1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Very strange breathing method induces instant relaxation: What is going on here?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by walterC, Aug 23, 2013.

1. walterC

walterC Member

I'm suffering from insomnia, and one of the (many) things I've tried while lying in bed waiting to fall asleep is to concentrate on my breathing. A while back I stumbled across a very strange breathing technique which makes me feel relaxed after a single breath. It's very strange, I don't know what's going on, and I can't find anything about this online, so I was wondering if you guys can help. Here's roughly how it goes.

1) Body posture is irrelevant. I can be lying down or slouching at my desk, it doesn't matter.
    2) It also doesn't matter whether I take deep (diaphragmatic) or shallow breath. It still works
    4) The *key* is (I think!) in the nose. I feel like I contract my nose muscles in such a way such that when I inhale the air goes inwardly, towards the back of my head. (This is as opposed to regular breathing, during which I feel like air is going almost vertically up my nostrils.)
    5) For this to work I noticed that I need to keep my eyes closed. I think it has something to do with the muscles around the eyes, because I feel them pushing downward toward my nose and deflecting the flow of air inward (as described above).

That's all there is to it. What I find eerie is that I can feel this instantly working after a single breath. My face begins to relax and from there it travels to my head and the rest of my body. After about 5-10 breaths I enter this state of extreme relaxation where my body goes heavy. It feels great (though I still can't fall asleep--though that's besides the point).

Any ideas what's going on here?

2. yogacat

yogacat Member

Hi Walter,
    I am a yoga teacher and deal with many different breaths, this one is not listed in my texts.
    Having done it though it is definitely relaxing. I do not need to close my eyes to do it, and find that I can take it up into my head and down in my diaphragm at the same time. It makes me feel drowsy and meditative at the same time.
    I will investigate further,
    good luck with the insomnia.
    yogacat