1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by JCG, Feb 8, 2010.

1. JCG

JCG Member

I was wondering if there are any vegetarians or vegans out there in the PMcommunity?

Peace to you all.
    Jack

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Nope, but my other half is vegetarian. :)

Hugs

Giles

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Why do you ask Jack ?

I have looked into it, thoroughly, and decided it's not for me.
    But I do know a thing or two about it.

Do you want to know something about it ? Or are you just looking for like-minded people ? Or want to enjoy a good discussion about this topic :p ?

4. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

Hi JGC

Im a vegan and have been for about 7 years. I had been a vegetarian for 30 years before that but having read about and witnessed the appalling conditions in producing milk and eggs, in order to keep them at a low price, i stopped eating them. Just after i dropped the dairy produce seven years ago i was diagnosed with prostate cancer, a pretty malignant form that was on the point of spreading, so surgery was out off the question. I had radical radiotherapy. Seven years on the tumour is still active but contained. It is interesting to see that mainstream medicine now suggests a reduction in dairy produce for people diagnosed with hormonal based cancers !

The main point i would like to make though is that veganism/vegetarianism is a very personal choice and certainly should not be dictated to others but environmentally there is a strong case for reducing meat and dairy consumption and ethically a case most definitely to reduce the suffering involved in industrialised animal based food production. Perhaps greater development in the production of organic meat and milk would be a step forward.
    By the way i have never felt healthier, mind you that could be Lifeflow !

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hehe! I for my self think, that humans slowly should grown out of eating animals, as there are plenty of other resources. I compare that with growing out of thinking... like Tolle says, human can make the conscious step not to thinking, while animals unconsciously dont think. So it is with eating each other... we can decide to use other resources then our little animal brothers and sisters.

The second thing would be, how we treat animals we want to eat. The cruelness should be enough reason not to eat animals from the supermarket.

Still, im not vegetarian... anyway, thanks for the reminder :) :)

6. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

Perfectly put Pan :D

Graham

7. JCG

JCG Member

I ask because i'm considering taking the plunge. It feels like the right time for me.

My mother was a vegetarian for many years but due to health reasons had to stop for quite a while. Currently both my parents are vegetarian but they deffinately don't eat as well as they could.

I'd like to hear from anyone with an opinion really. So please reply :)

How has going vege/vegan changed your life? Physically and mentally, good or bad.

Also, has anyone read the china study?

Peace to you all.
    Jack

8. Griffin

Griffin Member

hey jack,

i'm a veggie and have been for about 4 years now. my conscience just couldnt let me be a part of killing anymore. most spiritual traditions promote the notion of non violence as an essential element of physical, mental and spiritual well being, i'm not a christian but the first commandment is 'thou shalt not kill' , not 'thou shalt not kill humans'. hinduism, buddhism, jainism, yoga, maybe even jediism have their foundations firmly rooted in the freindliness of the individual to ALL others. i'm not gonna preach, each according to their own way is the only way, and this is just my opinion. i dont usually express opinions too often because they're a bit like arseholes; everyones got one and they all smell. however, on the subject of killing animals when there are a multitude of healther alternatives around, us i feel strong enough to voice mine. love of all, including the creatures (not just their taste) is a part of my core beleifs and ever since i began living in accordance with them i've been a much happier and healthier soul. love and peace brother.