1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

was i meditating?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by 2.see.the.world, Aug 11, 2008.

1. 2.see.the.world

2.see.the.world New Member

hello everyone
    i am completely unexperienced with meditation but i am very interested in it after hearing countless success stories from friends and family.
    I have never had any interest in meditation/inner peace/etc, but a couple of days ago i had an experience where i was sitting on my deck watching continuing droplets of rain splashing into a puddle. I was not thinking about meditation, or anything at all for that matter, and i suddenly went into this trance which i can only describe as the perfect state of being. I cant explain it except to say that i didn't have a single worry in the world and nothing seemed important. I was sitting in the freezing cold and suddenly my body was washed over with this warm sensation and my body temperature was at the perfect degree. It only lasted about a minute before i was interrupted by a friend, but if there was a way that i could experience that more often, it would be amazing and i know i would be better off. It was so strange to feel that way because i am the sort of person who has a million different things running through my head at once! I guess i am just wondering if what happened to me was a state of meditation and if i would be able to achieve it again, and if so, how? thanks !

2. Raven

Raven Member

Meditative states

Meditative states feel different for different people. In fact, even for one person they tend to feel different from time to time. Much of the time you won't feel anything particularly outside of your everyday experience during the time you're practicing. But afterwards, as you go about your normal business of daily life you find yourself experiencing a more consistent state of calm and balance. As you continue to practice over time that sense of calm and balance becomes increasingly pronounced and begins to feel more "normal" and familiar than the state of unrest and agitation that most of us have grown accustomed to living in. That is the long term benefit of meditation.

There are peak experiences sometimes encountered during meditation and they can, as you've come to see for yourself, arise as the result of practicing a meditation technique or they may just come up spontaneously when circumstances are right. Your raindrop experience sounds like it may be just such an experience.

These peaks are given various names; Nirvana, Satori, Samadhi, True Mind, Awakening, and so on. They are characterized by a significant slowing down on our normal mental chatter while at the same time our awareness of ourselves, everything around us, and our relationship to it all is greatly enhanced and sharpened. They can last from a brief instant up to several hours for most people.

There is, however, a close cousin to these peak experiences, and that is "unconsciousness". Not in the sense that you are physically knocked out, but "unconscious" meaning that your mind slows down but instead of your sense of presence being heightened it is dulled. It feels good in a certain sense because all our anxieties, cares, worries and incessant thoughts are quieted, but they are quieted not because we have more fully connected with our Being, but because we have insulated ourselves away from it. So in the end this unconsciousness leads us away from the benefits of meditation rather than onwards toward them.

If you focus on the long term benefits of meditation without getting hung up on trying to achieve the peak experiences, you'll wind up getting the best of both worlds.

~R~

3. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

excellent explanation ~R~