1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Very first time

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by DocWannaB, Nov 8, 2008.

1. DocWannaB

DocWannaB Member

Hi, I'm Susan, newbie of noobs. On the advice of my chem professor I am attempting this meditation thing again. I've tried it a few occasions in the past off of things I've just read and trying to relax. I can't ever seem to slow my mind down enough for it to do anything but stress me. I even failed miserably at hypnobirthing when in labor. Just a walking ball of stress I suppose. However, I did just download the files and listened to the first CD. I didn't really like any of the suggested mantras so I found two others that would fit me better. Shanti for peace because I could really use the calming factor and for later when I'm ready to go more in depth Om Namah Shivaya for transformation and it's reference to Phoenix Rising (my own personal theme anyway).

I did get through the 3 minute exercise before the baby woke up, and that seemed somewhat helpful. But I found my anxiety levels rise instantly when I realized I may not even get a full 10 minutes uninterupted to give this the old college try. Any tips for someone desparately lacking in alone time to attempt meditation? I am hoping it gives me the breaks I need to step away from difficult problems and come bakc refreshed and ready to concentrate again, but if I'm not getting time to do this effectively I fear I may just cause myself more grief.

Nice to meet you all. I look forward to getting to know you.

2. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Susan,
    I have a passle of kids too. Sominex works good ya' know! On the kids I mean!
    No but really, I always get up with the birds before anyone else stirs. I've found that if I have to give up sleep time to meditate, I don't even notice it.

gus

3. DocWannaB

DocWannaB Member

Gus,
    Thanks for your response, I'd be more prone to staying up past the kids personally (which is what I tried last night), but truth be told, I think they have it out for me. They *claim* their legs hurt but I think they really want my bed. I think they may be trying to take over the house or something. Baby woke up at 4 a.m. today. I don't think there's any way I could get up before that haha. But on the plus side, we do allow them to stay up an hour late on Fridays but ship them off to be an hour early on Saturdays so hubby and I can have some time to just talk. All is quiet at the moment...gonna go try that second intro CD now...wish me luck.

Oh here's a question, the intro info says to sit with feet on the floor. What if I find this uncomfortable? I'm a person that loves to sit with my feet tucked under me, or indian style. Can't sleep on my back must sleep curled up fetal position. It's just much more comfortable for me cross legged even at 30 something than to plant my feet on the floor (been known to take my shoes of in a restaraunt and sit cross legged :eek:). Is this really going to affect things? I was intending on setting up the bedroom as a *quiet* area which would mean I'm meditating sitting on my bed so I'd probably be cross legged there too.

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

This is closer to the proper way than having your feet on the floor. I think Michael was trying to keep everyone sitting up straight the only way he thought he could. Indian style should work just fine.

gus

5. Fran2008

Fran2008 Member

hi Susan,

you remind me of me! Too stressed and busy to destress! I have kids too and am 8 months pregnant. Not working out of the home at the moment but that's not necessarily easier. I always enjoy work and find it physically easier (not mentally) than running around after toddlers and babies.

One of my sons in particular is very high maintenance and full on for 24 hours a day. We have discovered that food allergies are a big problem for him and cause huge sleeping difficulties for him and of course me! So a very strict diet has helped. Not really relevant except that life is stressful for him.

I have been meditating for the past couple of weeks only and thought you may be interested to hear the positive results I have experienced - note that I am a sceptical ball of stress so am really pleasantly surprised.

I have been playing Life Flow 10 in the back ground when reading bed time stories for my boys and once the light is out, the three of us fall asleep in minutes! I get up after about 15 mins and turn off Life Flow so that the boys can fall into a deeper sleep. I find that they sleep so much more soundly and I have less wake ups.

So I can meditate when they are asleep - it is new for me to be able to do much after bed time because of frequent wake ups.

I do find that 40 mins meditation is not feasible for me right now but perhaps in a few months I will be able to do that. I always fall asleep before the end of my session. But the quality of sleep I get is higher than I have experienced in a long time. Normally I sleep about 2 hours a night at this stage of pregnancy and at the moment I sleep 6-7 hours.

I experimented one night and did not meditate. I fell asleep quickly but woke up 2 hours later and didn't get back to sleep.

I am much more relaxed and positive these days too - but I don't know whether this is due to the better sleep or the meditation. One seems to lead the other so perhaps the answer is both.

Sorry for the long windedness! Just want to say that you should persevere and don't worry about the length of time you manage to put aside - I think any meditation must be better than none.

6. DocWannaB

DocWannaB Member

Thanks Fran for the hello.
    My son also has multiple food allergies. Thankfully we caught them before he turned two and have been avoiding ever since, but he carries an epi pen *just in case* since he breaks out in hives and experiences swelling.

I only have the initial 4 CD intro downloads right now...Life Flow is separate from these correct? I'll have to look into them. But baby did seem to realize mama needed down time last night. And stayed asleep while I did the second intro CD. Will try the third one tonight but will probably only get track one. I found my mind just starts to wander real easily so I end up whispering my mantra to get me back on track. It seems to help me refocus instead of paying attention to the random thoughts that keep popping in my head then I go back to thinking it in my mind again.

We'll see how this works. I'm willing to give it the old college try. :)

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi to you lovely mums

Hi to all you mums and well done on your commitment during what can be exhausting times. LifeFlow, Creative Flow and Optimal learning are so versatile and remember when you need to listen out for your little ones you can listen over speakers and without headphones. I wish you and yours an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

8. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Many time just a few minutes of meditation has saved my day from percieved ruination!!

gus