1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

trouble keeping eyes closed

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by free will, Jan 15, 2009.

1. free will

free will New Member

:eek: hi

i have a problem when trying to keep my eyes shut while meditating. it didnt happen yesterday (day 1 of using discover meditation mp3's) but it did today and i have often had the "problem" over the last 10 years. usually i let my eyes do what they want and quite often i will meditate with them open (staring at ceiling in a trance) especially if it feels more uncomfortable trying to keep them closed!
    it feels fine to me until i have to meditate say, in a group. then i cant focus because of things going on around me. following the discover meditation mp3's it seems to me that it could be "important and beneficial" as stated in the 2mins of keeping eyes shut when letting go of my mantra.
    i did have some green tea (low caffine) before my med. today but it was a good hour before. should i maybe leave the tea completely out?

ideas, suggestions and answers to weather it really matters are most welcome!

thanks

free will :eek:

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

There are more than one different ways to meditate, and one of them is with eyes open. Staring gets you into a trance, and a trance is something to avoid during meditation tho.
    What I recommend is to let your eyes drift out of focus by relaxing the muscles. So, when you are looking at a circle, it will turn into a pair of circles, like a children's drawing of spectacles, or the olympic rings if you get my drift.
    This is the best way to keep the eyes open during meditation according to different methods, so give that a try :)

After a year of meditation I have noticed that everything you ingest matters. A few beers the night before can affect my meditation the next day, too much coffee can too, but too much to eat, or too much harmfull fats can too.
    Even too much meat seems to have an effect, but I deny that usually :p

Michael says to stop eating and drinking an hour before meditation, and at least 24 hours of soberness from alcohol or drugs ( cafeine not being a drug :p)

Happy meditating !

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. blueskygal

blueskygal Member

Meditation with eyes open

Thanks for the good info Edwin. Last week it was so beautiful here i did not want to close my eyes. i had limited time before going to work and wanted to enjoy the natural beauty in front of me and mediate. so i meditated on the beautiful afternoon light in the trees while listening with phones off. i like the idea of the eyes going "lazy" i.e. not focused.

also i realized that i often "meditated" while floating on my back in a pool and looking up at the sky/trees - and just listening to the sound of my breathing as a pacer. this wasn't a deliberate attempt to "meditate" - just what i did naturally - which suggests that there are times when we do this by ourselves without even knowing it!

Yesterday a friend at work explained why we should wait after eating. meditation slows our body processes down so would interfere with digestion

4. Grey

Grey Member

this sounds like pure heaven!

5. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Blueskygal, I have to agree with Grey - that sounds like heaven, especially with -25 C temperatures outside, here in the frozen north. :eek:

Free Will, regarding meditating with eyes open in a group, what happens if you cast your gaze downwards to the floor in front of you? The Tibetans do that. And if that doesn't work and you're still aware of people in the room, you could try relaxing your face more completely so that your eyes want to drift shut... relaxing the tongue, softening the space between your eyebrows, using breath to let go more and more.... It's amazing how deep you can go, doing that....

Experiment. It's fun! ;)

Bhavya

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

Im using a "sleepmask" (if thats the right word for it), so it
    doesnt matter if my eyes are closed or open. Maybe thats something
    for you.

Greets
    Pan