1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Trouble Meditating

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Imed, May 22, 2008.

1. Imed

Imed Member

I am having a little bit of trouble with lifeflow 10 and I was wondering if anyone might have some advice.

The problem is, every time I lay down now to meditate, I end up falling asleep. I just can't stay awake. I have used LF for about 10 times now.

I would meditate in a chair, but I find that I can't just keep my head in an upright position and it starts to hurt.

Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering, will I still benefit from meditating with LF when I fall asleep?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. Grey

Grey Member

sleep & meditation

you will benefit from sleep if your body needs sleep. maybe LF relaxes you and allows you to get rest your body is not getting otherwise. but if you want the benefits of meditation you must meditate and sleeping is not meditating.

3. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

sleepy

Hi imed,

I really would not worry about this unless it persists for a long time. It sounds like you are desperate for some deep rest.

I kind of remember feeling like this initially, I remember a story I heard once about a professor who just began mantra meditation and he just felt so tired all the time initially, he actually fell asleep into his bowl of soup at the dinner table :D True story!

Keep doing what your doing right now and report back in a few weeks, if you are still falling asleep every time which i doubt, I will try and help further.

PW ;)

4. Imed

Imed Member

Thanks for the reply. That was a really funny story.

Unfortunately though, I just fell asleep again after meditating. I get 8-9 hours of sleep every night so I shouldn't be falling asleep during while I meditate right? What time do you think would be best to meditate? Today I tried it right after I woke up figuring I wouldn't fall asleep because I was already just asleep.

Thanks for the advice though. I will try to not worry about it and hopefully I will be able to stay awake tomorrow.

5. PookDo68

PookDo68 New Member

I read somewhere when you begin working with the subconscious it's not unusual to fall asleep at the beginning. It's your brain adjusting to the new stimulation

6. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

Yes, certain forms of meditaion invariabley cause me to fall asleep as well.
    Another factor may be age. I found it much eaiser to stay awake when i was younger. I am 37 now and that is still not "old", but it does make a difference.

7. Imed

Imed Member

I I'm still having a tremendous amount of trouble trying to stay awake while I meditate. I feel like I am just completely wasting my time now each time I try to meditate. Not only that, but when I am done, I feel even worse becuase I know it was another failed attempt at meditating. I just got my dowload for Lifeflow 9, but I don't know if I should try it or not becuase I didn't really get to experience lifeflow 10. I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. Raven

Raven Member

Try this...

In Yoga there's a pranayama technique called the "bellows breath". Try this at the start of your meditation session:

Inhale and exhale through your mouth rapidly to roughly 70% of your lung capacity. You're going for around 2 to 3 breaths per second. It sounds fast but once you try it you'll find it really isn't as fast as you thought it would be. You're only going to do this for a short period. Start with 10 seconds of this breathing. After 10 seconds allow yourself to breathe normally for 50 seconds. This is considered "one cycle", and totals up to be one minute. Repeat the process once or twice more, then start your meditation.

Now, here are the rules:

Rule #1 - At this fast pace you are literally pulling air in and forcing it out of your lungs, but you don't want to "chest breathe". Make your diaphragm muscle do the work. If you lay one hand on your diaphragm and the other on your chest as you do the bellows breath you should be able to see your diaphragm hand rise and fall very distinctly while the hand on your chest rises and falls but only to a very limited degree. The diaphragm muscle needs to get a workout. In fact as you finish the 10 second fast breath portion of a cycle you may notice towards the end that muscle will fatigue and you will quite literally be unable to breathe at a pace as fast as you were at the beginning. This is normal. With practice the diaphragm becomes stronger and gains endurance and you'll be able to sustain the desired breathing pace.

Rule #2 - Some yoga instructors insist this breathing should be done through the nose, not the mouth. My experience, at least for the purposes you'll be using the bellows breath for, are that it doesn't make any difference. Mouth, nose, or both at the same time. Whatever works for you.

Rule #3 - With practice you can extend the length of time for the fast part of a cycle. Correspondingly, decrease the length of the normal breath part of the cycle so that it still totals only 1 minute. Personally, I recommend you don't go beyond 30 seconds of fast breathing and 30 of normal. Past 30 seconds of rapid breathing tends to result in a buildup of more carboxylic acids (like lactic acid, etc,) in the blood, and that's not really what you're going for. Also, if 2 to 3 breaths to start with is just too fast, i.e., your diaphragm just won't go that fast or else you are able to go that fast but you quickly become dizzy, then slow the pace down to what you can comfortably do. In time you'll be able to pick the pace up.

Rule #4 - Limit the inhale to about 70% of your lung capacity. Don't try to take maximum breaths. This will likely cause you to breathe more slowly and result in a mild state of hyperventillation. Keep it to 70% and keep the pace at something that does not result in dizziness.

Rule #5 - At any time during your meditation session if you begin feeling sleepy, pause your meditation technique and slip in a cycle of bellows breathing then go back to your meditation. Yes, it will break up the session but I believe you'll find you re-enter meditation fairly rapidly again. Odds are if you start with the bellows breath, over the course of say, a 20 minute meditation session, you probably won't need to invoke another cycle of bellows breath more than once, or (in an extreme case,) twice.

The bellows breath maximizes blood oxygenation, stimulates blood flow in general, tones that diaphragm muscle, gives you a very slight and temporary raise in blood pressure (so use this with caution if you suffer from hypertension,) and just plain gives you an energy boost any time you feel like you're starting to tire.

Try it with your meditation and see if this helps.

~R~

9. Imed

Imed Member

Wow, that sounds really interesting. Thank you so much for the reply. I will definitely try it with my meditation later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

As a side note, feeling your meditation doesn't succeed is a basic flaw many people have when they start meditation.

Even if you fall asleep all the time, your meditation can't be wrong.
    Right now because you experience your falling asleep as annoying, your focus has shifted from wanting to meditate towards wanting to stay awake while meditating.

That is not the goal !
    In fact, there is no goal ! Meditation is the goal !

and when you lie down to meditate and become so utterly relaxed that you fall asleep, you certainly are doing it right, but your body has to get used to your relaxation it seems.

and finally: I have been meditating for more than 7 months and I still fall asleep sometimes on Lifeflow :rolleyes:

11. Imed

Imed Member

I know you can't technically 'succeed' at meditating but, like you said, "Meditation isthe goal" and if I am falling asleep, then that is not meditating and not meditating is the same thing as failing to meditate all together, and that's where I got "failing" from.

I hope you are right about my body just needing to get used to the relaxation because it seems like everything I try, has not worked yet. Maybe I'll be like Thomas Edison and find 10,000 ways not to meditate.

Also, the paranayama technique unfortuantely did not work either but thanks for the help anyways Raven :).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Imed, Maybe try just twenty minutes for a while. You could follow your meditation with the gratitude exercise (music lasts for 7 minutes if you don't already know) If you can accept what is happening and try not to analyse it at all for a couple of months, I'm sure you will find this successful. In the grand scheme of things, 20 to 30 minutes a day for a couple of months is like a drop in the ocean. Your future health and happiness is worth a shot. The worst thing that can happen is you'll feel really grateful for all the wonderful things you have in your life. I wish you happiness and joy on your journey of self-discovery :) :) :)

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

Actually, Pollyanna's reply got me thinking.

After how many minutes do you usually fall asleep ( if you can measure that of course :p )

You see, your problem is not strange in itself, in Zen meditation there is always a Zen master around who can, if you start to feel sleepy, give you 2 firm blows to the neck with a stick :eek: after which you are almost guaranteed not to feel sleepy anymore... :D lol I know how that sounds.
    You could try setting an alarm on your watch or mobile phone every 10 minutes too ! Usually the sounds of these alarms are just enough to keep you awake, but not loud enough to really annoy you.

When you hear the alarm, just calmly open one eye, deactivate the alarm and return peacefully yet awake to your meditation ! Think of it as your Zen-stick :cool:

14. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

15. Imed

Imed Member

Wow, thank you everyone for all of the great responses. You guys are all so nice and caring and I really appreciate it. I've seen a lot of great ideas in here and I see that there are a variety of different things that I can try. Thanks again everyone for all of your input.

16. Edwin

Edwin Member

Please keep us informed !

So far most people in this community have been helped by all of us, and with so much know-how and enthousiasm I can't imagine your problem can't be fixed...

:)

17. John

John Member

I consider meditation as a form of relaxing and calming the mind - which can result in a sleep state.
    What do you actually want to achieve with meditation.
    Life flow 1 goes down to delta waves which are slow and sleep inducing .
    If you want to stay awake listening to lifeflow 10 and you get enough sleep at night - how much energising physical exercise do you get during the day ?
    Hope above thougyts helpful
    Regards
    John