1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

warmed by the light

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Misty Jones, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Misty Jones

Misty Jones Member

I need to know if anyone has experienced what I have. I have successfully meditated one time in my life and I didn't realize I was meditating until I was finished.
    It started off as prayer and then for some reason I kept repeating love is patient love is kind then I asked god to speak to me. All of the sudden I saw a gold light. It started off very small then slowly grew bigger. after floating in one spot it began to drip on me like candle wax and when it did it heated me from my core. It dripped on me 5 times, each time feeling warmer and warmer. after the fifth time I flashed my eyes open because I was so nervous as to what was going on. In the moment it was beautiful and peacefull but for some reason I hesitated. I looked at my clock and what seemed like a 10 minute prayer had really been 2 hours of meditating. I was so shocked at what I had experienced I went online and found that people see lights when they meditate. my problems is all those sites tell you to focus on that particular light."focus on a gold light" or whatever color they are talking about. But when i was meditating i had no clue that people see lights. I have tried my hardest to experience this again but I can't. I think I am trying to hard. is there anyone else out there who has experienced this without trying to see lights. I just don't think you are supposed to focus on anything it is supposed to come to you. please tell me if anyone has been physically touched by the light like me. I want to dive deeper into meditation but i feel like i am going to have to find my own way since websites say "you must practice and get good at it" i have never practiced in my life and felt the most beautiful thing ever. I wish everyone could experience it and i have a feeling the "Masters of Meditation" haven't experienced what i have Not all of them anyways. I just wish i could talk to someone who has really felt what i felt. My sister thinks i am crazy by the way. any help?

2. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I very much doubt. Misty, that anyone here has had exactly the same "candle wax" experience. Many of us, however, have had sudden "events" which seemed to come out of nowhere. They are not as uncommon as you might assume. My own were quite different, but also quite startling at the time.

It is not likely, however, that meditation will allow you to "recapture" that event. And I think you are in for a lot of frustration, if you view meditation in that way. Someone here offered the very good advice to expect nothing inside your meditation; but to look for its marvelous effects in your everyday life.

As for focusing on lights, seeing lights, etc, I'm in a fairly good position to comment on that. My own style of meditation focuses on the "third eye" (between and just above the eyes), and yes, I do see a bright light much of the time.

In my case, it constantly changes color and shape. That area of my forehead also pulsates, and often feels more "liquid" than solid.

But that inward focus is not the purpose of my meditation. And seeing those lights is, in no sense, its goal. I use that technique the way some others here use mantras: to achieve a deep, meditative state.

I'm sure others, wiser than myself, will also chime in with advice. I would pay close attention, if I were you, as there are some very accomplished meditators at this forum.

Best of luck, and I'd be happy to reply to any follow-up questions....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi Misty Jones,
    Warm welcome to the forum.

A wonderful experience was given to you - came to you by Grace - and is an opportunity for you to set out on a learning path.

To try to re-create this experience for yourself, is somehow to devalue it. It may come again, but not because you wish for it with the myriad of human reasons to go there again.

This is not a frequent sort of experience by beginning meditators but it is also not uncommon. What is common, is that the experience is a 'one-off' for many. Those that strive to re-create it generally stop meditating in frustration at the very different experience they have while meditating.

Those that see the experience as an invitation to begin a journey that will have many rewards will make meditation a part of their lives and accept whatever happens during a meditation session. What happens in any one meditation session is as varied as the number of meditators practising, and is not important. What is important is noticing the reaction that comes - sometimes craving to repeat a wanted experience, sometimes aversion to an unwanted experience.

If you feel you want a regular meditation practice - there is a free download of instructions on this site or you may look for instruction elsewhere.
    Find a practice that suits you and practise regularly.
    peace and joy:)

4. Misty Jones

Misty Jones Member

Thank you Bryan and Hazel for responding.

I now realize that I will probably not experience that particular event again. It frustrates me because I already feel my memory losing how amazing the feeling was. I will try to remember that each person experiences different things while meditating. having said that I guess I will have to lay off googling my experience because I now know I probably wont find anyone who has had the same thing happen. Thanks guys for your advice. The next time I meditate I will open my heart like I did last time and hope for the best.

I will start researching more and try to learn from the experienced people on this forum!

Thanks again!

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator