this type of sensation could be dangerous in any way? Should I proceed with caution?

Maybe it's also worth mentioning that the sensations began after I started doing a form of sitting Qigong breathing technique. I basically tried to keep my inhalation and exhalation last for as long as possible, and to keep them both at the same length. I haven't done this for a while, though; I felt my meditation became more of a physical exercise, rather than a spiritual exercise, plus my ego easily came in and my breathing became strained and uncomfortable...But my most intense energy sensations came from this type of meditation. Now, when I meditate, I just try to observe my inner aliveness/breathing/mind activity, but the energy sensations still tend to come pretty often.

If this energy sensation is totally safe, could I perhaps somehow benefit from it?

I hope to receive some clarifying answers! :)

- 5magics

2. KeithP

KeithP Member

Hi 5magic,
    I too had very much the same experience when I began Transcendental meditation in 1977. At that time i had no idea what I was experiencing and when I questioned my teachers i was told that it was simply the release of stress.
    In 1992 I began to practice Taoist health and martial arts and learning something of the bodies energy system my experiences began to make sense.
    So far as the Taoist system is concerned your experience would be explained as the Microcosmic orbit beginning to open or move more freely. Your practice has released blockages in the free flow of energy which is now moving up the spine to your head. From the Taoist point of view the ultimate aim would be to continue the flow down the front of your body to the dantien
    (an energy centre situated below the navel) from whence the energy would continually circulate.
    It may be that your meditation has of itself caused the energy to flow but i suspect that your Qigong breathing practice has enhanced matters.
    I do not see this as any cause for concern and the only advice I would give at this stage is to ensure that during your practise you keep the tongue on the roof of your mouth behind the upper teeth. This will help ensure that the energy is free to continue in its circulation and will not become stuck in the head. You may also find it helpful to practice some form of moving Qigong or yoga. Should you wish to study the matter in greater depth then simply enter the terms "microcosmic orbit" or "small heavenly cycle" into a search engine and you will be inundated with information.
    On a last note let me say that many Qigong practitioners struggle for years to experience what you are now feeling.
    Good luck and best wishes,
    Keith

3. 5magics

5magics Member

Thank you for your help, Keith. It is good to know that the energy pulsation in my head is nothing to be worried about, and that it is just a temporary step towards a totally free flow of energy.

Best wishes to you, too,

-5magics