1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Visualisations

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by DeepMeditation, Oct 16, 2009.

1. DeepMeditation

DeepMeditation Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but i've been into meditation for about 6 months. I started visualising things a few weeks ago, mainly for my driving test which I had today (and passed).

Anyway, in the visualisations I tried to visualise great driving technique, aswell as visualise the instructor telling me I had passed. During the visualisations, I for some reason kept visualising myself stalling by accident. In my lesson before my test I stalled about 6 times, which obviously would have made me fail my test. In the last 20 minutes of the lesson I got back to normal and passed my test.

When trying to visualise positive things, how do you shut out the negative? Because I was trying to visualise positive things, and a negative kept coming up.

Thanks.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi DeepMeditation,

It's very common for us to get "negative" thoughts due to the thousands of thoughts that pass through our conscious mind all the time. What we have to remember is that the unconscious mind and the memory works by association and has no concept of "negative" and "positive".

So, with your example, you were visualising driving (in what you percieved as "positive") and the memory or thought of stalling is something that you associate with driving so the unconscious mind put up that thought (that you percieved as "negative") as it was related to driving.

How do you shut out negative thoughts? You don't.

But...

You can recognise them for what they are, simply thoughts, accept that they are there and use that recognition of them as a trigger to bring yourself back to the present task at hand which, in your example, was visualising driving "positively".

The "negative" can always arise in the thoughts, but you can choose to bring yourself back to the "positive" and let the "negative" go.

Hugs

Giles

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yes thats an interesting thing... i tried once to visualise a ladder which i climb up before falling asleep, but i always fell of the ladder with my right foot (not with the left! lol). Anyway, i tricked my mind as i just "overlayed" another thought where i was able to climb up... i think that depends a bit on the willpower in those situations.

4. DeepMeditation

DeepMeditation Member

Thanks 4 the replies guys, regarding the secret and you are what you think, hasnt this happenned right here?

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Yes, essentially we're talking in the realms of the Law of Attraction (The Secret is just Rhonda Byrne's marketing name for something that has essentially been around for a lot longer than she has)

It's not so much a case of "you are what you think", but that "you can attract what you focus on". Subtle difference. ;)

Hugs

Giles