1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Visions of Eyes

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Karmoh, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi All,

I have a question about thought and thought forms.

I’ve been meditating for awhile now, I can sit in my space quite comfortable and peaceful for as long as I like. My meditation nearly always takes the same form. After settling in using a technique called centre, widen and listen, I can be relaxed and ‘IN’ within a minute or two. The next while is tantamount to bliss, initially I have purple swirling patterns in my mind’s eye (reflections of the brain at work?), I let these go, they finally stop and become a glow, then disappear, at this time I’m aware of my body and mind as one, although this feeling is short. I have no concept of the time this happens but I assume around 15 – 20 mins. What happens next is strange as I let go of my breath my mind’s eye (centre of forehead) starts to breath for me. I know this is good, but then the spooky stuff starts, sets of eyes appear, these can be in many forms, wolf, cat, demons, kind human, bad human, sometimes starting as good but turning evil. These last for a short while and I then become aware again, notice my breath as normal and the meditation begins to wind up. I then have the normal thoughts, let them go scenario.

I know all this leading to the spooky bit is normal.
    One point to make is during the eyes part I have no emotions no fear or anxiety, just nonchalance, as if I’m the boss.

I have tried to fathom this stage out but I’m flummoxed.

Should I take these visions of eyes as thoughts trying to disrupt the meditation?
    A buried emotion trying to surface?
    Should ask them who or what they are?

Your thoughts on which way I should take this would be of comfort.

While looking for answers I came across this short excerpt for a Thai Buddhist Monk called Ajahn Mun

“Over on that hill, in that cave, or under that overhanging cliff the air is good, it is right for meditation (bhavana) and the heart (citta) can easily become concentrated and drop into a state of calm. Once the citta has become calm one will be able to see various strange and mysterious things that are beyond the ordinary level of perception. On that hill, in that cave, under that cliff – there are such things out there and anyone who goes to stay there should be careful and self-controlled. They should not carelessly think that because there are no other people and things to be seen or heard, that there is nothing else there. For there are many things which are more mysterious and subtle than the ordinary mind (citta) is able to experience. In fact, there is far more than the material things which we see about us in this world – but we have no senses which are suitably adapted to display clearly their existence to us in the way we perceive other things in the world. So even though they are there, few or many as it may be, it is as though they did not exist at all...”

Apparently…….there is spooky stuff out there :)

2. Midnight

Midnight Member

Reminds me of a strange experience I had in the middle of the night last night. I was having a dream, and somehow the topic of repressed memories came up in my dream. Once I heard that, I somehow was able to "access" a part of my mind I guess and I began seeing a shiny white light. My body was coursing with energy and there was a huge sense of fear that I felt, but I didn't attach myself to it. As I held on to this light, my head felt a weird sensation as if water was flowing through it. I kept holding on waiting for the bright light to fade or something to reveal that I had been abducted by aliens or something, but the white light never faded. Eventually the feeling of fear became too much and I let go, and woke up. Energy was still coursing through my body (it didn't feel particularly pleasant, more like an electric current running up and down), but I felt an intense peace.

I tried to come up with a number of explanations, but eventually I stopped worrying about it and went back to sleep. But now I'm sort of curious again.

3. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

Question - are the eyes observing you or are you observing the eyes or something else like you observing the eyes observing someone (apparently you) but you watching that interplay (like a spectator in the grandstand)?

Olmate

4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Olmate,

The eyes are seeking me, if that makes sense! :eek: special effects ;)

If I look directly at them i.e. acknowledge that they are there, it then becomes eyeball to eyeball, like a mirror.

Oh! My! while writing that……..I wondered if that is exactly what it is………..a mirror image of myself buried deep…….Food for thought.

Another kind that happens is similar to a horror movie (although not scary as I’m not agitated) a head is asleep (or eyes closed waiting) be it animal, human or a mixture of both. When the image comes in to focus, one eye will pop open and stare, if I ignore it will close and fade away, but if I inadvertently acknowledge, both will open and the eyeball to eyeball contact is made.

Sounds like I have some deep clearing to do. :(

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Hi Karmoh,
    In my experience the best way to deal with these experiences is to ignore them and continue on with the meditation. It's easy to get lost in the maze of the sideshow, and easy to try to make meaning out of the images that come and go. The fact is most t of the images have no meaning, are not messages for you or anything like that. They are not much different than random dream images one might see as one falls asleep and as such just well up from the unconscious. Ignore these traps and get back to your meditation and you will go farther. This is the reason that mantras are used to meditate with, because our 'monkey minds' so easy want to play with everything and run all over the place. You will go deeper and learn to control the wealth that is your mind if you ignore the sideshow and stay on the meditation in my opinion.

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Thanks Chillipeppa, :)
    The images are rather like dreams.
    Because they arrive when I'm deep, I have allowed them to infiltrate, I mostly let them go by, but it was the frequency of them that got me thinking that it was an issue.
    I will take your advice and completely let go. As you rightly point out its easy to get involved in the side shows and start believing.

I always knew meditation was tricky, snake oil salesman abound even in my head :) ;)

7. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Karmoh,

I guess we all have our own unique experiences and ways of practicing that help navigate our path. One blessing is that we do not (usually) spontainously combust if we don't get it first time. Repitition of persistent issues is usually the way and that in itself often helps resolve intractible issues - provided we learn from the experience and not turn it into a ground hog day type experience.

As a practice I do like to have a curiousity with what emerges. I do like to notice but nothing more. I also like to try and keep a big sky mind. But of course one trap is that we are excellent meaning making machines.

If it does persist maybe further enquiry - within the context of curiosity or being wide awake - may be worthwhile. This approach may help see different perspectives.

Just a thought.

Olmate

8. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Thanks Olmate,

Quite true, during my meditation early days using the insight technique, one of the most important aspects of letting go of thoughts was that if they return regularly and with these, they are everyday. There could be an underlying message or emotion that needs to be cleared.

So I’ll progress with an open mind, taking Chillipeppa’s advice and letting go, but with intent to look behind the eyes and see if it is a charade. I will endeavor not to play with these images and allow them to be.

At the beginning of my meditations I always state what I’m doing and why, maybe I’ll put an emphasis on ignoring the images and see what happens. I’ll set the gatekeeper to watch and not allow to pass….so to speak

good night all from the shaky isle :)

9. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Please let us know how you progress.

10. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Chillipeppa.

Update on the visions of eyes.

Firstly I had to take stock of what was happening. I then came to realise that as this happens at the deeper level of my meditations say 20mins in.
    I now believe this is what is happening.

While going to sleep each night I have similar visions but dismiss them and drop off to sleep. I believe I let go of these images subconsciously prior to sleep.

I have now been able to let go of these images during meditation. I do this by stating my intentions before meditation and pointing my “Gatekeeper” to watch.
    When they happen I’m brought back to my breath by the gatekeeper (the watcher). Works brilliantly. They have all but gone. When they pop up they a far away and faint hardly recognizable.

Thank you for your time and the pointer :)

Peace :)

11. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

That's great. Sounds like you are progressing nicely with less of the hindrance of those distractions. Thanks for the update!