1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Tuning out distractions

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by satsujin, May 8, 2014.

1. satsujin

satsujin Member

I try to do the sort of meditation where you think about nothing instead of repeating a mantra or focusing on breathing. I don't know what it's called. I've managed to do this successfully to a certain extent so that now I don't have all the chatter that rose as thoughts in my head anymore.

However, I live in a city and noises of traffic now distract me. If I hear a horn beeping or engine revving, I hear a single repetition of the noise inside my head which means I'm not thinking of nothing anymore. Also, if I notice my heartbeat I'll hear the badump in my head too.

I would like to know if anyone else has had these experiences and if they've managed to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance...

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Satsujin,

The goal of meditation, is to let go (of thoughts and distractions). They can still be there, but your focus does not follow them. So the reason to repeat a mantra, is to keep your focus in place. Its "not" to avoid thoughts.

The same principle goes for any distraction. If you hear something, your focus goes there... thats ok, just go back to where it was before (in this case the mantra). Dont keep your focus on something you dont want.

Hope that helps,
    Phil