1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Ups and downs in meditation motivation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Panthau, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Some days i have to force myself to do at least 20mins, and the last 2 weeks im totaly unmotivated.

Im not sure if it is a needed break that my body wants, or if im just lazy or if theres an emotion that doesnt want to be seen.

How do you handle such things?

Thanks
    Pan

2. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

I too, have been through this recently and I am just coming out the other side. I think it is to do with the change in the seasons, personally, I have been feeling really tired and unmotivated, just doing things. It has been a long winter, and I think, when the weather changes it takes a lot out of us to change also, once we start to go with the flow, naturally, as human beings, as animals, we get back up with it. Today I really wanted to do some yoga, I awoke early, before the alarm, as I have been doing the last few days, but instead of feeling listless, and wanting to get far more sleep than the remaining hour before the alarm went off, I lay there, thinking about getting up to do some yoga for a while ... and then I did it, only 10 minutes as that was all I had, but it was something. I told myself at the end that I would fit in some more yoga later, and I did, and lots of other stuff besides, which I 'just haven't got around to doing because I was too tired' recently. Don't beat yourself up, go with it, maybe your body needs to relax, we are animals after all, it is dark a lot of the time, cold and raining, it is time to hibernate. When you emerge you will be vibrant and renewed! Think on that, don't fret, just go with your natural urges. You are not alone ... it's just that a lot of people don't talk about it! x

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yap, your probably right. But i believe thats only one point... it feels like my body is saying, no thanks, no meditation atm. Shouldnt we listen more to what our body tells us? Arent there times for meditation, for eating, for doing sports without beeing forced?

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL thanks for the link :)

6. Midnight

Midnight Member

On the subject of your body needing breaks for meditation, how true is this? Is it important to give your mind/body a break from meditation? At times it's felt as if I should just give myself a break, and sometimes I do, but I wonder if it's necessary.

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

IMO, there is no "need" for the body to have a break from meditation, but we do have other "needs" in our lives that come and go, and it is often these other needs that must take priority. The body can only heal during meditation; it cannot be harmed by it, so there is never a "need" from the body's point of view to stop meditating. It may simply be that the body is feeling absolutely fine and not in need of rest, so the meditation is primarily of benefit to quitening the mind, and this is where, perhaps the additional healing coming the way of the mind is resisted by the mind (oh how it loves to play!) and this is where the discomfort is coming from.

;)

Hugs

Giles

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yup, that sounds true! That seems to be an implemented thing when beeing a human... its nearly impossible to go a way for 100% without getting disturbed by things.

9. Midnight

Midnight Member

Hmm, interesting. I asked this because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed yesterday, but it happened after I became really relaxed...so maybe it is being resisted by my mind. I had a stomach ache all day yesterday, right after an anxious feeling that has been there for a while had dissolved.

Does it resist because it finds an identity in the pain within my body?

10. GilesC

GilesC Member

It resists because it believes that if you were to reach stillness then it will disappear and never return... "fear of the mind" ;)

11. Midnight

Midnight Member

The mind believes the mind would never return? Or the stillness will never return?

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks for the reminder, i have a feeling thats the resistence inside me... its a strong resistance. Any tips on overcoming it? :)

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

Fear that the mind itself won't return.

The mind is created from the patterns of things that have happened in the past. It projects these things to our senses to make us have thoughts about the past and the future. The one thing it doesn't like is the present because in the present moment, the senses get their input from external sources and the mind and thoughts are not needed (so it believes, but we still use it to make reasoned judgements etc., but in meditation we are not even having to consider "doing" anything.)

How can we overcome this... simply keep practicing meditation and let any thoughts or feelings go when you become aware of them.

;)

Hugs

Giles

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

So it is... the only reason why the mind exists, is to secure our survival and everything it does, is aimed on this target. If the mind dies, it believes the body has no chance anymore to survive (which is its main target). So we have to go through that feeling of dying... cant wait, sounds funny!

15. Midnight

Midnight Member

Very insightful guys, awesome :D

16. yion

yion Member

Just wondering. You say you have been unmotivated to meditate. Is that a feeling you have before you sit down to your session or also during your sessions? How have you been experiencing your sessions during this time? Are you even reaching a state of meditation? I know the last is kind of cheeky considering that you have been at it for a while and probably are able to consistently reach a meditative state, but perhaps even for the experienced it sometimes just doesn't work. I haven't been at it for that long (at least not since I started with Lifeflow) and I know that I often reach a meditative state only for a short time during my sittings. Sometimes I don't even know whether I did or not. Kind of weird but I don't worry about it.

I love the answer that this will pass. It is probably the best one out there.

Cheers!
    Yi

17. Panthau

Panthau Member

Nothings consistent about my meditation. Every meditation is different, i have times when i am more "here" and times when i have a hard time to find any piece. I wouldnt say im experienced, im still a student of Advaita and myself, im still struggling with my mind. I still try to catch my ego within the ego... but everything that is left to do, is to accept what is right here... thats the deepest possible piece.

And thats what happend... i was unmotivated, and i didnt accept it. :)